Bearcat
Years ago

State Junior Champs

I suspect that BASA will be flat out trying to get the draw for State Champs out, but it is frustrating trying to arrange your weekend (8 games in) and still no program.
Yes- some teams have pulled out, but that means there is another game that does not have to be slotted in
Anybody else becoming annoyed?

Topic #2857 | Report this topic

FLY  
Years ago

YES!!

I got my reserves program last week in time for Round 13.

I understand BASA are busy, have had teams pull out etc, but surely they can get them out soon...?

Reply #32435 | Report this post

I got my reserves one too, only up until round 18 though :-/

Reply #32441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BASA is not the sole reason that programs are not out and if you guys scratch bneath the surface you would realise it.To everyone that solely dumps on BASA for everything that is wrong with basketball,my suggestion is be part of the solution rather than the problem.
And its not as simple as a team pulls out you just dont roster a game.Learn more before bitching.2 people have the responsibility of programing (senior & juniors) and one of them was forced to take 2 weeks leave at a critical time by his employer
Start by volunteering some time at club level than move up

Reply #32445 | Report this post

wnba fan  
Years ago

if a team pulls out in a higher grade - can a team from a lower grade move up - if they request?

Reply #32451 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Anonymous, could you explain that please? If BASA is not responsible for the draw, who is? And why would someone be forced to take leave if they are an employee (contractor I could understand)? Not bagging, just curious.

Reply #32455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BASA do the draw(ie the 2 employees)
Clubs are required to have information in by due dates.Certain clubs are late with nominations
results with the first hold up:2)gradings are done and clubs complain if they dont get their gradings that is asked for. (2nd holdup) clubs withdraw teams over the first number of weeks (never together but all at separate times)3nd holdup
Forced holiday of employee (4th holdup)Is not replaced by another while on holidays(yes that is basa's fault)(is owed lots of hours leave and is being forced to take them).

Reply #32458 | Report this post

Vincent Vega  
Years ago

Solution: domestic comps.

If the district comp was limited to, say, 3 divisions, and each club fielded teams of extra players in a domestic competition, then there would never be a need to withdraw teams from district, as if district players pulled out, they could be replaced with players from the domestic comp.

The problem is, we try and mix elite and social basketballers in the same (district competition), and end up with a product which isn't suitable for either. Why should withdrawing a division 5 team delay the distribution of a division 1 schedule, and vice versa?

Reply #32490 | Report this post

curious monkey  
Years ago

domestic competition. what a great idea, and they could call it City South...

kudos to Sturt and Forestville

Reply #32491 | Report this post

Bearcat  
Years ago

Anonymous- pls don't take this personally, but it seems that every problem is only partly BASA's fault and the majority of blame to others.
You suggest I start at club level- just goes to show that you know even less about me than I know about you.
When can we expect a program- after all, BASA have some full-time employees-don't they?

Reply #32535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where does this leave the kids who are trying to organise their work rosters for that weekend.

Reply #32620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were off the subject here but good point has been raised about domestic comps. BASA will never go for it unless you address one major problem for them. The money that will lose if they went with this idea.

Reply #32678 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Absolutely! We need to prove that the profit to be made from domestic comps (due to increased player numbers) will outweigh the money lost due to a lower number of district teams.

Reply #32683 | Report this post

Neo  
Years ago

Is BASA's permission as such necessary? There are now at least four clubs invloved in domestic competitions. More will follow.

If the clubs individually go on this path BASA will be forced to accept that they have lost control and that the clubs are putting development ahead of profit.

In the long term domestic comps in Melbourne have led to a huge increase in playing numbers and that has led to an increase in size of the Basketball Victoria run competitions.

Reply #32685 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

BASA's "permission" is necessary for at least two reasons.

Firstly, the clubs own BASA, so it wouldn't be wise for the clubs to make decisions which will have a negative financial affect on BASA.

Secondly, BASA controls the stadiums that the clubs would most likely be wanting to use for domestic competitions.

Having said that, I believe that we can have a domestic competition structure which has a positive impact on both development and income for both BASA and the clubs.

Reply #32689 | Report this post

Neo  
Years ago

My point being we have domestic competitions already so what more 'permission' is required from BASA for clubs to do it?

Reply #32690 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

True, we don't need BASA's permission to do what we are already doing. However if we want our domestic competitions to expand to anything reasonable, then we will. This expansion will require more of BASA's court space, and may reduce the size of the district competition, so we need to make sure that there's positives for everyone.

