Isaac
Years ago

Boomers training in Perth open to the public today

With only two days until tip-off for game one of the YouYi Games, the Australian Boomers men's basketball team’s three-game showdown with China, the Boomers will be holding an open training session tonight, Thursday 7 June, at 5.15pm.
The team will train from 5:15pm until 7:45pm at the WA Basketball Centre, 201 Underwood Ave, Floreat.

Topic #28462 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Barlow has also now apparently joined the squad in Perth...

Reply #365408 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

He (Barlow) certainly did. He put on a fine shooting display warming up before the rest of the team got on the court. He was easily stroking three after three working his way around the arc and back again.

It was good to go along. Baynes looked better than I remember. I think it was Drmic who was showing off a very nice outside shot.

The scrimmage looked largely like an A team and a B team, with the notable exception being Barlow on the B team.

Team A started with Delly, Gibson, Crawford, Nielsen, Baynes

Team B started with Martin, Greenwood, Barlow, Motum?, Khazouh

Wortho was in a tracksuit and didn't take the court. Wagstaff looked limited by an ankle and didn't scrimmage.

Reply #365452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who won? who played well?

Reply #365454 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Team A got ahead early, but Team B came back late to bring it to 20-19 (A) at the end of the first period.

Team A won the second period 20-8.

After that they were calling a timeout after almost every offense with the coaches drawing things up, so scoring wasn't really relevant.

Even during the scrimmage it seemed pretty obvious that they were working on particular things on offense. There wasn't a heap of improvisation going on (at least that was my reading of it). Focused on particular half-court sets, there wasn't much attempt to push the ball and get transition points.

Maybe I'm misremembering someone else, but Baynes impressed me with a number of dunks as well as some soft hook shots with both hands. Still made some errors, but certainlu better than I remembered.

Barlow was undoubtedly the best player on team B. Solid finishing inside and out, just involved everywhere. Martin ran team B well, had some steals early off some of the younger guys and was his usual disruptive self, I don't recall him scoring much though. Greenwood hit a couple of triples early and was generally good but did get trapped a couple of times. The inverse could be said of Delly who had a few errors early but seemed to improve as the session went on.

Nielsen's leadership was pretty obvious. He ran the warm ups and was vocal in organising team A.

I'm sketchy on most of the wings as I focused more on the PG's (Delly vs Greenwood vs Martin) and the bigs (Baynes & Nielsen). Other than Barlow its not clear who, if any of the other SG/SF's who were there will be in London. Crawford's shot and footwork on his catch-and-shoot is pretty to watch. Seems a few steps ahead there compared to guys like Bose, Drmic, even Gibson. Gibson initiated the offense a lot when he was on the court (whether with Delly, or with Crawford/Bose).

Reply #365504 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nice one Naph, good read.

Reply #365509 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Thanks!

Reply #365512 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:09 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754