Brad Newley
David Barlow
Aron Baynes
Mark Worthington
Aleks Maric

Topic #28574 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

pretty much as expected i think, glad PC made it after being a solid NBL player for years, always playing solid D and a good 3pt shot.

3 Current NBL players, the rest earning the big bucks overseas.

Reply #367233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ummm Ogilvy?

Reply #367234 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And where is the link to this info?

Although that is probably the team most people were expecting...PC & AG chosen over DM.

Reply #367235 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

4 guards (3 Pgs and 1 SG)
4 Swingman (1X(3,4) man and 3X(1,2,3) man)
4 Bigs (3 Bangers, 1 finness)
Love the fact they took Crawford

Reply #367237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

link for team
http://london2012.olympics.com.au/news/boomers-to-stand-tall-in-london

Reply #367238 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I think when it was decieded PC was on the team it was really out of Martin and Gibson and Gibson seemed to be in favour during the Youyi games.

I think Damo adds something extra although at a decreased offensive output compared to Gibson.

Oh well, still looks like a good team on paper and hopefully they can get some good games together in London.

Reply #367239 | Report this post

Bill  
Years ago

There is no insurance if a big goes down mid-tornament and there is no way Brown can find enough minutes for all the Guard & Guard/Forwards in the team.

Reply #367244 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Click the players names on that link and you get a nifty profile including a short minute long video that I think everyone going to the Olympics does.

Reply #367245 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Pretty much as expected. Glad Crawford has been picked. Would have been a surprise if he wasn't tho IMO. Agree we have one too many wings. If Newley and Ingles can't cut it I can't see what Barlow would do to change a game. Would have liked to have seen Khazzouh in instead as I think he could provide an offensive spark our other bigs often fail to.

Reply #367254 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As expected. I would like to see a bit of Worthington and Barlow together in the 3-4 spots, that would give a bit of versatility in patches.

Reply #367257 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Unfortunately as much as I like Damian Martin, his lack of shooting ability was always going to catch up with him at some point in his career.

Reply #367261 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Surprise, surprise, there is still nothing about either the Boomers or Opals on the Basketball Australia website. Glad they have a full-time media manager. That's a sweet gig, with apparantely no accountability!

Reply #367262 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Agree Vart, hopeless from BA. last time the boomers had an open training session on the GC i had to make 4-5 phone calls to BA to find out what day/venue and time it was open, they didn't know, it wasn't until i called Dave Claxton before i got an answer.

would've like to see Jawai or khazzouh

Reply #367282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson had better not start or play major minutes because if he does it will be 2010 all over again. I would have liked to see at least one more big because if there is injuries or foul trouble we could be in bigger strife.

Reply #367294 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Patrick Mills
Matt Nielsen
David Andersen
Matthew Dellavedova
Joe Ingles
Adam Gibson
Peter Crawford
Brad Newley
David Barlow
Aron Baynes
Mark Worthington
Aleks Maric

In a 40 minute game I'd like to see a depth chart like this:

C Maric(20)/Baynes(5)/Andersen(5)
PF Andersen(20)/Nielsen(20)/Worthington(0)
SF Newley(25)/Barlow(15)/Worthington(0)
SG Ingles(25)/Gibson(5)/Crawford(0)
PG Dellavedova(25)/Mills(25)

Reply #367368 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

AK-47 I'm not sure Wortho & PC would be happy with their roles.

why do i get the feeling that if those were the minutes barlow, ingles and newley were getting ahead of PC and wortho the stat line would read

1/4,1/2,0/2, 0,1,1 2pts
2/5,1/2,1/3,2,1,1 5pts
etc.

both ingles and barlow do a great job of not putting their hand up and demanding the ball, if players got points for running up and down the court and not touching the ball on a possession then we should leave these guys on the floor because they both score in bunches that way.

Reply #367382 | Report this post

Joker  
Years ago

Why would you take Crawford instead of a young guy. Broekhoff would get valuable experience for the next Olympics if he went. He was Horizon Conference MVP as a Junior, so can flat out play the 2/3 spot.

Reply #367390 | Report this post

Pallas  
Years ago

Horizon player of the year. LMFAO

Crawford played better and maybe trained better. PLus he showed he can light it up from 3 against a zone when we dont have anyone else int he team that acn really do it.

Reply #367393 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

There aren't that many games at the Olympics, so I would hope Brown and co have scouted all our opposition and will adjust their lineups to the suit the matchups.

Eg, against a weaker team we might try to overpower them with size by starting both Maric and Andersen. But on the other hand, against a lot of teams, a Maric and Andersen combo probably wouldn't be the best, because it would make for a very slow frontcourt.

Generally, I would have thought a Maric/ Nielsen combo and an Andersen/ Baynes combo would be best. In the first combo, Maric is your offensive target and Nielsen is there to play D, rebound and perhaps hit the odd mid-range shot if he gets open. With the second combo, you're looking to get Andersen some shots with Baynes on the offensive glass and stiffening the D down the other end.