Reply #32692 | Report this post

Jerry Maguire  
Years ago

The problem is that some clubs wont be able to run a domestic competiton as of next week. While Sturt, Forestville and Southern. And now Norwood to a lesser level already have a head start.

If some clubs have this type of program running while other dont, one of two things will happen.

1/ The BASA admin will not change the district competition and it's negative results such as high cost and poor competition levels. The clubs running the domestic competition will start to draw on more and more players which wil decrease the ability of the other clubs to field district teams. These domestic comp clubs will then become Associations themselves and we will have 3 or 4 super clubs with another 3 or 4 minor clubs. The others clubs wil fail or become a member of the bigger associations.

2/ The competition at district level will change to accommidate the domestic competition by changing the number of divisions to 2 for U'10's and U/20's and 3 or 4 divisions of 8 teams for each other grade.

ie u10 2 divisions of 8
u12

Reply #32728 | Report this post

Jerry Maguire  
Years ago

cont.

sorry hit the tab and posted

ie
u10 2 divisions of 8
u12 3 divisions of 8
u14 4 divisions of 8
u16 4 divisions of 8
u18 3 divisions of 8
u20 2 divisions of 8

The players in the teams that do not qualify for this competition then play in there domestic competition. This could not be implemented straight away. It would need to be done from u10's up AFTER all clubs have some level of domestic competition for u10's. Then as the age groiups move up so would the restriction of entries.

Reply #32729 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

Paul, Why do you need to use BASA court space? Why not utilise decent high school courts, ie Unley. It's smack-bang in the middle of your area.

Reply #33564 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Life Be-In-It/Sport For All already run their own basketball competition at Unley High. There are plenty of other high school courts available (decent and otherwise), but in general, they are too expensive to be viable for a reasonably-priced domestic competition.

Regardless, one of the reasons we need a domestic competition is to create a strong link between participation basketball (domestic comps) and elite basketball (district clubs/associations). For this reason, it's important that the domestic competitions be run by the district "associations" in their home stadium.

Reply #33565 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

Fair enough

Reply #33566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul,

On the premise that you need to have a strong link between domestic comps and district which is reinforced by using the district club home venues doesn't this then place behind the eight ball the clubs with venues which, for no reason of theirs, cannot accommodate such a competition. I am thinking the obvious such as South and North with 2 court venues and Norwood with nothing. If domestic competitions are the way forward do these clubs gradually disappear due to lack of facilities or lack of money to upgrade facilities as they will not have this link between the two comps?

Reply #33567 | Report this post

Paul Arnott  
Years ago

Anonymous #33567,

No. I don't see any chance of these clubs "disappearing".

Access to, and control of, a decent venue is certainly helpful, but I don't think it's the be-all and end-all of domestic competitions.

Two court stadiums could certainly house large and profitable domestic competitions, and if clubs had access to an income stream from these comps, they'd be in a better position to negotiate for new courts/stadia. Norwood are in a tougher position, but could quite easily go into partnership with other clubs to get a domestic competition going.

To summarise - a home stadium helps create a link between a domestic comp and a district club, but it's not the only way to get these comps up and running.

At a recent meeting of club Junior Coaching Directors, each club represented gave their support for the domestic competition concept, and most have started discussions to make this happen. If you're not sure of your own club's position, speak to your JCD.

Reply #33572 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Boti Nagy wasn't very impressed with BASA with this mention of the State Champs draw in The Advertiser today:

Juniors let down

The State Championship this weekend is the jewel in the crown for junior basketball in SA yet a full draw was still not available last night. BASA basketball manager Colin Thompson had to fit holidays in before the event and of course, no-one else did anything so he is still flat out. With 237 teams competing, that's a lot of players, coaches, parents, friends - for a lot of BASA revenue - to be treating with such disrespect.

Reply #33651 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I agree totally with Boti, (might be the first time), it is a disgrace that the programs are not done. How are people supposed to organise their weekend and stadiums to organise referees.

Reply #33653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it certainly is a Disagree. Would they treat the Sixers with such contempt? Where is Basketball heading? The Admin sure needs a shake up. Good Admin will have basketball shining, cause it sure isn't now. Just an idea maybe Junior, ABA, Sixer, Lighting and the Referrees should all should all be run individual, couldn't be worse.

Reply #33663 | Report this post

Manute Bol  
Years ago

Has the fixture for round 5 come up yet? I got to book my return flight back Sudan soon. I'm pretty certain my team isn't going to make the final four.

Sudan Airlines can get pretty busy around this time of the year.

Come on BASA, only one round left to schedule. You can do it man!

