Boomers
Years ago

Boomers vs Spain in Granada, 04:45

Who is getting up at 4.45 for the game? Can our boys compete with Spain in front of a crazy Granada crowd?

Gimme Spain by 6. Ingles to top score.

Topic #28791 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought you'd be sitting by the radio Thomas waiting for the ABC to run another interview with Scott Derwin about the Blaze?

Reply #370753 | Report this post

The guru  
Years ago

My name is mike mate. Also why would they talk about Nbl on abc late at night lol?

It barely gets a mention at the best of times.

Reply #370755 | Report this post

g  
Years ago

Is it on any where?

Reply #370756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well you just never know when you will get a scoop like you did this morning I guess. Your timing was sensational to hear Scotty Derwin announcing the Blaze were safe - almost 8 hours before the official announcement which said nothing of the sort.

and its Mike now is it, I find it a bit hard to keep up with your alias roundabout, hence I think I'll just stick with Thomas.

Reply #370758 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

How do we get to watch this game, is it only online or can we see it on Foxtel...?

Maybe 'livestats' or its equal somewhere...?

A pre-Olympics practise game it it?

Oz by 6 points!

Reply #370760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spain will win easily, unless they are going to be playing some sort of mind games...

Reply #370761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So long as its not a thrashing I am pretty happy... under 15 is great

Reply #370764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hate reading the pessimism...were yet to see Australia challenge so were yet to see how they will handle it!!!!!!

Reply #370769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ive hated watching the Boomers not challenge since 1992 on any regular basis, so excuse my realistic approach to the facts of the state of the sport in this country. Throw Bogut in and everything is different, but without him, dont expect anything to amazing.

Reply #370784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not challenge since 1992?????????? i HAVE TO STRONGLY DISAGREE THERE! Add to the fact that we beat silver medalists croatia to get through to the medal rounds in 96, and came 4th in 2000... id say we did challenging for a good 8 years after then! and also... as for challenging i believe last olympics we smashed russia and lithuania, 2 teams at the top end of world teams who were suppose to comfurtably beat us. Q@hy does everyone get behind the soccerross because they had one notable close loss yet the Boomers routinely show spirit against the best teams and there just snubbed off??????

Reply #370788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Spain are even half serious (highly unlikey given it's Australia) they'll win by 30+

Reply #370789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ thats sheer crap! weve beaten some highly talented teams and we have taken it to the line with some of the best... i think some people are pessimistic for the fun of it.

Reply #370790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am not sure what this looks like to you, but watch all of the clips, looks like Australia taking it right up to Argentina to me... whats your excuse? that aregnetina was sleep walking? get a grip mate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmri_tw-tro

Reply #370792 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

In 2008, after the nervous start to the tournament, Goorjian had the Boomers functioning very well on offense. In those last few pool games Goorjian was getting the most of the talent he had, with most of the team able to hit the outside shot at a very good clip when they didn't go with an inside target. Anstey is probably right when he said that the 2008 team was better than the 2000 team.

2012 is a totally different siutation. We are now under Brown using his NBA-inspired San Antonio playbook (has any team apart from the hyper-talented US managed to succeed with NBA-style structures in international ball?), we have numerous core players coming off sub-par seasons (most notably Newley, Barlow, and Maric), we are without our best player who provides a genuine inside target offensively and holds down the middle defensively, the player with the best form in Europe has not yet even played a game with the team this year yet, and now we are relying on an unproven and inexperienced player to run the offense (Delly instead of Bruton).

If Brown can pull it off, I'll give him plenty of credit, but we've got a lot more "ifs" that need to go our way to make it through to the medal round, much more than most other teams in the tournament.

Against Spain I hope we are at least competitive, keep improving, and give players more confidence heading into the tournament. (I was going to list who needs the confidence, but I realise that it's most of the team: Newley, Barlow, Ingles, Maric after not getting minutes in Europe, Andersen because he has underperformed in previous major tournaments, and Delly because he will be taking on a big role at a young age).

