Isaac
Years ago

Orlando axe Coach Van Gundy and GM Smith

The Orlando Magic have made the moves they had to make to have any chance at persuading Dwight Howard to sign the contract extension he's balked at until now.

The Magic announced Monday that coach Stan Van Gundy and general manager Otis Smith have left the building, which removes the two prime personalities whom Howard -- rightly or wrongly -- had lost faith in.
He reached the playoffs in all five seasons with the Magic and racked up 31 playoff wins. That's more playoff wins than the franchise had in its previous 18 seasons of existence.

Since Van Gundy took over, he led the Magic to a better regular-season record than all but three teams. The only franchsies who were better are the Los Angeles Lakers, Boston Celtics and San Antonio Spurs.
Right call?

Topic #28365 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

Star players should shut up & play. He is a great coach!

Reply #363469 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

They'll panda to Howards demands and then he'll still leave when he doesn't get a championship like every Star player Orlando has ever had.

Reply #363471 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Ewing can apply for the coaches job if he doesn't get the Bobcats gig.

Reply #363472 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Dumb move, but I'm sure their answer is "Fans don't pay to watch the coach". Problem with that is that fans don't come to watch a team that's always losing either.

As Mystro said, expect the Magic to under-achieve and Howard to leave. Bet ya he'll blame everyone else but himself if they bomb.

Reply #363478 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

While I think firing SVG was a bad move, I actually don't mind that they've fired Smith. The problem with Orlando for the past 2 seasons has been personnel - they've had no real backup at the 5 for Howard (trading Gortat was a stupid move), their trades have been downright horrible (yeah Lewis had a massive contract, but Gilbert Arenas?!?), and aside from Howard their roster is mostly made up of older guys / journeymen.

I've never liked how they've been such a "live by the three" team when you have such a defensive stalwart in Howard. Pair him with a decent PF like LA do and you have the makings of an awesome defensive team. I always thought they'd do better with a pass first PG and a spot up shooter.

Reply #363486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this is the reason San Antonio is so good. No egos, no dickheads. I'm sure Dwight loved the fact he's not part of the playoff action right now.

Reply #363499 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

When you're getting paid a fortune to play 3-4 games of Basketball a week and nothing else, you need to shut the hell up and play.

Getting rid of a GM is nothing special, considering anyone with business sense can fill the role; besides he made the decisions to pull those stupid Rashard Lewis and Gilbert Arenas trades.

SVG was a bloody good coach and considering the winning record, I think it was a dumb decision. Knicks need to look at SVG pronto. Stop screwing around with the idea that Phil Jackson will coach again.

Reply #363530 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

otis smith leaving is the best thing that could possibly happen to the orlando magic that bloke was a straight up kook

Reply #363542 | Report this post

Maxx  
Years ago

All things considered Orlando did fairly well this year. They still made the finals and I dare say that if Howard hadn't got hurt then they would have had a bloody good shot a playing for the trophy.

The bottom line here though is that the Magick isn't selling enough Van Gundy singlets to warrant them keeping him over Dwight, who on the other hand has provided the franchise with a pretty good bottom line and world wide fan base.

Reply #363574 | Report this post

Giggles  
Years ago

I think Howard is already checking out LA. Can see Bynum and change coming to the Bible Belt while Dwight play Robin to Kobe in the hope of reloading the Lakers.

Reply #363575 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Orlando has had some decent players over the years and no Championships. Penny Hardaway, Shaq, McGrady, Vince Carter (to a lesser degree as he was old when he went there), Howard etc
If Howard leaves, they will get another and still prob not win a championship.

Reply #363582 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Mystro

Don't forget Grant Hill to that list even though he was injured for the majority of it.

Reply #363607 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Coach gone and Howard apparently still wants out:

When the news first broke Monday that Van Gundy had been fired and Smith had agreed to leave, the knee-jerk reaction was to assume that Howard had won the power struggle, and the Magic would now empower him to have a say in who the new hires would be — provided he agreed to sign a contract extension and commit to the Magic for the long term.

But in fact, the source said, Howard wants out of Orlando more than he ever did before in order to start a new chapter of his career. And it is well-known throughout the league that the Magic do not want to endure another soap opera season like the one they just experienced.
Nice work, Dwight.

Reply #363611 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Yeah I heard since the sackings that Dwight still wanted out too. Glad someone else discovered the same thing.

Reply #363630 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:27 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754