Depending on your opposition, or who is playing well, you might use one combo a lot more than the other. At times, we might also need to go small and fast with Wortho if the opposing PF proves to agile for our primary bigs.

I don't think Newley has done enough over the past couple of years to warrant a starting spot at these Olympics. If he starts playing to the level we were all expecting of him by now, then I'll be the first to say start him, but until then, he needs to come off the bench.

I think Ingles and Mills will almost certainly start in every game, in which case I'd actually like to see Dellavedova play PG on offence and SG on defence. I think we will get the best out of Mills that way and that our offence will run much more effectively too.

I'd give Newley and Crawford good mins off the bench and use Gibson situationally - honestly I don't think his D is that much better than Crawford's and Crawford can actually shoot!

Barlow - I don't even know why he's on the team. Wouldn't play him at all.

Reply #367395 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Because Joker its the Olympics and we need a guy who can play defence and shoot the three. Broekhoff might be a promising player, but he showed nothing against China that said to me he is ready to compete at the highest level. Sure, if he came in against China and had an instant 'gonna be the next A Gaze' impact, then you take him. He didn't though, so we go with the best guy available in Crawford.

Reply #367397 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

AK47- your depth chart is out by 10 minutes. 5 spots,40 minutes each, 200 minutes in total. Yours adds to 190. 5 each for Crawford and Wortho?

Reply #367418 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Re: comments about Broekhoff and other young guns I agree Beantown..While Bogut made a good point recently in the SMH (i think) that the last few spots should be for young guys so when it is their time, we won't have the same situation like with gaze/heal and the ol'boy boomers, with no young guys with any idea of what an olympics is like, none have been particularly impressive at college or training to warrant a spot except Delly.

Reply #367419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope Ingles doesn't take a role playing attitude to the Olympics. It's all good to have that mentality in club basketball but for us, he's going to be heavily relied upon to provide a legitimate scoring option. Make or break for his career I reckon if he wants to step up in class.

Reply #367426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow adds legitimate size and athleticism to the 3 spot. Although he does have
a weird game on him he has been fairly effective for the Boomers over the years. Actually he had huge raps on him when he was younger, a real point forward with great handles and could just dunk on anyone. But he's never really taken advantage of what talent he has. After his ACL he's never really recovered his world class athleticism and his shocking stroke doesn' help too.

Reply #367430 | Report this post

Simo  
Years ago

I a??m very disappointed that Damian Martin has missed out for Dellavedova. As good as Dellavedova is he is not ready for an international tournament like this. Martin has a much bigger body to handle the contact at that level & is a much better defender & smarter player. Dellavedova will get his opportunity over the next 10 years but I just don'??t think he's quite ready at the moment. Martin's offensive output would have worked against him but really there's enough scoring power on this team. He would be great to come in for a few minutes here n there & do a lock down job on an opposition guard.

Reply #367435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

simmo dellavedova is the better player and playmaker. Martin was competing with Crawford anyway but we needed his shooting ability.

Reply #367440 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Simo, I'm sorry but I remember watching Martin at the last WC's and his lack of speed for a guard was badly exposed. I kept waiting for his trademark harassing style to cause some turnovers or frustration, but it didn't.

I also disagree that this team has enough scoring power. Unfortunately, we have very little in the way of outside shooting and Andersen and Maric, for all their success in Europe, have yet to show they can consistently score for the Boomers.

Mills is our best threat and yet if his jumper is off, there is little he can do unless the other team decides to start giving us fastbreak layups.

Our best hope is that Newley or Ingles finally step up and fulfil the scoring potential their athleticism gives them.

As for Barlow, he has got great size and pretty good handles, but I have rarely seen him use those gifts to dominate his opponent. Ingles is the same player, but has more athleticism and more skill and is four years younger. I just don't really see the point in him being in the side. I still think Khazzouh could offer more if he was given the chance

Reply #367445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MArtin doesnt lack speed. In fact, he is remarkably quick as he showed shadowing speedsters like Mills and Cadee. But he plays so hesistant and doesnt seem to be able to use his speed under Brett Brown because they play containment defence which isnt Damian's strength.

First game of the you yi under Lemains Martin had the chinese guards crapping themselves. With Brown as coach Delly and Crawford are better choices because they fit the system and fill gaps.

Reply #367448 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Well I remember the last World Champs differently where Martin looked a step slow most of the time.

I'll allow that he has looked hesitant at times playing for the Boomers, but even if he played with confidence, it doesn't change the lack of speed.

The other thing is that Martin gets away with a lot of very physical play in the NBL that just won't be allowed at international level. He'll just rack up fouls and send the other team to the line.

With regard to the Chinese team, pretty much every guard we played had them crapping themselves! They just aren't very good compared to the talent we will face in the Olympics.

Reply #367457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin also deals with much bigger & quicker guards at international level than he does in the NBL.

He can't shoot or finish at the rim especially at that level so a waste of a spot if we had have taken him.

Reply #367458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin barely played at the worlds in 2010. When you sit and then come on and have to play defence youre not used to of course you will look slow. If Beveridge was aussie coach Martin would be a different plyer out there.