Reply #370797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol I think its amazing, now that gorjians gone hes seen as a god when he was here all anyone wanted to do was ridicule.... But hey, 2 words.. Luke Kendall... that makes all ridicule of gorj atleast somewhat just... then again not sure what other guards we really had that couldve taken his place, seems back then we were lighter on guards then we are now.

the 2008 team was just unlucky to start off shit, they ended the pool round right on form and the americans werent taking them lightly at all on the strength of there preseason game and there latter performances///

having said that, I have hope for this team... theyve been toegther a while now, they know eachothers games, there experienced yet young, and p[robably would be the fittest team out there as planned.. I like to be an optomixt... we could win 4 and lose 1, or win 1 and lose 4.. and everything in between... when it comes to the Boomers, it all comes down to the night, Ive seen games where theyve trashed lithuania and games where they lose to new zealand!

Reply #370798 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

To put it in context, Goorj had no experience coaching at international level and started off with relatively poor results with a Boomers team in rebuilding mode, but appeared to improve and manage to get used to the international game with arguably the most well-run team we've had in decades. While we are starting over again with a new head coach, Brown at least had over 100 games of experience as an assistant coach at international level before becoming a head coach. We can only wait to see if Brown's decision to employ the Spurs system is best suited for our team.

Reply #370801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Live Link http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/131008/1/watch-spain-vs-australia.html

Reply #370802 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

35-35 at the half

Reply #370804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TIED AT HALF TIME!!!!!!!

Btw... Australia hasntb been playing that great and looked sloppy so to even be in itmright now is an achievement

Reply #370805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i was hoping there were some others watching this, Pau is causing us trouble and we also are struggling with our D rebounding.

Our swings are going well! Ingles has hit a couple of shots and Newly brings good energy and helps w boards and gets to reciever spots nicely, had a flush to finish the half. Wish maric wasnt in foul trouble, and that we had Jawai he would really take up some space inside.

Mills and Delly have been good so far.

We've played only man but Spain have mixed it up a little with some extended 1-2-2 or 1-3-1 to eat shot clock and have played a little zone.

Hope Brett Brown can keep the rotations going alright and we can have a good 2nd half, the had the mic in his timeout earlier and he was struggling.

Reply #370806 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

At times we looked very undersized out there you're right it would have been nice to throw in a Jawai somewhere there

Reply #370807 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

http://vertigodeportes.blogspot.com.es/p/link2.html

I couldnt get the other link to work. Finally found this.

Reply #370808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The canary yellow is hideous! That's right I said canary yellow, what else could you call it!

Reply #370809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mills, Newly, Ingles, Andersen and Baynes start second. Tempo is quickening, not sure if thats good for us or not.

Reply #370810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach Brown draws up a simple play and when Baynes asks which screen do I set his response is "just play"!

Reply #370811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were up 2 half way through third quarter!

Reply #370812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

7 point run by boomers

Reply #370813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spain resorting to outside jumpers for last few minutes, we have managed to clean up our defensive rebounding and its helping.

Reply #370814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were getting out on the run too, go Aussie! Fairly good performance to this point. Spain look a little uninterested but who cares, would be a great confidence builder.

Reply #370815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes, the boards have been cleaned up and were not lookin too bad apart from the occasional unco lapse

Reply #370816 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Perhaps this has only happened in the few minutes I've seen so far, but Spain appears to be hardly trying to get O boards. A result of focusing on transition D? Australia has done well to get a few transition baskets from what I've seen.

Reply #370817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great fullcourt trap!

Reply #370818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alright! Spanish coach gets angry at his charges and tells them to get to the basket and we come out a trap and turn em over! Calderon gets T'd up! Were about to see if we can hang with the big boys.

Reply #370819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Aussies may just win this game! Gasol is on fire showing his class

Reply #370820 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Delly my boy welcome to the big time. Great experience for a young player.

Reply #370821 | Report this post

Johnny  
Years ago

Wortho is beasting....

where are all the haters from this board?

