Isaac
Years ago

Breakers give Leon Henry a two-year deal

Leon Henry says he prayed to the "man upstairs" that the New Zealand Breakers would find room for him in their squad shooting for a three-peat of ANBL titles.

Those prayers were answered yesterday as the two-metre forward was inked to a new two-year deal - the seventh player from the title-winning squad to be retained.

Henry joins Alex Pledger, Tom Abercrombie, Dillon Boucher, Daryl Corletto, CJ Bruton and Mika Vukona as returning Breakers, with just the two import spots and one more local position – most probably another guard – to be filled.
Wonder if the second year is a mutual option? Bit surprised that they didn't just go with a single year otherwise.

Topic #28352 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Guess they want him in the picture for the next couple of years and Vickerman mentioned in that article that his main job is to guard Abercrombie everyday at practice

Reply #363318 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Plenty of potential in Henry as a loooooong 6'7 swingman. The coaches obviously like the strides he made this year. Averaging 6p and 4r at 45% from 3p in a SF series obviously helped push his case along.

Reply #363325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed Isaac, no need to waste a two-year deal on Henry. Unlikely anyone else would've picked him up only averaging 2.8ppg at a woeful 29% (28% on 3's).

Reply #363349 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Agreed Isaac, no need to waste a two-year deal on Henry. Unlikely anyone else would've picked him up only averaging 2.8ppg at a woeful 29% (28% on 3's).

more to Basketball than shooting percentages.
He can defend, rebound, shoot the 3, is a local and gets along with the rest of the team.

Reply #363355 | Report this post

Elvis  
Years ago

What's an ANBL title? %$#%@* Kiwis!

Reply #363357 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mystro, not questioning signing him at all, but was anyone else going to bring him into AU for a deal? Can't see it happening. Could something happen after the next season that might make them wish they didn't have to pay him out? Yes (injuries to others, other players becoming available, etc). I can appreciate the hustle guy who knows his place and I know the Breakers are very keen to be a real "NZ" team (Pledger, Abercrombie, Vukona, etc) but if you can get away with a shorter contract, I would be doing it.

If he was likely to rise dramatically in points value, maybe, but I don't know how likely that is. Like I said, I'd be going one year and a club option if anything. I think some players tend to push themselves more when they are in a contract year. Maybe Andrej figures he needs to relax and a two year deal will help him do that.

Of course, it's not like they are poor and can't throw money away as goodwill if need be, but it sounded like he'd be happy enough with a contract at all.

Reply #363362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Elvis, Kiwis call the Aussie league the ANBL just like Aussies call the NZ league the NZNBL when it is also just nbl!! Get over it

Reply #363375 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Leon can really play.

It was really tough to prove himself in a Breakers singlet, because he got limited game time, and when he was on all he had to do was the little things (deflecting passes, getting key rebounds, running the lanes, challenging shots)

If he was at a team like the Hawks, you would get to see a bit more of his offensive potential. But with Abo, CJ, Ced, Wilkinson and Corletto he wasn't required to be an offensive machine.

Look at someone like Bartlett. If he had played for the Breakers, he wouldn't have been as effective as he was for the 36ers, merely because he wouldn't have been required to do as much

Reply #363376 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

If Weigh was in the Breakers team, he wouldn't be merely as effective. He would be backup to Abercrombie, and would get limited offensive touches.

But that doesn't mean he isn't a good player.

Players just have to adjust roles to fit the needs of the team; PPG averages don't always reflect how well a person is carrying out their prescribed role

Reply #363379 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MACDUB, Bartlett first showed his ability playing for the runner-up Wildcats. Got some time and showed enough there and they aren't a weak team!

I don't think Henry would get a gig in Adelaide, to be honest. I think almost every coach in the league would prefer Weigh or Creek.

Very loosely related: we had Winitana at one point, though he was mostly injured. It was frustrating seeing so little but knowing from NZ NBL what he could do (and is still doing!).

Reply #363382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Winitana was a spud in the NBL, there is a pretty big difference in standard between the NBL & the NZNBL, Isaac.

Didn't David Cooper win the league MVP award over there once? Probably not much better than ABL really.

Reply #363389 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

He'll get more minutes this season and you'll see what Macdub and I are talking about.

It was only a year or so ago Abercrombie needed a jumpshot and now he's one of the best 3point shooters in the league.
Henry isn't going to be MVP or anything but he's better than most of you think and he'll get better. I'm happy with him getting a 2year deal.

Reply #363412 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

Henry rebounds and plays defence. What else do you want from a bench player?

Reply #363453 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Admittedly, I've only really seen him a few times other than the GF series but speaking specifically about that series he looked way, way out of place. Got the right body, 6'7, long arms but just didn't seem to be mentally there at all. Appeared a liability out there. Agree with Isaac, any club would rather Weigh and Creek.

Reply #363485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NZNBL "Probably not much better than ABL really"

2010 Rashad Tucker NZNBL - 8.0 points, 8.7 rebounds, 3.6 assists
2011 ABL - 19.5 points, 14.4 rebounds, 5.5 assists

2009 David Cooper NZNBL - 7.0 points, 4.7 rebounds, 1.3 assists
2010 ABL - 13.7 points, 12.4 rebounds, 1.7 assists

Reply #363492 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What year will people stop trotting out the Cooper NZ NBL MVP line? How long ago was that?

Wasn't expecting Winitana to score 20 PPG, but he performed below his potential.

Reply #363498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because it's a fact Isaac? Cooper also lead the NZ league in rebounding another year too. This was all less than ten years ago too btw

Reply #363516 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On Winitana his career high average in the NBL was 4.4 ppg one season with the Breakers so just not sure what you expected from him at the 36ers (2.9 ppg)?

From memory the only annoying thing about his season here was the fact due to his religious faith he 'couldn't' play or train on Sundays which a few times during the season left us a man short.

Reply #363522 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Paora Winitana was extremely athletic and strong. Had tons of potential but never reached what he prob should have. Injuries made it tougher but it used to piss me off with that "can't and won't play on Sundays" shit.

Reply #363583 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I chuckle at the Cooper thing too Isaac. It's like someone saying the NBL is shit because Brian Wethers won MVP many years ago.

Reply #363584 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:17 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754