Classics
Years ago

2012 Classics - Predictions & Discussion (Dande)

U16 Boys
Sturt had moderate success in January but the SA teams seemed a touch off the pace at Easter vs decent competition. NSW teams could pose a threat in this grade, with success at U14 nationals the past 2 years.

SA Predictions: Sturt & North 5-8, Forestville 9-12, Norwood 13-16

Top 4: Melbourne, Hills, Diamond Valley, Sandringham

U16 Girls
Seems like Melbourne are the class of this grade with the rest quite open. One SA team in particular has quite a tough pool.

SA Predictions: Forestville 5-8, North 9-12, Norwood & Sturt 13-16

Top 4: Melbourne, Southern Peninsula, Bulleen, Sydney

U18 Boys
Tough grade to judge with quite a few boys missing due to Australian Camp. Sturt did well in January coming up just short & Easter isn't a good gauge with everyone missing state reps. One SA team appears to have a favourable draw.

SA Preditions: Sturt & West 5-8, Forestville 9-12, Southern 13-16

Top 4: Knox, Waverley, Bulleen, Sydney

U18 Girls
Seemingly a stand out team in Vic followed by a lot around the same mark (teams from 2-7 are all 7-2!). SA seems closely balanced as well, without the stand out team.

SA Predictions: Forestville 5-8, Eastern 9-12, West & Southern 13-16

Top 4: Melbourne, Sydney, Knox, Dandenong (though a handful of teams could make it to top 5).

Again, keep the comments team related rather than specific player related.

Topic #28445 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

obviously has a thing against southern in the 18 boys!

Reply #364849 | Report this post

Classics  
Years ago

Just think it'll be a tough weekend with their Oz Camper away. Nothing personal.

Feel free to discuss & share your own predictions!

Reply #364851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

beat west and norwood without him!! and thumped forestville by 34 points last week!!

Reply #364852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that SA teams to be slipping overall againt the Vic and NSW clubs.

Reply #364855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

seeing as CLASSICS is obviously from either forestville or sturt, i am just wondering how the hell he knows what the interstate teams are like, they too will have australian squad members missing too!

Reply #364856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like I said...he needs to get a life!

He obviously doesn't know much about the SA teams either because the West U18 team is poo!

Reply #364858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No idea, forestville couldn't beat an egg at the moment

Reply #364859 | Report this post

Classics  
Years ago

As I say, one SA team appears to have a nice draw in U18 boys and that has been factored in to my estimations.

I probably know more about the younger groups than older groups, I am basing a lot off results from 1) Jan tourney 2) Easter 3) State Champs. Obviously Easter not a good guide for U18 boys with lots missing.

Reply #364865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what are the tigers like without their studs?

Reply #364867 | Report this post

Doubledoubs  
Years ago

Vic teams will dominate

Reply #364870 | Report this post

nix60  
Years ago

West 5-8? It wouldn't matter how easy their draw was, they are a definite bottom 4 side. They just snuck into 4th at State Champs and are only the fifth best in summer, and probably winter. No way in hell they can finish top 8.

Southern will struggle without their Oz camper. Sure, they can beat ordinary teams back home without him, but they are pretty much a two man side. Take one out of the equation and that's a big ask.

Reply #364872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who is considered easy in wests draw?

Reply #364874 | Report this post

Classics  
Years ago

I have been told that every team in Wests pool besides West will be missing players.

If that's the case then I assume a full strength West will get the job done.

I might be wrong & have been given incorrect info!

Reply #364876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they will all be missing players:
norths 1
werribee 1
tigers 2

will they be good enough to beat these team even at full strength, looks like they have struggled in SA?

Reply #364877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne easily in the under 16 boys as much as I don't like to say it

Reply #364883 | Report this post

ariel  
Years ago

Classics, if you knew the group at all in SA, you'd understand why nobody apart from yourself is positive about West's chances.

#877 is right, they have really struggled back home. They will be a long way behind most, even against teams with players missing. They really are not very good.

Reply #364895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Doesn't matter anyway. Vic's always too strong. 4 in the top 5. Nearly every year

Reply #364915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

West 18 boys will not be at full strength missing 2 starters due to injury

Reply #364947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sydney look strong, with no aussie players could be close to favourtie!