Looks like Maric must be injured or something?

Reply #370822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well down 1 at end of third, a little flop and O foul call took some momentum away but you have to deal with that! If we can hit a few jumpers, maintain our rebounding improvement and stop them from pounding it inside then we have a good shot at this one! PUMPED!!! This could be a great win.

Reply #370823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newely!!! Beasting

Reply #370824 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Baynes tries to tomahawk serge lmao

Reply #370825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like that Baynes tried to dunk on Ibaka! He missed but still!

Reply #370826 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Great to see Newley hit a couple consecutive threes. Then Delly nails the triple!

Reply #370827 | Report this post

Johnny  
Years ago

Baynes missing the dunk over Ibaka...he almost had a story to tell his grand children.

I don't get why Fernandez is in the NBA and Newley isn't...practically the same player. Possibly more of a slight on Rudy than a positive for Newley

Reply #370828 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

We bring on Mills Anderson Maric and Ingles and a 4 point lead turns into a 5 point deficit lol that's basketball for ya.

Reply #370829 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Spain on a run. Must be 9-0.

By the way, if Ibaka can play for Spain, we shouldn't feel guilty about accepting Irving into the team in the future.

Reply #370830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you can definitely see why gasols in the NBA though

Reply #370831 | Report this post

Johnny  
Years ago

^^
still no Maric...haven't seen him since the 1st

Reply #370832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Baynes missed a dunk on Ibaka that would have put us up 6 with 8 to go. We ended up with 3 OR and got nothing there, it hurt us bad.

They went on a run with fast breaks and a lob to Ibaka for a layin and Coach Brown was late with his timeout and were now down 6 with 4.30 to go.

Reply #370833 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Brown was way late with the timeout you're right

Reply #370834 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Bring Delly on he can at least run an offence

Reply #370835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worthy sucks undersized and doesn't do anything why isn't Neilson on?

Reply #370836 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Amusing seeing Baynes try to go up against Ibaka. I love watching a dominant shotblocker.

Reply #370837 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

haha, Barlow gives Calderon a blood nose. He seems pissed.

Reply #370838 | Report this post

Johnny  
Years ago

I thought Wortho has been good (apart from that airball).

When no one else wanted to rebound he started reeling them in, and hitting up the guards with good outlets

Reply #370839 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Boomers went ice cold for minutes. Only scored again when Delly came back.

Reply #370840 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Wow free throw need some work

Reply #370841 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Spain win 75-69. Well done to the Boomers for getting close.

Reply #370842 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Credible effort from Australia, certainly not the 30 point thrashing some predicted.

Reply #370843 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True that Phil... I wasnt sure how the game would go before I saw it but I am far more confident now about the Boomers at the moment. We played a pretty average game really.. not great, not terrible. yet there we are 6 points within world number 2 Spain... thats gotta give ya some optomism? say what ya want about hiding ceretain set plays or strategies or whatever, when 2 teams get on the court they wanna win... and I think we are hiding things just as they are... lets face it Maric didnt see a minute in the second half and he couldve made a difference .. some idiotic passes and some quickfire shots didnt help our case... but overall I am optomistic at the moment they just need to clean a few things up. But having said that tis is teh first REAL competiion theyve had, AND IT DOESNT COME ANY REALER THEN SPAIN! so... I think they handled it considerably well.. there wouldve been things the Boomers got use to getting away with that they couldnt Vs Spain this may cause them to lift in future

Reply #370844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what happened to maric? did he get injured? he didn't come on after the 5 min mark in the first quarter.

Reply #370845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When we really needed scores we had nothing, we jacked up crap when Spain made their run which put Mills in a position to have to force it.

We settled for jumpers and it hurt.

Reply #370846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His freethrow percentage maybe?

I also wanna reiterate on this comment someone made

"If Spain are even half serious (highly unlikey given it's Australia) they'll win by 30+"

Hmmmm... scoreboard says NO!

Reply #370847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if we don't find an answer for gasol. we're done.

