Anonymous
Years ago

Tall Blacks Squad Named

The 2012 Tall Blacks team are:
Hayden Allen (Auckland Pirates), Josh Bloxham (Nelson Giants), Everard Bartlett (Bay Hawks), Casey Frank (Wellington Saints), Leon Henry (Otago Nuggets), Jarrod Kenny (Bay Hawks), Robert Loe (St Louis University, US), Alex Pledger (Auckland Pirates), Lindsay Tait (Auckland Pirates), Jeremiah Trueman (Manawatu Jets), Mika Vukona (Nelson Giants), Tai Webster (Auckland Pirates)

Possibly the worst NZ team ever assembled??

Topic #28542 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Wow, a lot of guys that can't even make a NBL roster.

Reply #366664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess the starting 5 would be:

1: Lindsay Tait
2: Hayden Allen
3: Leon Henry
4: Mika Vukona
5: Alex Pledger

: Horrible...

Reply #366666 | Report this post

Commander  
Years ago

No way nz deserve a 2nd Nbl team.

Reply #366667 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Terrible team.

The team is very weak, and I question just how they think they can actually compete with the others at the OQT.

I don't know why Tai was selected to be perfectly honest.
It seems to me that at international basketball in general, teams are selecting kids that young that the slightly older and more useful kids(in terms of been able to step right out on the court) are been forgotten.

There is many kids better than Tai who are 19/20/21. I hate that so many teams now, internationally, seem to think that 20,21 is too old to introduce him into the fray, so they elect a 17 y.o who realistically is not ready.

Some names who I think are more ready:

Richie Edwards (dude avg 10ppg at Valparaiso with Broekhoff)

Brook Ruscoe (Can certainly play and should be a Breakers dev player next season)

Ethan Rusbatch (nephew of Kendrick Perkins..who will go to a high major D1 college and has fielded offers already from some big names)

Dion Prewster (although he is naturalised..I wondered why he wasn't included in squad, as im sure BBNZ could overcome some of the naturalisation issues)

Reuben Te Rangi - 17 year old also, but with much better credentials. Just got awarded MVP at 2012 Nike All-Asia Camp, avg 8ppg at NZNBL on 44 % from 3 point land)

Reply #366668 | Report this post

Mr bEn  
Years ago

Is this a team for a 'lower quality' tournament? I'm assuming this is not a team being taken to the Olympics, if they even have a spot there.

Reply #366669 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

They haven't made the Olympics yet.

This team is for the FIBA Olympic Qualifying Tournament in Venezuela.

This team is their default team. They had 12 positions to fill and just 12 players left.

Reply #366674 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

The NZ team is coached by who?

Reply #366680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Penney?

Reply #366681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

penney and abercrombie? Whats their deal?

Reply #366684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coached by Nenad Vucinic. Penney and Abecrombie injured. Adams and Fotu unavailable.

Reply #366688 | Report this post

Cell  
Years ago

Tai Webster really impressed me at the National U19s. I realise its only U19 but the ability he showed was probly higher than many national league guards. His 42 points in the final carried his team.

There aren't alot of others that we could use as rotation players on this depleted squad which I think only goes 7/8 deep. So using a roster spot that regardless of who took it probly wont play, on a 17 year old with huge potential is an okay(ish) move given circumstances.

Others who could've made the team potentially:

Reuben Te Rangi-Has size, athletic ability and a touch more experience. Could actually fill in a position the team needs (SF).

Richie Edwards-Scorer with some good experience at college and in junior international competition. Perhaps has some college requirements which kept him away.

Brendon Polybank-Pretty much our only player in Europe, a veteran that could play 2/3 and score. Not sure how keen he is to play but would surely make this team.

Phil Jones-Call him out of retirement to give the team some scoring that wont be coming from anywhere else.

Marcel Jones-I just think he fitted team needs better than Casey Frank. He can score and fill the SF spot.

Reply #366696 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

There were 13 players available and 12 were selected. Only player to miss out was Marcel Jones with Casey Frank getting the 1 naturalized spot. Injuries and College commitments have left little choice to the Coaching staff.

