hoff46
Years ago

Is the country program working ?

My kids are both non starters now with the country program.I wouldn't mind if they deserved it.Its not the families fault.I commend them on their time spent travelling etc.Its the stubborn coaches who think they've found a diamond ,but its only glass .They stick to their decision and promises which are so blatantly wrong.And the summer /winter players suffer for this.One team has done this with a whole family of three?Wouldnt happen in any other sport ,especially with the country kids Ive seen.I really think the gamble for a quick fix is not a great thing for club harmony and future success.

Topic #28416 | Report this topic

Years ago

i know it is tough - but it is the coaches call.

prove them wrong !

speak with the coach regarding your concerns.

there may be reasons that you do not see.

maybe a role player is required, 1st year vrs 2nd year etc etc

I know some our bench players play better - but they are best coming on just after the starters for our opponents are fatigued.

But when they start we don't get the same effect.

Reply #364477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could anyone from one of the successful clubs explain how their team selection works at their club? I have heard that to play Div 1 at Forestville, Norwood or Sturt, you must be top age. Div 2 is then the rest of the top ages with some good bottom age. I know that when there is two teams, the second team is generally bottom age players who will be that club's div 1 team next season.

Div 3 is then those who are new to the club, bottom age, or uncoordinated top age players.

Team selection where my child plays is grossly affected by promises made to country players or players changing clubs. Player morale is rock bottom as a result.

Reply #364590 | Report this post

juno477  
Years ago

Not true. Most div 1 teams have one or two bottom age players. ACtually I think there are at least two teams in U18 boys this year that are nearly all bottom age.

Reply #364595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville, Norwood & North are the main offenders! Mavs have always been country players, with Centrals now just about all Country. Sturt for once dont subscibe to this "easy fix", and develop their own players.

Reply #364611 | Report this post

Secret Sabres  
Years ago

At Sturt the best 8/9/10 players make div 1 regardless of age. Based around all positions and needs of a team. ie, 10 point gurads do not all make for a good team.

The div 2 team would have all the bottom age players that 'may' make div 1 the following year. If there are bottom age players in div 1, this may be balanced with top age players in div 2. Again, this is based around need,ie if there are no point guards in the bottom age group, a top age might be added to fill this position.

The next team would be the next best players, and so on down the teams.

Reply #364613 | Report this post

hopscotch  
Years ago

#611, your last sentence should be preserved for all time as the funniest thing ever written on Hoops. On behalf of all Hoops readers, thanks for the laugh!

Reply #364614 | Report this post

Stevie Nix  
Years ago

hopscotch,

Cant count those kids who leave other clubs, like yours obviously, because of the deplorable mess their coaching and development is.

Reply #364619 | Report this post

charon40  
Years ago

Please Stevie, you're making no sense. Your 'development' is no better than anyone elses. There is only one club that can hold their heads higher than the rest in terms of development, and it's not yours. Forestville are WAY ahead of you in that area.

Reply #364626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Northern Rattlers 4tw

Reply #375799 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:17 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754