Statman
Years ago

Blaze owners withdraw team, cite frustration with BA

Tomlinson family have tonight decided to walk away from the Blaze and wind it all up

:(

Topic #28792 | Report this topic

skull  
Years ago

statman - anything official on that yet??

Reply #370773 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

As official as you will get at 11pm - expect a prepared statement from Owen in the morning

Shiite result :(

Reply #370776 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

GC basketball just posted release on FB.

Withdrew submission.

Reply #370777 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

It's 100% true. Don't expect a press release until the morning.

Reply #370778 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Can't copy page on iPhone???

Go to Gold coast basketball page on FB. Release is there with comments coming in.

Reply #370779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

couldnt prove that they werent going to avoid the same mistakes again apart from just giving their word ? couldnt figure out how to do a proposal apart from just giving their word ? sounds like karma then. some just arent meant to be involved in this game

Reply #370781 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Its all over twitter if you have doubts..

I am on BA/NBL's side on this. They are going to get the blame for the Blaze ownership sacking he who shall not be named and not paying him out.

Definitely not a good time to be in the NBL PR office ( do they even have one? )

OR it will get the 'Gold Coast ruin sporting teams' headline, which TBH is better for the league.

Get a team in Brisbane, ASAP.

Reply #370782 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I agree with alexkrad. I'm also with BA on this.

Some Blaze fans/former employees are saying BA told them they only needed to bank $200k guarantee but were told today they need the full $1mil.

Not sure why BA would say you only need $200k, what if they went under mid-season? Where would the other $800k come from?

Reply #370783 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Meers (maybe paraphrasing the Tomlinsons) has termed it "fighting BA" but I think GC were probably lucky to get in without an initial guarantee and after recent events, I think BA were right to put a few requirements in front of them too. If they were fighting anything, it was the ability to keep a basketball club up.

Not good for the Blaze fans or the league to take another hit, but probably the right decision overall.

Reply #370785 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I agree, definitely the right decision and I guess good on the owners to pull out now rather than wait the 2 weeks and say they cant make it, or say they can make it and then dont.

Feeling sorry for the Blaze fans, support staff and players.

Any Blaze fans out there, hopefully you can stay interested in the league still, It will be a good season with the league tighter now than ever, maybe get on the crocs or taipans train?

Reply #370786 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Bad news, I was personally hoping they'd stay alive it's never good to have a team out of the league and that's one less different match-up this season.

Fiscally probably the right decision, you have to be able to financially hold up. One would question though - how much time should a club be allowed to search for finances? Admittedly without providing the $1mill guarantee they didn't really deserve or buy themselves time. If it was the 36ers, I'd be fairly certain Adelaide would find owners if not within a few months, then the near future (greater than the time the Blaze had).

So, while trying to be sensitive - Gibson and Petrie to 36ers, how's that looking now?

Reply #370794 | Report this post

Blazefan  
Years ago

Here's the email I received tonight....

Media Release

It is with much regret that we announce that we have decided to withdraw our submission to Basketball Australia to be included in the 2012/13 NBL season.

We have been asked to provide further information and given an extension until 31 July 2012 to do so. We feel that we have already done enough to satisfy all requirements and the drawing out of this process has gone on long enough.

We are proud of the contribution we have made to basketball in South East Queensland over the past five seasons and we feel that the Blaze has contributed in a very meaningful way to the community.

The company administration period has been a terrible strain on our loyal coaches, players and staff and their families. They, along with our Pyromaniacs and Corporate Sponsors, have supported us throughout this difficult time and we deeply regret that we have had to make this decision.

We thank everyone for their unwavering support.

Owen Tomlinson

Director

Gold Coast Blaze
--------------

I'm less gutted than in 1996. Still, plenty crapped off. 5 years and a few thousand invested but all gone now. Pretty much lost for words.

While the 36ers are probably my least hated team and I'd love to see Peech and Gibbo land there, I can't say I'll remain a follower of the league.

Thanks Isaac for providing a great site. A little more civilised than OzH and very well moderated. Good luck with its future development.

Signing off for now.

Reply #370795 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Hang tough Blaze fan. We need the hardcore supporters to not dwindle off. Something good is around the corner mate...

Reply #370799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MOney "invested"? I am sorry I don't understand that bit. Were you an owner? A loyal fan, a sponsor?
Invested means to me at least you hope for a return. The Blaze have always over spent, and it's clear now how much they had overspent.
If you were anything other than an owner, your investement was in the hope that they would survive and win and have an enjoyable experience in doing so, nothing more.

Reply #370800 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I think most Blaze supporters will now pretty quickly jump on the Sixers bandwagon

Interesting week ahead :)

Reply #370850 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Wait a few days and it might become clearer if Statman is correct.

Reply #370855 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Welcome back to the sixers fold Statman :)

Seriously though feel for all you blaze fans :( not a great day

But probably for the first time in a long time looks like the nbl
Has grown a spine and enforced the rules.

Let's hope the players can find new homes

Reply #370856 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Another really sad day for NBL and basketball fans.
We have got to get some stability in this sport. Maybe this is the beginning.