Braswells paperwork didn't come through on time.
Fotu is going to College and needed to prepare.
Steven Adams has College also
Kench is injured
Anthony is also injured
Abercrombie is injured
Penney is injured
Corey Webster is still serving a ban.
Craig Bradshaw was either not invited, or was not available

Casey Frank has played with most of the guys before and knows the systems so that is why he prob got the nod over Marcel Jones.

Reply #366702 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

in the future it may look a little more like

Braswell/Bartlett
Penney/Webster
Abercrombie/Henry
Vukona/Fotu/Anthony
Adams/Pledger/Loe

^ look forward to seeing this team in the future

shit happens tho, guess they just gotta make do with what they have much like Australia when half your international players can't be fucked playing qualifying tournaments and have to field local NBL guys.

Reply #366704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Throw Adams in there and they look very impressive

Reply #366743 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The system needs big guys who can spread the floor, and Casey Frank has shown he can do that consistently at international level. He and Rob Loe will need to hit shots for them to even be competitive.

The team that isnt playing might well beat the team that is going!

Adams, Anthony, Abercrombie, Penney, Kench
Bradshaw, Fotu, M Jones, Webster

Reply #366752 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I think there is no "might" about that.

The only interest for me in this tournament will be to see how Pledger goes as surely he must now be a focal point in their offense.

Slightly off topic but is Marcel Jones as a naturalised player worth a spot on an NBL roster? Is he a 3/4 type and if so would not he have been a better option for the Kings?

Reply #366765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God save the Kiwis.

Reply #366768 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Marcel Jones would be a great pickup.

The dude can play.

He played for the Bulls in the NBA Summer League.
Also played in Bundesliga.

If he was in the right system, he could easily put up 15+ppg at NBL level.

Reply #366777 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Marcel Jones would be a great pickup.

The dude can play.

He played for the Bulls in the NBA Summer League.
Also played in Bundesliga.

If he was in the right system, he could easily put up 15+ppg at NBL level.

Reply #366778 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I would have loved to see Marcel in there for two reasons:

1) He would be the best player on the TB's roster
2) He is 26. Frank is 34. If they are looking ahead to 2016 when Pledger, Adams, Fotu, Penney and Abercrombie will be flourishing, then Marcel would fit right in to form a formidable lineup.

The only problem was that the TB's needed more size and although Marcel and Frank are the same height, Frank is a legit PF.

But they should take Marcel in any future tournaments.

A starting lineup with Penney, Abercrombie, Marcel and Adams would be a formidable 4.

Reply #366781 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the TBs staff would much prefer Adams, Vukona, Abercrombie, Penney and a naturalised PG.

Re Jones and the NBL, he didnt actually get a contract in Germany, and has never played in a league close to the standard in Australia. He could be good though, so I guess a team has to take the risk to sign him and find out.

If Wellington step into the NBL that could be his chance.

Reply #366803 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't think there is much risk at all in signing him to be honest.

He isn't classified as an import, and he will be much more handy than players such as Coenraad, Dann, Greer, Walker, Gynes, Grabau, Herbert.

36ers should look at this guy.
Breakers probably wont go for him as they have Abercrombie and Henry (already signed) to fill the swingman positions.

Reply #366810 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, by risk I really meant committing some money to find out how good he actually is. And if he is a good defender I agree he could be a very good option for Adelaide.

ftsos, I suspect those two teams might be a lot closer than you think. The 'nots' kill the 'ins' on the wings, but the frontcourt and PGs of this year's team are much stronger than the 'nots'. I would have my money of the nots though.

Reply #366818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not that it matters much as i doubt that they would qualify
It will be franks swansong and they need some pf muscle up front

I dont think they will win too many games

Reply #366828 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I believe Franks inclusion was based on how well he played in the trials, his knowledge of the Tall Blacks systems and his experience. Only really Tait, Frank and Vukona have much experience internationally under their belt

Reply #366871 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:20 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754