As for China look at their results they were competitive with good teams at the worlds. Yes there are better teams but dont underestimate their players.

Reply #367460 | Report this post

mick  
Years ago

china are rubbish. There is nothing to underestimate. unfortunately, perth and Martin get away with lots if two handed holding in the backcourt, which is illegal in fiba rules yet NBL officials have somehow got used to it and don't call it. While you can't understate his hustle and effort, his effectiveness would look a lot different if the game was called properly...

Reply #367485 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

Wow, some great comments here.

I have to agree with Joker above, Broekoff should have got the nod ahead of Crawford based on what I saw at training Wed & Thurs night. For a guy who can't play defence, Broekoff sure gets his hands on a lot of loose passes and if we are to rely on Crawford's defence we are in a lot of trouble. Crawford may just win us a game of his own bat if he gets on the court. Would have preferred to see Broekoff get the experience as neither player will play significant minutes.

Also agree with the comment about Barlow and Ingles not impacting the game enough with the amount of court time they recieve, in fact I'd add Neley to that group. I do hope these guys have finally matured as players and can deliver on the potential we have all heard so much about.

Other notes of interest from the training sessions I saw were:
> Nielsen will still play a major role and will probably be our best big again.
> Baynes has improved a lot, makes better decisions now and will hopefully have a good olympics
> Jawai was the best offensive player during both sessions, however as expected stank on defense and had to be coached by every player on his team.
> Delly has filled out a lot and looks like a man for the first time.
> Patty was very disruptive on defence.
> Ingles didn't do any competitve work, but shot the shit out of it in his shooting workout.

Reply #367487 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

China gave bronze medallists Lithuania a very good run for their money in the knockout rounds in 2010, only a red hot Kleiza preventing an upset. They certainly arent rubbish, though they lack depth.

Broekhoff isnt ready, though he will probably develop into a very good player. Crawford is well ahead of him simply due to his experience and the development of his shot over time. With five guys in the team 25 or younger we dont need to blood any other young players at an Olympics.

Re the wing players not impacting themselves on the game, it seemed last year against NZ the game plan involved Mills and the bigs. That was a good game plan, especially with no Pero Cameron, but we will need a different emphasis this time around as we wont have a low post advantage against most.

Reply #367491 | Report this post

;)  
Years ago

Idiot Jawai just came back to boomers after 3 yrs

Reply #367492 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Brown said Crawford only has to shoot when needed.
Hasn't mentioned his defensive qualities.

Reply #367494 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

MELHOOPS good to hear Jawai still an offensive powerhouse..hopefully addresses his defence next seasons, would be great to see him play at the WCs in 2014

Reply #367506 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

Jawai or Kaxxouh had to be there

Reply #367632 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Coach Breatt Brown on Dellevedova after game 1 of the Farewell Games:

"He is one of those dilemma-type situations, rotations-wise, because he deserves to be on the floor," Brown said. "Then when you look over you have Patty, so somewhere something has to got to give with Patty going to two-guard and Matty goes to one and they can play together."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/olympics/news-london-2012/mills-magic-guides-boomers-to-win-20120624-20ws3.html#ixzz1ylem0XdS

This is what we want to see - a Delly & Mills back court combo!

An undermanned Great Britain fell to Lithuania by just 2 points in other warm up games.

Reply #367664 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Thanks for the article LC. I really liked our offensive cohesion when Delly, Mills, Ingles and Maric we're on the floor together. It was great to watch.

Reply #367668 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I hope Brown sticks with a core group for London and not share the minutes around unless foul trouble presents who someone is having a particularly off night.

Delly and Mills were both a pleasure to watch - Delly for his decision making and service delivery, and Mills for his now beautiful stroke!

Ingles also impressed for mine, as did Baynes and Maric.

Reply #367670 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Definitely agree with all your points LC.

It's clear just how hard Patty has worked on his shot, and it's now absolutely impeccable.

I was really impressed by Ingles. He looks to have gained some size and strength, but what was apparent was his confidence level seemed sky high. Hope he can keep hitting the outside shot too.

It's easy to forget that Mills and Ingles are both only 24 years old (Patty turns 24 in a couple of weeks). They will be wearing the green and gold for a long time and will only get better and better.

Reply #367675 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Yeah, and the other advantage about the Delly-Mills 1-2 combo that it helps mask the weakness at the 2 spot, particularly shooting-wise. Although it was promising to see the confidence of Ingles. Let's hope he maintains this for what looks like a starting 2 role on the team.

Reply #367723 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Articles from the Saint Mary's College and Washington State University websites...

Saint Mary's Duo Named To Aussie Olympic Team

Former Coug Aron Baynes Named to Australian Olympic Team

Reply #367780 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

By the box score Barlow starting again in game 2. Sorry but I don't get it. About as logical as screen staring for the Opals.

Reply #367783 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Just been told that the insurances paid for most of these guys from O/S teams to play for Australia in Olympics, is a massive total. Like half the budget for the Olympic basketball programme.

Reply #368554 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:12 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754