LC
Years ago

YouYi Games: Game 2 Thread

Australia take on China in game 2 of the YouYi games tonight, 8pm local Perth time, 9:30pm in Adelaide and 10pm in Melbourne (I think).

You can watch the live stats via this link: Boomers vs China

Is this being broadcast live online again or on TV anywhere?

Topic #28488 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

I'd like to see...

- Broekoff get a decetn chance to show what he can offer
- Crawford another chance to show he can hit the three when needed do demonstrate some level of consistency and his own confidence
- Baynes to put up hs hand and demand a place in the Boomers final 12
- Barlow to demonstrate why he should be consideration for the Boomers final 12
- Delly to show that this is 'his' team to run in the absence of Mills, and put his hand up to play alongside Mills at London for decent minutes
- Neilsen to show some of the 'grunt' shown by Wortho in game 1

Reply #365741 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

No coverage beyond the live stats.. and how pathetic is that, they can't even get a radio feed or something going.

Reply #365744 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

LC agree with you mate. Im still worried about our outside shooting. damn its bad. i hope PC can continue with his outside shot, he is the only person that looks close to hitting the outside shot.

Delly was a bit off for mine. he had a good small period in the final term. Barlow was very dissapointing and Baynes had the fumbles and the walkies. Wortho did play hard and did well i thought. other then him and PC i think all the rest have got alot of work to do and prove they deserve a shot to make the final 12. Its a shame Jawai is in the US, would be nice to see where his game is at, atm. Did we look slow or was it just me.

Also can we say due to gibbo getting over 30 mins and marto only 9 mins that gibbo is more likely heading to london.

Reply #365746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broehkoff looks pretty goods from the college tapes I have seen, He only played limited minutes and didnt really show us a whole lot the other day but I am hoping he gets a chance tonight and that he drops some threes... he could be an X factor deep on the bench much in the same way thast Crawford is...

I am also looking to see crawford show that he can do the same thing for the boomers consistantly. I liked the fact that he shot himself into a deadly rhythm... its a good sign... its like he started out almost trying too much, and then BAM he discovered who he was, not too many players on our team who can turn there fortunes around like that. I wasnt really a fan of his and I didnt want him on the team before, but now I see that he is the only man to attack our main weakness ... 3 point shooting. Dellevadova had a shit game, i wanna see better out of him I know he can do it, ive seen it before. and Baynes, your right.. too much traveling, shit finnishes around the rim (save for a couple of times) Very Big guy he should throw his weight around more

Reply #365751 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

On paper this Chinese team is not strong but on the other hand they have been together as a unit for some time under Donewald and as they all play in Chine except Yi who is not here anyway they would spend a lot of time together. Their 7footers are pretty gumby looking but get the job done and they had the Boomers well scouted going by their effective use of a zone.
Their teamwork as a result of the time they spend together would be way ahead of the Boomers so give our D credit for disrupting a lot of their stuff.

With 6 or so of our best out in hindsight maybe we should not disappointedted with the win in our first outing. I hope also to see PC get some confidence with another good display because he certainly is a player that gets things done when he has his head in the right place.

Agree about not having the chance to see Jawai in action. Baynes' form in Greece might speak more of how that league has fallen with the crisis there than that of his ability judging by what I have seen. Hope he shows more but would love to be able to compare what he and Nate bring to the table.

I keep reading stuff about Barlow's 3 point percentages both here and in Spain. It must be me as whenever I watch him he underwhelms me to put it mildly. That shot (probably describedscriped as a short arm jab)is horrible.

Reply #365752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shooting 7/25 so far with Wortho, Baynes and kickert 4/15 between them. China up 31-22 midway thru the second.

Reply #365762 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Bit of a comeback to lead by 1 at the half

Least everyones gotten a run tonight in the first half

Reply #365764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baynes better with 7 and 4 rebs. Gibson efficient again, 5 points on 2/2, 3 reb, 2 ass.
Everyone except greenwood has scored.

Reply #365765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Broekoff started it looks like>?

Reply #365766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no nielson in the line up

Reply #365768 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

its got tight all of a sudden, that the impact when you take delly out of the ball game..