Reply #370858 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Regardless of what they were told, If any team needs to have the full 1 million guarantee, it's a team that has gone into Administration in the off season. While I am sad to see them go, I do believe they should have to put up the full funds.

I don't think any of the players will have too much trouble finding new teams. The coaches on the other hand are left with a lot fewer options.

Reply #370861 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I'm with you bowtie, the GCB closing up shop is not good for the sport and the NBL comp.

The need for a Brisbane team must gather momentum.

Reply #370862 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

And the reasons for the moves the BA Board have made in recent months become all the clearer.

The reinvigoration of the NBL under the previous administration shows how much compromising LS had to do (not getting guarantees etc) in order to get it running at all.

How many more teams are precariously placed?

While critical of the way BA allowed this to drag on Friday the language of yesterdays release showed they wanted to make a very strong statement.

Reply #370868 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"We thought we were ready to enter the season, we thought we had the finances and we thought we were going to get the green light.

"Sadly, there are just too many hurdles that we are being made to jump. And we can't do it anymore.'
Said they'd started appointing staff before the submission was officially approved. Meers mentioned them being asked to provide the $1m guarantee when other clubs hadn't done so. Surely this off-season just been showed why the Blaze needed to have a guarantee in place?

Reply #370876 | Report this post

Nunyabizz  
Years ago

Club went downhill after Dave Claxton left. We need Clacker to start another GC franchise up again quick to save bball on the GC

Reply #370878 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Good lord
How do you think they spent so much money?
Who did the deal with j0yce?
Who was steering the ship when it was being directed to failure island?

Reply #370879 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I keep going to write something here, but then i delete it. I think i might wait a few months ;)

Reply #370880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Karma is a bitch! They screwed Joyce out of a lot of money he was owed and his own money he had spent to get it...

Reply #370881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So sick of this Joyce crap.

In this whole mess Joyce is the only one who wanted money for work he hadnt performed.

He was paid for 2 years coaching, and then terminated due to dissappointing results (amongst other things) He was offered and refused a payout in lieu of the remaining 2 years of his contract and then made the decision to try and sue the club for more money.
He gambled on being able to get a better result finaincially for himself than the payout ammount offered and lost.

There are now plenty of people - both staff/players and other creditors who have performed their duties in full and have not been payed for this completed work so to constantly hear people harping on about Joyce being so hard done by is a bit rich.

Reply #370884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is on the Blaze owners not the BA/NBL imo.

The NBL need to enforce all of their rules including the bank guarantee for all teams, no exceptions, especially a team that has basically screwed their former coach and placed itself in VA.

I congratulate the NBL for being strong, and hope it continues, for years some owners were able to bend the rules as they wished to the frustration of many, so its good to see them stand up to the owners at all costs, the leagues stance for me should be meet our rules/requirements or you are out, as no team is bigger than the league and unfair to other teams that have met the requirements, if they let some teams get away with not meeting the requirements, so well done NBL.

Reply #370885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It just goes to show that those owners who are/have been involved with the NBL don't have the pockets to keep putting money into teams.

You can cop losing money for a season, maybe two or three, but after that it's en exercise in futility.

Cairns and Woollongong have it right.

Reply #370886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blaze were never short on paying stupid expenses to the bets restaurants, hotels etc all these things add up...

Real shame for the league, instead of adding 2 more teams from Brisbane and melbourne in next few seasons and having every team play eachother 3 times in mini playoff series throughout the year, this has occurred. Hang in there NBL, free TV and some explosive imports away from regrouping.

And whats that fat Joe gonna do!? They have a Sizzler on the GC still? I cant remember if fat jokes are back in fashion or we are too politically correct to comment on obese people involved in pro sports anymore!?

Reply #370887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally and not being to close to the action, I feel the NBL have stood firm on an owner who seemed to do what they liked. Didn't think bj should sue but left a dirty taste in my mouth with the way Blaze went around the situation.

not morally ethical in my mind. Happy to see people like that out of the league without the $1m surety who was to say it wasn't going to happen again. rather them out before tip off than lurching from disaster to disaster throughout the season. It doesn't help the league. and it does send a warning shot across the other teams bows.

on the other side hope now we get petrie and gibson to adelaide. if the players are placed in other teams it can only strenghten the league

Reply #370888 | Report this post

Venom  
Years ago

Blaze has been a sorry and sad affair since VA broke out. The Joyce thing realistically had little to do with blowing $12mill and having squat at the end of it.

If you were BA, would you let 2 owners who blew that much in 5 years run a club that went into VA, screwed its staff/players (dont care about joyce) etc out of money owed and then pinky swear they will be viable on $1million revenue + $500k capital ?

Lets not just beat up Basketball, the NRL and AFL are both propping up loss making teams. Only 2 teams in the NRL are cash positive without NRL support and the AFL also supports the GC Suns, Lions and a few Melbourne based clubs. If not for the large TV deals, these leagues would also start contracting.

