Isaac
Years ago

NBL statement on Blaze's withdrawal from league

Basketball Australia today confirmed that the ownership of the Gold Coast Blaze had taken the decision to withdraw from the National Basketball League.

After going into voluntary administration earlier this year, the club's owners were given until Friday 13 July 2012 to demonstrate they could meet all necessary licensing requirements - including financial terms.

The club’s owners proposed a community partnership model involving significant and necessary cost savings – which the BA Board strongly welcomed and supported in principle, pending confirmation of funding streams by the extended deadline of 31 July 2012.

However, late last night, the club’s owners advised Basketball Australia that they had decided to withdraw from the NBL.

"To be frank, this is hugely disappointing – it’s unfortunate for the club’s players and fans that the owners have made the decision to withdraw from the NBL," Acting Chief Executive Officer Scott Derwin said.

“Basketball Australia has been consistent in every step of this process as to what the requirements are for the Blaze to play in the 2012/13 NBL season – and we’ve done that to maintain the integrity of the league.

“The BA Board appreciates that the club’s owners have put in enormous effort to keep the Blaze alive under difficult circumstances, and we were extremely supportive of the community partnership model they proposed.

“But we make no apologies for insisting on tangible and detailed confirmation of funding streams or for holding the Blaze accountable to the same financial scrutiny applied to all of our NBL clubs.

“The Blaze had advised they had a $500,000 capital investment from a mystery supporter – but were unable to provide any further detail on the funding source or stream. There were also projected revenue lines from sponsors and other sources of over $1 million that could not be verified at this time and for which we requested further evidence by 31 July.

“Ultimately, a mystery funding source won’t cut it. Given the club’s recent financial uncertainty, it is not unreasonable to expect solid and detailed financial modelling.

“Despite reports to the contrary, BA and the NBL have been in continual contact with the club’s players, coach and staff to ensure their welfare.

“Naturally, we all would have preferred to see the Blaze in the NBL, but the reality is the club could only move forward with a viable and sustainable business model.”

Topic #28795 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

How the fixtures change?

Reply #370904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

from experience i would bet both sides have experienced frustration. ba with blaze for having not more than a plan in their head yet no $, and blaze with ba for being unreliable to deal with and a lack of consistency in adhering clhbs to their own rules. blaze had it too good for too long - no 2 ways about that

Reply #370905 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

New fixture will be released on Friday.

Reply #370906 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

The other story on the NBL website mentions games scheduled against the blaze will be played against other teams on the same date where possible. Or that is how it read to me anyway.

Reply #370908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Atleast its resolved now and everyone can move forward.

Im sure the players will all get jobs, Adelaide is after 3 of the 4 contracted players, Wortho is off to Europe and i have no doubt would easily pick up a NBL contract anytime he wants, Dillon should get another gig somewhere, so should be ok, i just hope they havnt lost any of their Blaze wages from previous weeks/months.

Coaches will probably find it tough to stay in NBL as all teams have there coaching groups, so they are the ones who miss out the most, will Wright head back to the US?

Then its the admin/management/support staff who lose out, i guess aslong as they have received all of there wages they should hopefully be able to get a job elsewhere non basketball.

So yea hopefully they can all get jobs elsewhere and none of the staff / players/coaches and their familys suffer, as that would be the biggest disaster.

Sad to see the Blaze go, but the right decision for NBL to stay tough and its hard to feel too sorry for the Owners from the outside looking in. I think its a case of thanks for putting in a team the last few years and what you have contributed (even if you dont agree with all their actions) but goodbye.

Reply #370910 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Isaac, is there a link to that article available?

I'm happy that the comment of "we make no apologies for..." was made. It shows some balls that people say the league doesn't have. If anyone wants to try and get their finance approved by not providing proof of income, then you'd be laughed out of the bank.

Reply #370912 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If it's not on the NBL site, then I don't know where else you'd find it. If you email me, I can forward the press release, but what you see is pretty much all of it.

'910, any lost wages are on the Blaze themselves, IMO. No doubt the owners who avoided paying the $1m guarantee did so through their own pressure on the league or could've set aside a fund themselves if it were important to them. All this stuff is part of the big risks and pressures of running a club.

I have a lot of sympathy for club owners because it is no walk in the park, but I don't love seeing complaints directed unfairly at the league on this stuff.

I noticed Hoare's partner gripe on Twitter about the lack of communication from the NBL/BA. BA had said they were in touch with players, coaches and staff during the process. She said something like "not with us"; hadn't Hoare retired before this Blaze-community-team thing started? I imagine that's what the league was referencing. Got a complaint about a lack of communication during Blaze going in to voluntary administration? Take it up with them and the administrators, surely?

Reply #370917 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Come on "The Situation" I have a "mystery" job that pays me $200k a year! That should be enough to get a bank to lend me some money!!! ;)

Reply #370919 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Isaac, I just wanted to show it to a few people to get them to STFU about BA being "unfair" to the Blaze. I'll just link to this page. Thanks.

I also saw that from Hoare's wife. I had to bite my tongue on that one.

Reply #370934 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Who the hell is Daniel Meers? Is he flat out in bed with the Tomlinsons. His reporting and bias towards the Blaze is amazing. Seems to me he is unable to report any 2 sides of the story and that the Tomlinson's are gods. Poor reporting and should be banned from talking about Basketball EVER again.

Reply #370938 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Jack Tomlinson just tweeted "Thank you Lebong James for helping me through such a trying time."

Now I know where "blaze" came from. No great loss.

