The truth
Years ago

Cayla Francis

saw cayla play at the plex on saturday night and was most impressed ... id seen her play some junior games and she ripped but anyone that tall would destroy in a junior game ... but at the abl level she was the best player on the court and she is what 15 .. i see a bright future for this young girl ... Lighting and maybe beyond ... intrested hear some other theoughts ...

Topic #2854 | Report this topic

mp  
Years ago

I refereed the game and thought she was great in the second half, playing with 4 fouls.

The first half she tended to get frustrated and give away cheap fouls.

Learning how to deal with frustration during the game, be it at opposition players, referees calls and even with her own mistakes, usually comes with experience & encouragement from coaches & teammates.

Once she masters this, she will become a great player in this league, and progress to the next level.

Reply #32386 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Cayla is one of a handful of talented young players in our ABL leauge, but how much ball should these youngsters be exposed to??

Their workload would look like -

Junior trainings
Junior Game
ABL Trainings x 2
ABL game
Sasi Training
State training x2 ?
Any school ball...
Any individuals.

This is on top of school and a social like.

I would be guessing around 10 sessions a week for these players. How much is too much, are these kids going to burn out, off the top of my head South, Forestville, Eastern, Norwood, West in the womens all have juniors, and i am sure there are more.

Any other thoughts of their work load...

Reply #32399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On the womens side juniors has to take a lesser priority. A hirearchy of priorities should be developed and agreed to by clubs and coaches. This is especially true of womens basketball where many of the girls could play ABL from U18s. I would think the priorities would go something like.

State Juniors
ABL
Club Junior games
SASI
Club junior trainings
etc..

Reply #32400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i would think at their age, where there are no guarantees of the path their life will take, the number one priority should be.....

their education!!!

Reply #32425 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Anonymous #32425 I think you have missed the point. School was already meantioned by Dr D. They were talking about priorities in Basketball, and ranking Basketball priorities, so that if they overlapped or had to suffer for other reasons (eg school) the top ones would stay.

And I think Dr D's original question was is the ammount she is doing PHYSICALLY to much for her body, not how much time it is taking away.

Dr D to answer your question, it depends on the type of training she is doing clearly it is high level, but it becomes too much when the intensity and duration becomes such that she cannot continue to recover between trainings and games. I am sure with the types of coaches she has they would surely take into account all of what she does when they plan her sessions, and periodise the year such that she can cope. How much is too much will depend on the phase she is going through in her training.

Reply #32433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is she really 15?

Reply #32561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes, turning 16 this year (couple of months??)

Reply #32581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just turned 16 recently

Reply #32603 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

Either way she is young .... and has a big future ... she is tall she can shoot ... she can pass and play d ... and looks like an all round team player...

Reply #32604 | Report this post

D'Mac  
Years ago

it was her b'day da day after da game, i went 2 school wid her wicked chick and has her sights set on big things! defenatly some1 2 look out 4 in da future!

Reply #32616 | Report this post

wheelbarrow  
Years ago

her birthday was on may the 1st..
happy birthday cayla

Reply #32750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be in the Gems Team.......someone should be on the phone to Phil Brown to get her into the final camp....

Reply #34238 | Report this post

baller13  
Years ago

Cayla francis is a great player and an amzaing person i think she has a futer in ball goodluck cayla xoxox

Reply #36673 | Report this post

american life  
Years ago

cayla, you are a true champ.. babe i miss you so much and i know you will make it big even before i get on that plane to come back.. you know basketball.. use it to your advantage. you have talent babe and i am so proud of that gal

Reply #57973 | Report this post

american life  
Years ago

cayla is going to the AIS along with Abby Bishop top talent right there.. go for gold babe

Reply #59436 | Report this post

junior  
Years ago

hullo cayla, i just so happen to surf the web and came across your name. this is junior from Fiji. ana's elder sister's son. i think we met last year when my family came for a holiday.
ijust wanted to say hi, thats all, um, keep shootin them hoops. all the best in your career dreams.

your friend, junior..Fiji guy.

Reply #156868 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:04 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754