Reply #364964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Am predicting a Melbourne sweep in the 16's. Girls have looked good all year, Bulleen or Knox may push.

Has always been this Melbourne in this age group. DV missing a few players due to footy and injury so brings them back to the pack. Blackburn and Hills big chances to be around the medals too.

18 boys is wide open with a number of Australian kids in camp. Waverley or Sturt there.

18 girls I don't know enough about, but it looks like a pretty even competition in Victoria.

Reply #364968 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

I watch the sydney metro comp and the north bears team apart from missing one Australian player still have the likes of chier a 6 foot 7 yetti super athletic arguable the best player in australia, greater than dante he can dribble shoot, dunk and on top off that play point guard to centre he is averaging 40 points a game a real pleasure to watch he was in the australian side by pulled out for certain reasons they also have some young talented guard who can be mistaken for rondo for his scoring abilities along with his rebounding and passing he is a player to watch

Reply #364970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

while southern will be without their Aus player, they still have 1 SA metro player, 2 SA country players and 2 other players that were in the SA country squad that probably should have been picked in the country team. Probably should have had another SA metro player but he doesnt come from a club that wears light blue!! This team is pretty good with and without their aus player.

better than west thats for sure

Reply #364971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did the boy from norths play for newington at high school champs?

Reply #364972 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

yes he did

Reply #364974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he was a standout, seems to be able to step out a hit the jumper as well as rebound well out of his area.

Reply #364975 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

yeh i heard he performed at a high level at the school championship what did you think of their centre chier? 28 rebounds and 22 points against symmons

Reply #364978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Probably should have had another SA metro player but he doesnt come from a club that wears light blue!!"

For interests sake, do you care to name who this player may be?

Reply #364998 | Report this post

Chris m  
Years ago

Sydney commets to be in the top 4 is that a joke. They are 9-1 in sydney comp however they have never played a full strength manly side and the res of the comp is rubbish apart from norths. Norths shut them down after a slow start and made them look like a pack of fairies

Reply #365005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are they better than Northern Suburbs without Krslovic?

I haven't seen either team but on paper, Sydney look pretty good.

Reply #365015 | Report this post

Oberon 63  
Years ago

i Believe that in the game sydney against norths the australian player that will be away scored 30, they only won the game by 10. without him norths have been going into overtime against those teams you have called "rubbish" i dont think they will be very strong without him

Reply #365044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i would say sydney are 10 points better then norths without Krslovic. But if the big kid for norths lights up (chier) they can beat anybody

Reply #365053 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Love how you guys all follow the forum rules by NOT posting names of junior players here......

Reply #365058 | Report this post

ganymede  
Years ago

Southern actually only have two decent players, and one will be away. The reason they have done reasonably well is that these two players are absolute quality. The rest of the team is ordinary. The SA Country boys wouldn't get anywhere near a SA team if they lived metro.

Reply #365065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ganymede, do you come from one of the teams that they have pumped? check out the ladder. undefeated so far this season!! played games without both those boys you have mentioned, and still havent lost!

Reply #365074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard they have been playing those teams without a number of key players including both Krslovic and chier? the commets game i heard that they where down 20? and then learnt how to play Defence and alas Krslovic had 30 in that game he only had 6 against manly in their 2 point loss. Manly have to Australian players and won the under 16 classic for this age group. I believe commets have a number of players that are good shooters allow them to beat the "rubbish" sides however they don't perform in the tighter games?

Reply #365077 | Report this post

ganymede  
Years ago

#074 - they haven't played Sturt yet. Sturt are the number 1 team, as was proven at State Champs. Tell me what team of any quality they have beaten without their Oz camper? You Southern hicks are really good at getting ahead of yourselves, aren't you?

Reply #365081 | Report this post

Oberon 63  
Years ago

Comets have only had one tight game so that is not a lot to go on, all season norths have had at least one of their stars present and are in these tight situations with one of them playing, this is what they will have in the classic so it could be a fair indication of how they might go

Reply #365082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ganymede you're obviously from sturt, tigers don't do the program, undefeated and haven't had the services of SJ and SM in the past few weeks! How many Aus players in Sturts team?? 0000000

Reply #365087 | Report this post

bball  
Years ago

The strongest melb team is nunawading,they are the only team to beat all top vic teams,but didnt make claccic .they must have been down o players.