Reply #370848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and I have to say, there was alot of messy sloppyness through the game... alot of half baked passes and ill conceived shots, and we still were so close... we mustve been doing a few things right?

Reply #370849 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Gimme Spain by 6.

Spain win 75-69.

Spot on.

Reply #370851 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

75 - España (19+16+19+21): Calderón (4), Rudy (9), Navarro (-), Reyes (12), Pau Gasol (22) -cinco inicial- Rodríguez (3), Llull (9), Claver (7), San Emeterio (4), Ibaka (5) y Sada (-).

69 - Australia (16+19+18+16): Mills (14), Worthington (-), Ingles (10), Andersen (12), Maric (1) -cinco inicial- Crawford (-), Gibson (4), Newley (16), Dellavedova (5), Barlow (3), Baynes (4), Nielsen (-).

http://www.acb.com/redaccion.php?id=86212

Reply #370853 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

When Newley is on offensively we are a completely different team, capable of challenging most countries. It just hasnt happened in many meaningful games since 2008 = let's hope this form continues.

Reply #370854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know if it's possible to catch a replay online or fox?

Reply #370857 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

The game will be up here in a few hours:

http://www.rtve.es/alacarta/videos/baloncesto/

Reply #370870 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Photo of the paper box score

http://hoopdiary.com/?attachment_id=2174

Reply #370871 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

http://www.basketball.net.au/fileadmin/user_upload/galleries/boomers/boxscore.JPG

Reply #370872 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I thought Ibaka was from DRC, what's his connection to Spain?

Reply #370875 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

according to boxscore Marc Gasol didn't play..pretty handy having an NBA all-star sit on your bench and still be dominate inside.

Reply #370891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"if we dont beat gasol, were done"

well funny that because we let gasol do what he wanted and almost won? SO MANY NAY SAYERS AND HATERS!!

If we bet team USA it would be like "yeah but Kevin durant took 10 minutes on the bench"

be proud of a good game FFS

Reply #370892 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Ibaka played a number of years in Spain and thus has citizenship and is Spain's one naturalised player.

Reply #370897 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Ibaka played a number of years in Spain and thus has citizenship and is Spain's one naturalised player.

Reply #370898 | Report this post

The Key  
Years ago

Spain Population 47,190,493
Aus Population 22,620,600

Good Effort I think to get close to most international sides.

Aussies should be optomistic about their performances. We really do well for our size.

Reply #370899 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Maric and Nielsen are both carrying injuries and won't play in tomorrows match...

Reply #370901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know the rules re injury replacements for olympic teams? Is there like a cutoff date for when you are allowed to replace a player? And I'm guessing you can't replace a player if injury occurs during games?

Reply #370903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Credible effort from Australia, certainly not the 30 point thrashing some predicted.

Um, you do realise Marc Gasol (all-star NBA centre) didn't even play and two of their best players in Navarro & Calderon played like 10-15 minutes each?

It was a very good effort by us sure but if they were even half serious about the result it would've been 30-40 points.

Reply #370913 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

We didn't have Bogut and Maric for most of the game seriously anon where does it end?

We don't even get pumped by the US by that much. Stop trolling.

Reply #370914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gasol was the difference in this game. If we don't find an answer for him we're most likely done. Hard to see Anderson containing him for long stretches but he's not unstoppable. This game actually gives me more perspective on where we are at the moment and I believe we're close to getting shit together. Our defensive pressure was top shelf and our offensive sets ran like clockwork until the final moments. We lost our momentum when Brown rotated subs which probably cost us the game in the end but you can't fault him for rotating in a friendly.
Honestly I thought we were the ones going to struggle with the defensive pressure but it was completely opposite, it just highlights the fact that European teams struggle against speed and defending quick transition movement. It will interesting to see against Brazil who could probably match our speed.
Very positive performance in the end but it will be difficult for them to do it again tonight sadly, this would be the time where they feel jet lagged hard after a 38 hour flight schedule but yeah anything can happen. prediction 84-83 Aus win on the buzzer.