The whole world is changing to a more sustainable financial future ie. no debt, only spend what you can earn, the customer is your life line - treat them like family. Basketball Australia under KK (doesnt start till 4th Aug) will embrace the changes and get bigger when its viable and not through pea brained owners splashing cash and wondering why there is only $7k in the bank.

Reply #370889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont like Joyce much at all but a contract is a binding agreement! Dont sign players or coaches to long term agreements if there is a chance you want out after only a short time.

That sort of stuff happens all the time though... but a court of law found that he was owed the money!!! The karma part comes along when they put themselves into VA just to avoid having to pay a court ruling!

They lied to players and staff and misused the trust that BA put in them.

Reply #370894 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Should the Salary cap be reduced for a number of years until the NBL is thriving? I mean most of these guys earn reasonable money, enough to make a living. It's definitely not the ridiculous amounts the AFL teams are throwing around but it is sustainable.
In hindsight, would you rather see your team play week in and week out although lose most games like the Sixers or would you rather have no team to watch like the Queensland folk now?
F@ck it's a vicious cycle!

Reply #370895 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'894, not quite sure it's karma when the owners have ended up bailing from a venture which lost them money? "Haha, life's going to cost you less money now!" It is what it is.

Reply #370896 | Report this post

YeTi  
Years ago

2 really great posts here:

Skip with "If any team needs to have the full 1 million guarantee, it's a team that has gone into Administration in the off season." and Venom's post # 377089

Sport, meet economic realism - don't spend more than you earn.

Reply #370902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac - you're probably right but is it their fault that they lost money? Should they have flown injured players on road trips? should they have employed 3 assistant coaches? should they have given head coaches ridiculous contracts?

Reply #370911 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, definitely all on them but that isn't quite pure excess - extra coaches means extra jobs and opportunities as one example. Just don't see where karma comes in to play. Not like they are losing a money-making machine. NBL teams are more like charities in many ways.

Reply #370916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

another good point - you're right!

Reply #370924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL teams are more like charities in many ways.

Just not quite as big real estate portfolios as the religious ones ;)

Reply #370926 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sadly, too true. And it's a bit funny, because the tribalism of sport is sometimes not far off religious fervour!

Reply #370929 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

I agree with BA for not allowing them in.
They the Blaze came up with the capital and the 1 Million bond and were going to pay the NBL their 145k owed from the VA?
But they Blaze owners would not declare where the funds / capital were coming from?
Shows they faked the VA to avoid paying people and reduce their debts.
They woud do it again and it spelled out they could not be trusted!
Someone on this site said Joyce was offerered a payout of his remaining 2 years wages when he was sacked after taking them to finals in their first year and a tough year with a injury ridden second season.
lts common knowledge that it is totally untrue from people within the club. Thats why it went to court.
Basketball Australia just found out they could not be trusted and l cant believe they were considering leaving them in after faking a voluntary administration to reduce their debts to aruond 90 people on the Gold Coast
Cant believe this site supports such people with perfoming such a low act surely you dont support such an act Isaac.

Reply #370948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think I know what you are trying to say, but you seem to have mistaken the Tomlinsons for the Gold Coast Blaze when you talk about faking VA.

Reply #370953 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cant believe this site supports such people with perfoming such a low act surely you dont support such an act Isaac.
WTF?

Reply #370957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone on this site said j0yce was offerered a payout of his remaining 2 years wages when he was sacked after taking them to finals in their first year and a tough year with a injury ridden second season.

It's okay you can mention BJ led them to the wooden spoon in his second season, that signing a way past it Shane Heal was a disaster as was playing his son Daniel heavy minutes despite not being an NBL standard player.

Reply #370967 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/basketball/gold-coast-blaze-out-of-the-nbl-20120718-229by.html

Reply #370975 | Report this post

mcdonalds  
Years ago

why do you say J0yce and not joyce..?

Reply #370977 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Brendan makes legal threats about various things that aren't worth the hassle. One of them was about wanting me to ban the term "SoJ" (Son of Joyce) on Hoops - said he'd get the lawyers involved otherwise. Half funny, half sad.

Reply #370995 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I don't know why this hasn't been reported anywhere else.. But something else also happened today...

Another team folded...

The Gold Coast BLADES. Yes, Blades!
http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2012/s3548277.htm

RIP Blades.

Reply #371002 | Report this post

Hook Shot  
Years ago

" or would you rather have no team to watch like the Queensland folk now? "

Wow breaking news here!!

Cairns & T'ville have left the State".........

Reply #371013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can talk about not to be trusted James, it`s alright I`ll scratch your back you scratch mine. Surprised you got your mate to talk Sydney into taking you after your effort. I guess going from 180k odd a season to a development players wage is enough to make anyone a little bitter, enjoy your rookie contract haha. Make sure you don`t hurt yourself theres no bench time for you anymore.....straight out the door.

Reply #371046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha - Looks like a James has made some friends along the way as well

Guess that may happen when you align yourself with an ex coach and try to screw every cent possible out of the club...

will be interesting to see how he goes in Sydney - hope he doesnt punch any more walls - either in his hotel room or on the practice court

Reply #371069 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:11 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754