Statman
Years ago

NH - Computer/Internet question

Got a wierd issue happening today with my computers at work. Seems that whenever I try to go into Facebook I am getting auto redirected to some wierd ad.fly website that is trying to sell me crap. Its not only happening on my laptop but any computer that is connected to my internet connection and even my IPhone cant access Facebook while connected to the office wifi (but it can when on 3G)

No other websites are affected, its just facebook. Anyone ever seen this before or had any experience with it and more importantly know how to fix it?

Topic #28594 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Have you Googled around for info on that ad.fly site and specifically info relating that to your office router? (Sorry Birdman!) That seems to be the common element.

What brand/model is your router?

If it were just the PCs in your office, I'd wonder if they'd all been infected but this is less likely for the phone. Sounds like your connection is being tweaked on the way through which suggests something's got control of your router or your ISP is fiddling with links heading to Facebook. Latter would probably make the news unless your ISP is smallfry.

Reply #367696 | Report this post

Birdman  
Years ago

ha!

Reply #367700 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Its a netgear router and yes Ive done a bit of googling but I must admit most of the stuff Ive found by way of explanations is way over my head, or trys to get my to buy some online 'malware cleaner' to fix my problems and Im not overly keen to just load up some programme im not 100% sure of.

My IT man is coming out in the morning to have a look so hopefully he will have some answers.

Reply #367701 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Have you gone into the router settings and poked around looking for any giveaways?

Could be some method of automated attack (by driveby?) or someone mucking around for profit? Is your wifi using the default name?

You could note down your router settings (if they're a pain to remember), reset to factory settings, then update the firmware (to block the same vector being used) and then set up new? And make sure the password on it is non-standard and the name of your Wi-Fi doesn't give away the brand/model of the router either.

Keep in mind that you'd probably want to download the firmware and any product manual first or have a back-up connection to save cleaning out your device and then needing the net to get help setting it up.

Alternative method - give up Facebook!

Reply #367706 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

1) Clear out your cache and make sure that includes clearing out your 'favourites' preserved data.

2) Clear out your internet history and re-enter the facbook URL from scratch.

3) Tell your IT at work that they suck when it comes to their Firewall Protection.

4) If you are the IT support at your work, install Ad-Blocker onto the browser.

There's a start.

Reply #367713 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I get a similar problem when I try to get onto facebook at work.

I get this error:

Web Page Blocked!
You have tried to access a web page which is in violation of your internet usage policy.

URL: facebook.com/
Category: Social Networking

To have the rating of this web page re-evaluated please click here.

hahaha....

Reply #367724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly AlexK your work doesnt want you to be on FB all day!!! ;)

Reply #367742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like your work has blocked the site..just like they block some sites in schools

Reply #367917 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:54 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754