Reply #370915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"our offensive sets ran like clockwork"

I thought there were moments of good but a lot of stagnant play. Not a great system for our team but its the one they know so hopefully they can get a few wins in London with some more good shooting nights like last night.

Reply #370918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We didn't have Bogut and Maric for most of the game seriously anon where does it end?

We don't even get pumped by the US by that much. Stop trolling.

Yeah and they had their starting PG (Rubio) out injured too, where does it end so stop trolling.

Was it last year or the year before when Spain pumped us by around 40 points in Spain?

Reply #370922 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

It's pretty hard to get pumped by 30 or 40 points in an Olympic year bud

Reply #370923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What like China just beating Tunisia by around 30, do you actually have any sort of clue what you're talking about?

Reply #370933 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

I'm referring to us champ

Reply #370941 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Actually in the last Olympics Lithuania pumped us so i am a bit wrong it can happen.

Still don't reckon if you throw in Bogut anyone other than USA smashes us by 30.

Reply #370942 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

rohant16, we actually pumped Lithuania in the last Olympics, 106 to 75. It was Lithuania's only loss in pool play.

Reply #370944 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The Key:
Spain Population 47,190,493
Aus Population 22,620,600
*New Zealand 4,433,752

Good Effort I think to get close to most international sides.
Aussies should be optomistic about their performances. We really do well for our size.

* ;)

Reply #370961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To indulge Mystro's NZ comment above, Australia does have the added struggle of a crowded sports market draining athletes from basketball, AFL being a topical example lately.

I'd be interested to know, in NZ's case, if you're a talented athlete say 6'5 or above, who mightn't necessarily be suited to rugby union, what is the number one sport you'd choose? I'd guess bball but I might be wrong. Similarly in Spain's case beyond soccer I'd imagine bball would be the primary choice of sport.

Also NZ's lack of depth does allow for greater development at a national level of the existing talent they have

Reply #370963 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

nz do quite well for size but yes, not a lot of competition for their best athletes. still love seeing em do well against the rest of the world.

australia does expectionally well considering footy, rugby cricket and soccer have the first pick of most athletes/ sportsmen.

its purely speculation, but if bball was the #1 sport in australia i honestly think we would be a clear #2 in the world of bball. by a country mile.

and, if the aboriginal community ever took notice of soccer balls and grew up with them instead of a footy ild reckon we would be massive in the world of soccer.

Reply #370970 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great effort by the Boomers! Very encouraging for all involved less than 2 weeks out from the games...should be a good confidence boost.

Great to see Newley do well, and Australia shoot the ball so well overall. Let's hope the chemistry continues to build as we need to start the Olympics strongly unlike previous major campaigns.

Reply #370979 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hey Mystro,

Lithuania - 3,203,000

;)

(Slovenija is around 2m and also does pretty well considering.)

Reply #370993 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

go lithuania!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

helps when your population is freakishly tall and have nothing better to do with their time though.

Reply #370997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure basketball is the #1 sport in Lithuania too where as here it's behind aussie rules, rugby league, union, cricket, soccer, tennis and maybe even golf.

Reply #371005 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

VART you're right i'm thinking of Slovenia who pumped us in the world champs silly me.

Go Boomers

Reply #371080 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

rohant16, you're thinking of Serbia! We lost to them 94-79 at the 2010 Worlds.

Reply #371083 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

My mistake rohant16, we did also lose to Slovenia 87-58. So we got pumped by Serbia and Slovenia! Damn. 2010 Worlds were not our best effort.

Reply #371084 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

I know mate those were some dark nights in front of the television. Made it worse Slovenia then got smashed by Turkey.

Reply #371086 | Report this post

Only one problem with your "the key" argument Mystro. They are the same population numbers for our women who are ranked 2 in the world. I agree the men do well relative to our population size but the women show us that this is not an insurmountable problem

Reply #371219 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

what argument? I copied and pasted another comment and added a bit if you read the "whole thread"

Reply #371257 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:44 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754