Reply #370939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HOare and his wife were probably owed money like other Blaze players.
Losing $12million in 5 years isn't smart business and I am sure they new fully well months ago, that they were "broke" and didnt communicate that earlier.

Reply #370946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tomlinsons money is inherited from canada, so if you thought there were sound business skills there at any point over the past 5 years, youre sorely mistaken. the after effects of that spending have proved themselves today

Reply #370947 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

This is the right decision by BA!!!!

Derwin said, "The Blaze had advised they had a $500,000 capital investment from a mystery supporter - but were unable to provide any further detail on the funding source or stream. There were also projected revenue lines from sponsors and other sources of over $1 million that could not be verified at this time and for which we requested further evidence by 31 July.

“Ultimately, a mystery funding source won't cut it. Given the club’s recent financial uncertainty, it is not unreasonable to expect solid and detailed financial modelling.

How were they the Tomlinsons able to obtain such funds in a short time after going into VA?
This has been a scam to reduce their debt to people on the Gold Coast
They got exposed by BA and it has back fired
I feel really sorry for the people on the Gold Coast that are owed money including Joyce that was proven by the courts to unfairly dismissed and players like Hoare, Harvey etc
The NBL does not need owner as such.
I thinks it is time Isaac that you gave theseBlaze people no more airplay on your site for what they done to a lot of good people.
Good Riddens to the dishonesty

Reply #370949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good riddance to dishonesty ? im afraid young man that if you want to eradicate dishonesty, at the same time you will have to rid yourself of the bumbling conundrum that is the nbl / ba at the same time. still sounds easy ? now you understand a fraction of what has occurred before you in other parts of the country

Reply #370954 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'946, I imagine BA/NBL were referring to Blaze's attempts to stay in the league. Hoare had retired by then. His money beef is with the Blaze.

---

Peter, what airplay do you think the Blaze owners have been given here? Fans like you or I are discussing the situation, nothing more. If you're looking for airplay, you might be thinking of goldcoast.com.au.

I don't know why you changed name and email after posting and referencing me in the other thread. I can tell it's coming from the same computer.

Reply #370956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel sorry for the players because once again the NBL takes a back seat to BA who clearly isnt getting the message across to owners who buy a NBL team that they must have a 5 year plan and expect ZERO assistance from BA apart from collecting their annaul license fee!

Owners these days let there egos get the best of them and think its easy to run a NBL team compared to their million dollar corporate company. Basketball or any other sporting team is very different arena!

Unfortunately, BA is controlling the NBL for its own politcal gain and therefore the NBL will continue to lose its sporting identity not having a face thats represent the NBL!

Kristina Keanally good looks just isnt going to cut it despite her speaking as if she know all about basketall in australia.

Your thoughts??

Reply #370971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, losing that amount of money in 5 years is obscene. if they want to throw it away fine, I don't have a problem with that but at the ned of the day they would have known exactly what they were doing. Players were owed money and that has transpired clearly over week if not months.
I guees that is the point made by Mrs H.
Clearly they decided enough was enough and rather than fold during the season they decided VA at season's end.
The point of the $1mill surety was not to prevent what occurred at season's end but to assist in a mid season failure as previously has occurred.
Knowing they didn't pay the $1mill deposit, was good enough reason to keep trading. Knowing fully well that at season's the game was over.
Communicating that, would never have happened at player level. Of course some don't get paid. Super too? Who knows.
All in all mystery investots, magical $1mill revenues, no $1mill surety just isn't good enough. Previous form indictes dodginess at it's best and we don't need to go into the BJ debacle.

Reply #370972 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Sorry for the players/admin/fans but its the right decision. With how unstable the league has been at times you just have to get that security of $$$.

Reply #370988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wish there was a like button on this site with some of the comments that have been posted on these blaze threads..

Reply #370990 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

any effect on tv deal?

Reply #370994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"any effect on tv deal?"

No more JVG cameos? Seriously though I wouldn't have thought so.

Reply #371007 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Tyrell, I asked this same question in one of the earlier threads. The AFL TV deal is predicated on the AFL having 9 games a week (except split round) so 18 teams is mandatory.

I wonder if there is some implication for BA in not having 9 teams, therefore less games per round.

Reply #371019 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Can you explain, in the context of accepting the decision by Gold Coast not to play, and imposing the conditions they did, what this means?

"Unfortunately, BA is controlling the NBL for its own politcal gain and therefore the NBL will continue to lose its sporting identity not having a face thats represent the NBL!"

How, in context, is this BA controlling the NBL for political gain?

Reply #371021 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Can anyone explain why NBLPA had no tweet between 6th and 17th July? I can also add they had no contact with the players involved, along with BA who said they were in constant contact with them. Petrie has said "no contact with anyone official" and he confirmed that on radio.
Altho Hoare and Harvey were no longed contracted, they had their creditor pay out at stake here and must be wondering if that will now fall flat.I agree with Mrs H having an interest still.
Will those cheques still be paid to creditors? No one seems to know. If they are not, club just goes into liquidation?

Reply #371033 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Who's blaming who for no contact here?

Players blaming BA for no contact? I'm not 100% sure when it comes to a business going into VA, but shouldn't it have been the Tomlinson's responsibility to keep players, staff, coaches etc in the know, before it comes public knowledge?

Oh & the posts about going to the bank to get a loan without proving your job or income - pretty much spot on.

Reply #371071 | Report this post

bowtie  
Years ago

Ageed, especially the 3 players still hanging around, but BA insist they kept them in close contact regardless whose responsibility it was.
A liitle porky pie?

Reply #371169 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:02 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754