Ballgun
Years ago

Father-Son rule for basketball?

What does everyone think of having this rule for selecting players for your club outside of salary cap and points?

ie

Maher or Sapwell have a son who makes it to Nbl the 36ers could pick them up first with some concesion

Also, the great Michael Ahmatt has a grandson born in USA - would he be an import or Aussie? His dad is Oz and mum is American

Topic #28394 | Report this topic

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Make that 2 grandsons.

Reply #364120 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Might be a logical flaw in the Ahmet case with a father-son rule.

Reply #364122 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

As there is no draft in the NBL then I don't see the need for this sort of rule in the first place.

Reply #364125 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

lol

what is your thinking here??

only thing to stop a team from signing someone is if that person isnt interested. a son of a former player can sign with any team that wants him. only restriction would be points/salary cap and circumventing that makes it pointless, and besides if a team wanted them that bad they would make room for them by choosing them over another option ie an import.

didnt think this through or not familiar with the sport????

even in the nba who have a draft i dont see any relevance of a f/s rule as players move so freely and easily anyway. why would curry want to go to the club his dad played for?? does it really exist.. is it the new orleans hornets or the charlotte bobcats?? dunno, until then he will be happy playing for golden state on his million dollar contract til he gets a better offer.

Reply #364128 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Does Julius Hodge have a son?

Reply #364137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which team would shaq's kids play for..would they change teams every couple of seasons?

Reply #364141 | Report this post

If you are talking about the son in Germany ATM don't worry he want end up in the nbl! To good for this league

Reply #364165 | Report this post

Ballgun  
Years ago

Phil, I have thought about it.
My thinking is as follows:

1. Encouraging former greats to have there son's play for the same club is good for the league because fans remember the former greats and Lord knows the NBL has a problem with itentity.

2. Each team has to fit there 10 players in to the salary cap & points cap so if clubs could sign a" son of a gun" over & above the cap and with 0 points then it would make it easier to keep them at your club

3. This would be better for the NBL because you could have another Gaze or Maher running around for the 36ers or Tigers

The AFL have the rule, so why not the Nbl with a different twist?

A good example would be DMac's son
I believe he played SEABL but didnt make the Nbl
Perhaps if he was offered a spot on the end of the Tigers bench for 0 points it could have been the kick start he needed and the fans would love seing DMac2 running around, even if only for training fodder

Reply #364171 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

How many clubs have folded over recent years?
Does a 're-emergence' after a year or 2 out of the NBL count? What if the team had a name change? Not many have a strong history like Adelaide, Perth etc, so can't see how it would ever be considered.

Reply #364173 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The AFL have the rule, so why not the Nbl with a different twist?
The AFL have a draft, whereas the NBL doesn't. Our caps might influence signings but they don't outright prevent them as the draft could initially.

A junior Sapwell could sit on the end of a bench as a development player as it is. I don't think a zero point rating is a huge advantage over a single point rating. If the player is good enough and the player/club deem their involvement to be valuable off-court as well, then I'm pretty sure it would be happening already.

Reply #364175 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Ballgun, DMac's kid did play about half a dozen NBL games, including a couple with his Dad.

Reply #364176 | Report this post

FO SOJ  
Years ago

I like the rule. Should be mandatory and the son should start.

Reply #364182 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Hey I have a quick question not really related to this topic however.

Are Pacific Islanders counted as Imports in the NBL?

My initial thought was no, can anyone clarify.

Just wondering, because the amount of talent from the PI is increasing dramatically.

Quite a few college basketball players out there with Samoan/Tongan and Fijian in them..First and Best that springs to mind is Peyton Siva.

Reply #364195 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

There is already a similar unwritten NBL rule that says that if the coach has an NBL-standard son, the son must start his NBL career on the same team. The rule was well received when we saw the Gazes, the Blacks, and to a lesser extent, the Kerles, but then the rule backfired with chaotic results with the Wrights and the Joyces. To this day, the NBL still hasn't fully recovered.

Reply #364205 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

Pacific Islanders would be imports i'd reckon, but they shouldn't be, nor should Asian players.

Reply #364267 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:45 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754