Reply #365769 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Well a 4pt win.. so we win the series

But shooting 34% isnt going to cut it at the Olympics

Reply #365770 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

sircreate just remember this is far from our best team, matthew dellavedova came on and won that game for aus

Reply #365771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly struggled again to hit shots, but recovered from a very bad start to be of value in the 2nd half. Neutral game for him.

Reply #365772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson +17 tonight.

Reply #365774 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Did anyone see the game? hard to get an idea of who played well looking at the box score..Baynes' numbers improved..when is Jawai joining the squad?

Reply #365775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not overly impressed by the 4 point scoreline, sure a wins a win... but we are far more talented bigger and athletic then China, these shouldnt be close games or am i just underestimating there team chemistry?

From what I can see looks like Crawford had a fairly average game, no threes were hit but 2 steals does look good for him and its not like he shot that many 3's to say his percentage was horrible (0/2). probably didnt do his chances any harm.

Damien Martin, looks like statistically (as thats all i can go on right now) was near non existant. hit a 3 and nabbed a steal and thats all he really has to show for playing half the game...No assists and No turn overs, atleast didnt lose the ball I guess but arguably didnt do much creating.

Hugh Greenwood in his measly 6 minutes was basicly a non factor, You can tell who out of the young guns is getting the closer look right now, undoubtedly Broekhoff

I would say Adam Gibsons firming up for the 3rd Guard spot, second game in a row where his minutes and output are much higher then damien.. at 3 of 5 field goals and 2 of 3 from the three plus 4 assists he has shown himself (atleast tonight) to be efficient.. and I would say hes sneaking in to nab 3rd PG role.

Ryan Broekhoff didnt exactly fill the statsheet in his 10 minutes but did make his first points as a Boomer (4).. including 1/3 from the 3.. not a terrible clip from just 1 game and ofcourse this could rise over the series.. He has produced more and is playing more then Greenwood which may hold him in good stead for a 12th man position on the oly team.. who knows.

Delly didnt have a particularly efficient game but put in the plays at the end of the game where he had to... I would say his stocks have neither risen or dropped of late but he should be looking for more consistancy

Wortho 11 points 5 Assists 2 steals.. not a terrible line, he shot only 30% from the feild however, But so far has been the most consistant of the Boomers and His ticket is booked in my eyes

Aaron Baynes looks to have played a better game, 15 points. 8 rebounds.. shootinmg at 46%... for a big guy that should probably be atleast in the 50's but it looks like he did his thing out there... should fit inm snugly as the last big on the bench come olympics behind, Maric, Anderson... hopefully Jawai

Kickert again did nothing... Be rid of him

Khazzouh did very little indeed.. I would expect that his Boomers aspirations would be over for this year...

Neilsen/Barlow didnt play, most likely to give some of the other guys more of a shot, but from what i have seen last game, I question whether either of them have whagt it takes to play for this years Olympic team and make a positive contribution. Barlow just doesnt create enough given the tools he has and Neilsen appears to be over the hill..

Reply #365777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

does anyone know the status of Jawai.Is he going to be apart of the next squad as I haven't seen him say anything about being involved.

Reply #365778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai hasn't made himself available for the Boomers since his fallout with Brett Brown during the NZ series in '09 so I wouldn't hold my breath.

Reply #365781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll be at the Melbourne camp apparently.

Reply #365785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

to me the final teams looking like

wortho - lock
Gibson - lock
neilson - lock
barlow - lock
Della - lock
Ingles - lock
newley - lock
Maric - lock
Anderson - lock
Mills - lock

Jawai- possible depending on next camp
Baynes - possible depending on next camp
Crawford- possible depending on next camp

everyone else - on the outer for selection !!

Reply #365792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, although Dellavedova's poor shooting has to be hurting his lock status. Crawford could be ahead of him now, although with Martin not making a big claim Delly might be safe after all.

Reply #365793 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I like Delly's game but maybe these olympics will be a year or 2 early for him.....might be better for our team to take Gibson as back up 1/2 & PC.

I know we all love Delly but he is playing in the WCC and its a huge step up to go from playing against college "kids" to the olympic tournament against men!!!

I'd rather be taking the older more seasoned players over him as the olympics aren't about development they are about Medals!

In saying the above i do think that Delly, Greenwood/Drmic are the core of our future boomers!