I was able to afford the flight out to Australia due to good sales of my latest book "The Sudan Man" which by the way is available in all good book stores.

Reply #33664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sunday games are now up on Sporting Pulse people.

Reply #33680 | Report this post

Mr. Brownstone  
Years ago

I have read "The Sudan Man", one of the most inspiring reads I have ever laid my eyes on.

From the anguish of being a 6ft10 eight year old, to the rise of an NBA superstar. This book has got it all.

Reply #33682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Further to Boti's point; by closing nominations so late and by doing the draw at the last minute it's clear they've managed to completely screw it up. By playing so many games Saturday it means a lot of teams won't be playing at all on Sunday or at most 1 game if they don't play a semi.

In the past games were evenly spread but it would seem in the rush to get it done they've managed to over extend everyone on one day and left Sundays draw almost empty.

Reply #33698 | Report this post

Quiet one  
Years ago

How bout BASA puts the nomination date for teams earlier, therefore giving them more to adjust if needed to due to clubs being late with nominations or teams pulling out. This way they have time to play with a little, and can get the programs out earlier, allowing parents and kids to organise work, study etc, and referees to be organised.

Reply #33818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nominations closed on Friday 22nd April.How much earlier would you like to see nominations close, and still get around the unpredictability of injuries, kids working etc.

Reply #33821 | Report this post

Quiet one  
Years ago

Injuries are always going to happen, so its something you have to be prepared for. Most teams should have around eight players anyway. Plus kids working- most workplaces have a roster system where they can write their non-availability. So they aren't 2 very good reasons why not.
Nominations should close early April, around Easter carnival, giving people enough time to organise- its called time management.

Reply #33822 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

The closing date for nominations can be put as early as you want, however you will find that it doesn't mean that the clubs will actually put their nominations in on time.

I was told that last year Sturt didn't put their nominations in on time. Should we stop them from playing? I am sure you will find that not all clubs nominated on time this year either.

Reply #33828 | Report this post

Quiet one  
Years ago

I do not agree withholding a team from playing because they are late- that defeats the purpose of the competition.
From a business point of view- BASA is in need of money. Fine clubs a certain amount each team they are late nominating.
This has been a neverending problem for a number of years, not only with State Champs, but normal season also.
If BASA dont take some intiative instead of being walked all over, the problem will continue.

Reply #33840 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

It has been said before that BASA couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery! It has proven very true this weekend.

BASA wonder why they are broke when they are paying court hire at places like Unley over the weekend and leaving courts spare at their own stadiums where no court hire is paid!!

Reply #33841 | Report this post

Quiet one  
Years ago

Eg Marion isnt being used.

Reply #33848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah it is.

All BASA venues are. Mvale has 4 courts going all night tonight and all day Saturday. They're using Unley so they don't have to use MARS.

Reply #33849 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

My example comes from the fact that they are using Unley all day on Sunday and M/Vale only have 3 courts in the morning and nothing else for the rest of the day!

Reply #33855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You might not have noticed but Morphett Vale is a fair trek for most.

Considering the tight frame teams normally have on Sundays waiting for results etc they probably figured using Unley, which is more central was a better option then Morphett Vale.

Reply #33861 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

When you don't have any money to pay your employees leave entitlements, keeping things "central" for some shouldn't necessarily matter. Keep in mind that M Vale is the home stadium of the biggest Club in the State. So "most" doesn't really count for much. BTW Hillcrest isn't far?

Reply #33929 | Report this post

Crystalcruiser  
Years ago

I for one can not believe BASA's exceptionally poor organisational skills, it is extremely disappointing to have to wait until you turn up for your first game on a Friday night to know what the rest of the weekend beholds for you!
We are dedicated to our childrens sport and make the commitment and sacrifices needed to be involved with them, but it is so frustrating for all involved when you can't make arrangements for anything else in your life because of incompetence!
In my team alone I have parents trying to organise kids birthday parties, other parents trying to organise catching up with old friends who now live a 5 hour drive out in the country and will be in town for the weekend.
I am sure there are numerous examples of people who though are totally commited to their childs sport are annoyed at their associations lack of thoughtfullness.
As I know there are alot of people out there not involved with basketball but know people who are, asking the question,Who is this disorganised association called BASA?
Not a very good advertisement for Basketball!
By the way I'm still waiting for a full program for this winter season which is almost half way through!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #33938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We have a boy whose sister is playing on the same court at the same time tomorrow as our team. Will be interesting to see how this one works out!

Reply #33940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why is the div 3 playing state champs want a joke more money for basa

Reply #33977 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:42 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754