Anonymous
Years ago

Djeric, Exum and Simmons.. future boomers.. when?

Ok, from what i have seen from the u17 games, the game I watched and what i am hearing sounds like Simmons, Exum and Djeric will be Boomers in the future... but when? 2 years? 4 years? 6 years? Watching the games there the only 3 I can say, yep... Boomers.. the others, whilst being solid for there ages didnt exactly blow mt mind and could turn into anything or nothing. So when are these guys gonna be Boomers? and what will the 2014, 16,18 and 20 teams look like? with some of our current boomers.. starting to creep up to 30.

Topic #28721 | Report this topic

benno  
Years ago

On march 16th 2016 at 5.23pm how the hell are we to know??

Reply #369695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the boomers are to ever compete for medals then they must include 2-3 of those guys in there starting 12 post olympics..As either Bogut or Anstey recently pointed out the young guys do not get enough exposure at worlds/Olympics. I'd love to see Australia have a really young team at the worlds that includes mills, delay, Bogut + the best current crop of college players/NBL youngsters guys like motum, drimic, Bose, grenwood, cadee along with the names mentioned from the current U/17 team..... A team thats quite competitive over the next couple of years but more important will be a real competitor in 4 years! Luv to see this type of selection instead of guys like Gibson, wortho & P.C getting a run and sitting on the pine when the expirence of attending the olympics could go to a guy like Bose who has a much bigger upside and a possible starter in a full strength team in 2 years.

Reply #369699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah but the Olympics is not about blooding talent. If they're good enough, sure. But pick a team that will go away and try to "win it". If the kids are up for it certainly.

But just remember, they are all moving into bottom aged 20s, except for Simmons who is moving into top age Under 18s.

And both Exum and Simmons will probably play at high level Colleges.

Reply #369706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We do have a lot of prospects moving forward, but I'm more excited about the type of prospects that are coming up mainly at the 2-3 spot. We've never had this type of athleticism and length at those spots so it will be intersting how the Boomers shape up in the future. Imagine we have Mills, Exum, Creek, Simmons, Bogut, Ingles, Jawai etc in the squad, we would be one of the most explosive teams in international basketball in my opinion. I just hope that the younger players improve over time especially the ones at the 2-3 spots.

Reply #369707 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"Imagine we have Mills, Exum, Creek, Simmons, Bogut, Ingles, Jawai etc in the squad"

Now we just need more of them to develop a reliable jumpshot. You can only do so much with athleticism.

Reply #369715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep in mind Bogut is going to be 32 at the next olympics. He is injury prone now. The window is small for athletes and while some good (IE legit, international stars) ones are trickling through its not at a fast enough rate to contest for a gold/silver at the olympics just yet. We simply need more depth.

Reply #369719 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Your getting abit ahead of yourself I think, Simmons is only 15, Exum is 16 and don't forget Thon Maker whose 14.. the only one who really has a big chance at the next olympics is Exum in my opinion but after that I see Simmons etc becoming main stays in the Boomers team.

RJD is right as well, we definately need a decent shooter to rise out of the bunch and I definately think Exum can be that kid with enough hard work

Speaking of College the other day I think draft express asked Exum who had offered him and he replied only St Mary's and Boise.. I dont think he'll have to worry about offers now thats for sure(tho as a St Mary's fan I hope he becomes a Gael, seems like the way to make the Boomers back court at least heh)

Reply #369720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Djeric has a lot of work to do.

Reply #369722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's very realistic for both Simmons and exum to make the next Olympic side. Even the worlds in Excums case... Keep in mind the 9th-12th player is rarely used so playing two teenagers( provided they develop) is a really viable option if and only if your not loosing out a whole lot with guys that would take there spot.... I feel a great example is Crawford being selected over Bose... P.C will most likely sit on the bech for the majority of the games and while you tend to know what you get with him that spot could go to Bose who is a little less predictible I feel his best is better than what P.C offers and he could be part of the next two Olympic sides!

Reply #369735 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

All these guys still have work to do - not just Djeric! would love to see Exum in a Gael uniform too, but I reckon UNC will come calling...

Reply #369736 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I think you guys are missing the point of why PC made the Olympic team. He is there for one reason only. He can shoot the ball well from the perimeter. That's it.

As far as Exum as Simmons go, in my opinion they will definitely both play on the next Olympic team (especially if David Stern gets his wish and turns the event into an under-23 tournament). Exum will be 20, and Simmons 19, the same ages as when Ingles and Mills made their debuts in Beijing. And four years is huge in terms of their overall development, they should be ready to go in 2016.

Reply #369739 | Report this post

MELHOOPS  
Years ago

I agree, they will both be selected for 2016. I really hope they get a hold on Djeric and continue to develop him. He is super safe and compliments agressive offensive play with his passing and deep outside shooting. I'm most excited about the possibility of have a backcourt consisting of Mills / Delly / Exum / Djeric some day soon. With Simmons and Ingles scoring at will from the 3 spot. And don't forget Drmic and Hadziomeric. Just need some bigs....besides Motum coming through. I think the first thoughts of a medal will come at Worlds 2018 - I'll just mark my calendar.

Reply #370057 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Good to see your excited MELHOOPS!

You'll just need to adjust your calendar, as the World Champs (or Cup as it's now called) will be 2019, instead of 2018. FIBA have decided to play it the year after the FIFA Football World Cup effective 2019. So the next basketball world cup is 2014 as scheduled, and then 2019, then 2023 and so on.

Reply #370061 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:12 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754