Reply #365088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard that norths have been missing both star players on 4 games whilst missing their two guards in a number of games two ?

Reply #365089 | Report this post

Oberon 63  
Years ago

there was only one game where the two stars were not there and that was a loss to bankstown, as for the guards i am unaware

Reply #365090 | Report this post

ganymede  
Years ago

#087 - please stop posting. You are just proving that what we all think of you guys down there is correct.

Reply #365092 | Report this post

nix 67  
Years ago

since comets played norths (who mind you only managed a lucky come back in the second half) comets have got a new point guard jimmy B who closely resembles steve nash, has been a nice addition to there team

Reply #365094 | Report this post

nix 67  
Years ago

since comets played norths (who mind you only managed a lucky come back in the second half) comets have got a new point guard jimmy B who closely resembles steve nash, has been a nice addition to there team

Reply #365095 | Report this post

Sven  
Years ago

norths are in with a great chance as they have played many games this season without their australian player they have some key players cheir 6 foot 7 athletic as all hell has been dunking on every one is the sydney comp their point is great with the longest range their power forward has the skills of a point and dominates in the paint, not to mention their depth with possibly the best 6th man in the league but someone to really watch out for is the back up center gregery who has been in amazing form of late

Reply #365101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sven i have heard that this gregory kid has college offers and countless NSWIS and AIS people after him?

Reply #365104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i player nicknamed sunshine, has been putting on a performance lately. His defending is compared to the likes of a monkey wanting that Banana. The Ranger has been his nickname in the last few weeks with his deep three, but his best ability is compared to the likes of NBA all star Luke walton is to keep the attractive young coach company on the bench.
btw the coach will be in the running to be awarded the award of (DMCC) drunkest melbourne classic coach. good luck. sepo/

Reply #365112 | Report this post

Sven  
Years ago

greg has had many offers from UCLA, DUKE and North Carolina and is tipped to be no.1 draft pick of 2020,as for sunshine/the ranger i hear the boomers are looking for a bench coach to enhance the bench warming efficiency. as for the coach (sepo) i think he likes to be called has some serious competition for DMCC award with manager dani who has been training in secret for this award and has been knocking down a case with every meal. good luck sepo

Reply #365191 | Report this post

Blake Griffin  
Years ago

this is breaking news but my recently found bastard child alex hall (the hall monitor)is playing for norths bears are recovering from a recent broken ankle he is hitting form with a last second dunk to embarrass the opposition in last weeks game. i also believe the his half sister is attending so mothers lock up your horny sons.

Reply #365195 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

I used to play for North Sydney a couple of years ago and i have been watching most of Norths home games this season. And despite all this talk about their stars, they have a team with considerable depth. Yes, they will be missing a star player due to national commitments, but they will still be great without them. (The rules say no names so i will use nicknames). The Big Black Mamba is great and incredibly athletic and he will score no matter what. But Mac Daddy (forward) has the ability to put up big points, as he has proven plenty of times scoring 20+ on many occasions as well as the occasional 30+. So I think all teams will have to watch out for him as he will be a deciding factor to how the team goes. I also noticed that this greg guy is the truth as the guys were talking about above. Any other teams have any rising stars apart from national squad players?

Reply #365232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is this mac guy any good because i heard he only scores against the weaker teams?
i really hope norths perform as well as they have been talked up otherwise thats quite embarrassing

Reply #365236 | Report this post

Jackson  
Years ago

Yeah he seems to only be scoring big against weaker teams but he might have the potential to play big against bigger teams.. i guess time will tell

Reply #365237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From what i have hear about the norths team is the fittness levels are incredibly terrible, with most of the players having big nights before big games. Mentally they are not ready.. and for 'Mac daddy' heard his mum is a looker

Reply #365241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there fitness levels are extraordinary as they have had so much practice at this big night before but the real question is when is greg getting an NBA contract

Reply #365244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who is GREG

Reply #365251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you ask who is GREG thats like asking who is KOBE or MJ

Reply #365265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^Like LOL ;)

Reply #365267 | Report this post

or those who dont know who i am, you are ignorant and uneducated if you bothered to read or watch the news you would know who i am and would not be doubting my ability, i would have been missing this tournament if it weren't for a serious injury that i sustained putting me out for a season i was still requested to represent our country but i declined as i felt it was time to step aside for national commitments and let others have a go. for all you non-believers "the proof is in the pudding" as they say. i'll see you on the weekend

Reply #365284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA have titties!!!

