Vart
Years ago

U17 World's warm-up tournament in Canary Islands

Good news as our Aussie boys beat Spain 71-55 in the semi-final, and play the USA in the final tomorrow.

Top scorers for Australia were Nick Duncan 14 points in 16 minutes, Dante Exum 13 points in 22 minutes, Ben Simmons 10 points in 20 minutes and Felix Von Hofe 10 points in 12 minutes.

Topic #28596 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

stats
http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u17/stats__australia_71_spain_5_2012_06_24.html

Reply #367736 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Nice one!

Early days, but very promising signs...

Reply #367745 | Report this post

Jersey  
Years ago

https://sports.tsc.nsw.edu.au/news/gerard-martin-bound-lithuania/

Reply #367835 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Unfortunately we lost the final of this warm-up tournament overnight, going down 89-64 to the USA. (link to boxscore - http://t.co/e08OERSX). Dante Exum led Australia's scoring with 15 points.

The U17 World Championships kick off on June 29th in Kaunas, Lithuania. Our first game is a rematch with the USA, so hopefully we can bridge the gap.

Our other pool games are against China, Czech Republic, Egypt and France.

Reply #367865 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Just looking at the box score, it would appear that the Boomers main issue (defensive rebounding) has filtrated it's way down to our current U17's - we lost the rebound count 50-29, and gave up 27.....yes, 27 offensive rebounds!!!!!!!

I must admit this is the first box score I've looked at, so I'm not sure if it's a trend, or if it's purely attributable to the USA's superior size and strength. I hope it's the latter.

Reply #367866 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

We got smashed on the offensive boards by the looks of it - giving up a staggering 27 which led to the USA having 81 shots to our 52!

Apart from that, everything looked pretty even...

Reply #367868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1n the 2010 Tournament Having witnessed the USA style, size and execution of their approach to rebounding was by far the best I have seen.

It is no wonder we were beaten by that amount.... not an excuse just plain outsized and executed in that area of the game. Where we competed was in the execution of Coach Molloy's offense and transition game.

Life in USA school and AAU competitions would be far more aggressive when competing for the ball that thgese kids learn and have to execute at a n early age as they play week in and week out against good size and good athleticism.

The boys will need to get better at that part of the game but all reports had us 18-4 up at one point, then down by 8 in the 3rd qtr before a 20-7 run by the USA. Good signs in many areas, big few days ahead for the team and staff.

Good luck boys

Reply #367970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rebounding deficit would be because Australia doesn't nurture their bigs.

Reply #367988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or maybe they just got out hustled

Reply #367996 | Report this post

Sports Minister  
Years ago

Maybe it's just one practice game?????

Reply #368047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the USA have 300 million people and are the best in the world at basketball?

Reply #368052 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:31 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754