Spursfan
Years ago

Can anyone really challenge the Spurs?

With the way they are currently playing, the Spurs are one of the best basketball teams I have ever seen. They are well ahead of the rest of the league atm, is there any team that is a realistic chance of knocking them out?

Topic #28368 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a spurs fan I can only see the thunder or the celtics to knock them off and that's only if they play at there best but then I don't think that will be enough to beat the spurs the reason why I didn't say Miami is there is to many egos there and they have too many weakness especially with bosh out

Reply #363572 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

sydney kings would give them a crack....

Reply #363586 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

If the Mental Focus of the Thunder doesn't faulter, then I think the Thunder could take them in 5.

Spurs are a disciplined team; we saw the Thunder drop out of the Quarter Finals two years back because they lapsed on defence in the last few seconds.

The wildcard for me will be Serge Ibaka; if he's on song with his internal D this series, I think he can reduce the impact Parker has.

Reply #363596 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

How good would it be if they swept their way to a championship.

Thunder could give them a run for their money but really the way they are playing Spurs should get over them.

Can we start the Patty Mills has a ring and Lebron doesnt jokes early?

Reply #363609 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

As great as they are, the Thunder can't really defend as a team against a disciplined offense. Guys like Ibaka are great weak side defenders but you'll often see guys put up big numbers on him (good shot blocker rarely equates to being a good interior defender). I don't think it's quite their time yet. Almost certainly next year, but not yet.

The Thunder's lack of offensive discipline will see them come undone against this Spurs team. They run the most isolation plays out of any team in the league by a wide margin, which is fine since they have three fantastic scorers in Harden, Westbrook and Durant. Unfortunately, that will only get you so far in the grind of the playoffs. The two teams they've played so far: Dallas & LA were both old and extremely unstable as a unit, surrounded by turmoil and imploding under controversy.

Either way, the Thunder & Spurs are the two best teams in the league this year, and it should be a great series.

I say Spurs in 6. Then Spurs sweep the final.

But no matter who wins, this WC Final is for the championship.

The East is full of hard-fighting teams that are built on defense and team-first concepts but downright struggle to put points on the board. I don't think the Spurs will have trouble with any of them this time around (ie. the eliminated Chicago, Philly, Indiana, Miami)

Reply #363624 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

There are going to be some INCREDIBLE match ups in this series!

Westbrook v Parker

Harden v Ginobili

Perkins v Duncan

Durant v Leonard will also be interesting as well. I'd Leonard is the only player with the length to guard Durant and I think this will be the difference in the series. Durant has to go off for them to win it.

Reply #363633 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Spursfan and others I think you are getting ahead of your selves.

Spurs played Utah in the first round whom were probably the worst team in the playoffs.

Second round played Clippers whom were 32 wins and 50 loss's the season before. Sure they have added Paul and have improved but still with only Paul and Griffin they aren't the toughest competition to play against.

So basically they have had 2 easy first two rounds opponents and as a result have swept them as pretty much expected.

Spurs might go on to win the title but the first two rounds for them don't say much. It could also hinder them as OKC had Dallas and the Lakers, MUCH stronger competition and should have them ready to go against the Spurs.

Either way as long as Miami doesn't win it ill be happy

Reply #363651 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The reality is OKC, Spurs and Miami are such a cut above the rest in this shortened season that they were always going to have easy runs until they played each other. LA and Dallas were ready to just implode and were always bound to struggle mentally.

Now that Bosh is out, however, Boston may challenge Miami.

Reply #363668 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

It wasn't always going to be an easy season for the Spurs. No one expected them to do what they have this year.
KingJames - say what you want about Utah and Clippers, but the fact is the Spurs have won 18 in a row by an average of 18 points running an unheralded rookie as their prime perimeter defender and a 36 year old centre. It's been team basketball, discipline and defence (not talent on paper) that has got them to where they are. They have a chemistry that Miami can only dream of.

The Spurs are that good at the moment that as a Sputs fan I forget that Stephen Jackson is even on the roster. He's bought into his role as a bench player, which is why they are so successful right now.

OKC are a great team, but unless they go to another level or the Spurs drop off a bit (dare I say thru injury) then the Sours will win in 5 or 6 games.

Reply #363680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not hard to look good when you are playing the jazz and the clippers. Jazz are a young team who barely made the playoffs and the clippers are all hype with no playoff experience. no disrespect to the spurs but I dont see it as one sided as some do.

Everyone seems to have written off the heat prematurely too. i know its easy to hate the heat but this is a team with all the ingredients to win the ship. I wouldn't let the losses in indiana fool you.

OKC v MIA

Reply #363689 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

GO SPURS, you good thing you!

Reply #363761 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:26 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754