Reply #365404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg...one question...are you serious??? Don't let ego and bravado be confused for talent!

Perhaps u should learn to touch type! This will stop you STROKING your ego whilst posting on hoops...chump!

I will take great enjoyment of trash talking you all weekend! I hope you like leather seats buddy!

Reply #365416 | Report this post

greg winterbottom  
Years ago

dear anonymous stop being a coward and say you name so i know who to embarras on the court, pffft bet you dont even get on the court do you mate?
i have only made one other post so you can go suck a nut! leather shit mate didnt know this tournament was gonna get kinky, now im excited ;)

Reply #365425 | Report this post

Shaq  
Years ago

hi all Shaq here just saying I've been giving Greg individual one on one post lessons and he is my protégé i do believe he will one day make the NBA and anonymous this is not a forum for threats please keep your mouth shut before i pull a back bored down on you
kind regards Shaquille Rashaun O'Neal

Reply #365444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why does no one think melbourne have a shot without their oz players?

Reply #365447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you serious?^

Reply #365476 | Report this post

Victeams  
Years ago

I hope you guys continue to fight even before the games start! Wont know who is best till sunday late or monday..Depth will win a tournament as players tire.

Reply #365482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne have a Player who was at the last oz camp and started for the vic team

Reply #365498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guard or big ?

Reply #365518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big

Reply #365528 | Report this post

big pussy ^

Reply #365558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've heard Norths haven't been performing due to rubbish referees and Greg pulled out last minute please forgive them as of you talk trash they will ankle
Break you followed by a 360 dunk on your head

Reply #365683 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Damn no Greg, that must be tough, and i heard your main player has been banned for the rest of the tournament. And all the smack about Sydney not making top 4, well they proved that wrong. Norths are looking at a bottom 4 placing, not very impressive

Reply #365684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is anyone going to get back to posting a relevant and interesting comment about the classic or do we have to continue reading this crap?

Reply #365692 | Report this post

Toby  
Years ago

Melbourne Tigers U/16 Boys beat Hills Hornets by 20 points in a good quality game tonight. Blackburn beat Hawthorn by 23 in the other semi.

Reply #365694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did any SA teams make top 4?

Reply #365695 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Sturt Sabres vs Sydney Comets in U18 Boys GF if there website is anything to go by.

Reply #365696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True Norths played commets in regular season and bombed them just ha a shit tournament

Reply #365699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt U18B playing for Gold. North playing for Bronze in U16G and Sturt playing for Bronze in U14G. No other SA teams top 4.

Reply #365700 | Report this post

Years ago

most results pretty well as i expected.

some sa teams bombed out others did well.

Reply #365701 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Watch the Classic finals live online via this link: http://www.justin.tv/websterhoops

Reply #365704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tigers under 18 boys defied predictions of a bottom placed finish, playing off for 9th, obviously not a two man team like people said earlier in this thread!!

Reply #365707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see that we got a bronze. SA seem to be better than expected

Reply #365722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

16 Boys Melbourne over Blackburn by 40 points
Crap game - Melb just too strong. Guards v strong with a few v good shooters. They shut down Hills last night and bburn today. Hills game was more like final. Think most Melb players in State metro team except one of best guards - he may be country.

18 Boys was much better game to watch.

Reply #365732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern Tiger parents behaviour disgusting. Just ask Big Willie he will agree. They should be caged...

Reply #365836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened?

Reply #365864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wot do u expect tho!!!!

Reply #366209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 5836

You can't come on here and make that statement and not back it up with what happenned.

Also if it was Tigers parents why would their coach be disgusted.

Reply #366222 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:55 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754