Anonymous
Years ago

Darcy Malone choosing basketball over AFL

I do hope this guy is being developed properly by BA and AIS

But Canberra teenager Darcy Malone would be kicking a Sherrin somewhere this weekend if the Greater Western Sydney Giants had their way.

The AFL newcomers were desperate to sign the 211cm 17-year-old for their inaugural season, and Adelaide and Carlton also showed interest.

But Malone has set his sights on following in the footsteps of Canberra's finest basketball export Patrick Mills, all the way to the Olympics.

http://www.act.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=25&tx_ttnews%5Byear%5D=2012&tx_ttnews%5Bmonth%5D=02&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=444&tx_ttnews%5BcalendarYear%5D=2012&tx_ttnews%5BcalendarMonth%5D=3&tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=3&cHash=8bc7f864e2540b6f15eafd04098ae95a

Topic #28512 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.canberragunners.asn.au/index.php?id=25&tx_ttnews%5Byear%5D=2012&tx_ttnews%5Bmonth%5D=06&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=605&cHash=4ffb50655b26c77554a54c837f63a1fe

Looks like the AIS is starting to working with him.

ACT Academy of Sport Scholarship commitments in the gym and on court, Basketball ACT Under 18 team schedule and the extra group training opportunities provided by the Australian Institute of Sport.

Reply #366125 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

But is he any good?

Reply #366236 | Report this post

Obviously Darcy's good enough; he is representing his country, which is not something to be taken lightly.

It takes hard work and commitment, over a very long period of time, to be selected for the Australian Team.

Surely it would be better to congratulate our young team members rather than being negative and depricating?

Good luck to all the U17 Men in your quest for gold in Lithuania - our best wishes and thoughts are with you all.

Reply #366276 | Report this post

kev  
Years ago

He just asked if he was good..? Very legit question for a 211cm guy.

When you're 6 foot 11 you might not have to be that good to make the team. Though I haven't seen him play so I'm not sure.

Anyone seen him play? How polished are his skills?

Reply #366280 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

CONGRATULATIONS ON BEING BORN WITH THE GENES TO BE SEVEN FOOT TALL.

Was just chasing a description of the kid's game, nothing negative about it...

Reply #366348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i have played against him he is very tall which would account for his selection in the australian side. "you can not train height" he could be good not very disciplined and not a very good decision maker ball skills are average under the ring he is decent a bit soft easy to get under his skin i don't know about his range didn't put anything up the last time i played him hope that helps

Reply #366484 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

He certainly won't get any shorter as the game goes on!
I'm sure that he can be encouraged and trained to toughen up

Reply #366487 | Report this post

I played against him at the under 18 nationals. I think saying that he is 6 foot 11 is pushing it. Maybe 6 foot 10 in shoes. I am 6 foot 8 and wasnt far off him at all.

He is athletic though and definitely can play but not sure how far he can go!

Reply #366624 | Report this post

In socks Darcy is 7 foot tall (and he is still growing), but height is only part of the equation when looking at a player's potential and ability.

Reply #366915 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:20 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754