Reply #365797 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

@tigerwatcher, thats what they did will mills, a kid from WCC and he dropped 20 on team USA your point is irrelevant

Reply #365798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes it is a fine line between developing players and taking your best team. Ive seen Delly play really well before but his stats last night and his game on saturday dont realy show me that hes ready yet.... the coaches need to be ready to make the hard descisions and not just the ones they already made in ther ehead well before the games

Reply #365799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANon.. how do U know that he will be in the Melbourne camp? I hope so btw,, I remember him being damn good in cairns then we never heard from him again really

Reply #365805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Benno, Matty is not Patty!

Mills had proven himself in 2007 with the senior team, Delly hasnt done so yet. His inability to hit jumpshots and keep his man in front of him are big concerns for mine.

Reply #365808 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Anyone noticed if Gibson has played much point in this series yet? I don't recall Gibson running the team at any stage in game 1.

If he has not played there much, surely Delly has locked in his spot as a point guard, regardless of his form at international level.

Reply #365811 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Delly may not be ready to "run the team", but to be honest, neither is Gibson.

Reply #365812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we can judge Delly a lot more after the next camp where he will have a more talent around him. After that we will be able to see his ability to run the team> I still think he is the best option we have at the moment.

Reply #365824 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Each to there own but comparing Delly to Mills is unfair to Delly.....Mills has NBA speed/quickness which has always been the knock on Delly hence he isn't spoken of in NBA draft conversations like Mills was at the same point in his career.

Mills will be playing 35+mins per game with Gibbo then shifting across to pinch hit at the PG.

I do hope delly shows more in Melb as he is a great talent but i just think he is still 12 months away...hope he proves me wrong.

Reply #365827 | Report this post

Pallas  
Years ago

You need 3 players who can play piont guard in a 12 player team for this kind of tournamnet. If gibson or Patty got hurt and Delly isnt in the team, they would be playing the remainder of the tournament with only 1 point guard which would be very difficult.

Reply #365833 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Can't write off Delly let alone anyone based on two games against Chine. I'd assume just about everyone is rusty. Mills and Delly backcourt still sounds good to me.

Reply #365835 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

At previous boomers games and trials and even college games i've seen Delly has a tendency to pick the ball up in some offensive sets and stop dribbling too early high beyond the 3pt arc without a player to pass to which usually results in a turnover to him or another player..hopefully he has addressed this by now but if not the boomers could be generating plenty of turnovers with patty and delly running the point...would like to see CJ as the experienced PG and shooter

Reply #365839 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yep Dell is the only option really. Gibbo and Patty are both SG's. Patty only plays PG cos of his speed and size. Dell already runs the offence better than either, my only concern w him is an inconsistent jump shot, but hey that's nothing new with this team.

Reply #365841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it might just come down to a bit of rust in some of the players given that they prob have not played much in the last month

If I remember correctly dell had a really good tournament in the uk a while back

I'd be giving him as much exposure to high level basketball as possible

hopefully they will rest the main guys like gibbo baynes etc for the 3rd match - I would really like to see what the others could do with good minutes

Reply #365853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly has shot 37% from the field and 30% from three point over the past two years for the Boomers. Thinking short term Id take Martin for his superior defence, long term Delly for development.

Reply #365855 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

If he was available, I would take CJ over Martin, and Gibson

Reply #365861 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

watching USA u17 play at the FIBA world champs in 2010 and averaging 100 plus points against opposition (they won gold) I'd say they would comfortably beat this depleted lineup of Boomers..unfortunately BA hasn't done a terrific job organising warmup matches against any real quality to assess where the Boomers are before the games begin.

Reply #365874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol well they thought they did but turns out greece has served them up a shit sandwich and are giving us duds to play against. isnt there a tourney in london before the gmes with real opposition?

Reply #365887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There usually is, the real stuff will start in Europe after the Greece series which is when I expect guys like Mills & Andersen will join the team.

Reply #365890 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

Who's excited for tomorrows game? Who will top score and stand out the most?

games on fox sports would love if someone could confirm a time thanks

Reply #365894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

think its about 9.30? thats the time that the live link alludes to. And yeah, Doesnt matter how shit were playinm im always excited to see the boomers... Who will stand out? Dont klnow to be honest with you, but someone had better soon!

Reply #365898 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Whoever scheduled this game needs a smack in the head, half the country will be watching the end of the second State of Origin when game 3 starts

Reply #365908 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754