SRT070
Years ago

Sixers Pick Up Petrie and Gibbo

sounds like the club is going to announce it officially shortly but Gibbo and Petrie should be on their way to the sixers

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-set-to-sign-gold-coast-pair-adam-gibson-and-anthony-petrie/story-fndekpx4-1226429377065

go the Adelaide Blaze!

Topic #28800 | Report this topic

Very Old  
Years ago

So - its seams that the 2012/13 COTY award is going to go to the 36ers for the largest turn-around in placings in consecutive seasons ?

We should be expecting to go one better than Buckle achieved with the Lightning last season and actually win the GF series after competing for the wooden spoon the season before. (?)

Reply #371008 | Report this post

Hook Shot  
Years ago

You couldn't win with Lebron. As long as McFly is coaching you are doomed.

Reply #371011 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

The big loser will be Dillon. Once again he's paying the price for leaving Cairns after they through him a lifeline!

Reply #371024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Considering Gold Coast was one of seven clubs which stood firm to save an NBL-in-crisis three years ago, it was an ordinary effort by the game's ruling body."

Really Boti.... Really??

Reply #371036 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Marty will get absolutely no production out of Petrie. Great pickups though.

Before this I had Adelaide in the bottom half of the ladder but should put together a decent season now.

Reply #371038 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Hopefully both would be at least 2 year deals. It would be good to keep the same group together for more than 1 year. Especially knowing that Schensch, DJ, Creek and Cadee are all on board for at least 2 years.

Reply #371040 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

Adelaide Blaze are the team to beat for the new season

Reply #371041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Win win for 6ers fans. If they do well great, if they dont, then Marty and radford are gone at seasons end. How could this roster not have consistent success at full strength??? Yet i just cant picture a world where Marty Clarke coaches a basketball team in the NBL to a winning record.... yes he's been just that good in his previous 2 that after all the recruiting im still quite skeptical.

Reply #371042 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

How do you figure that Mick? Peach would have to be one of the hardest working players there is who will just put his head down and do whatever is required to help the team win. Rebounding, defence, diving on loose balls, putting his body on the line and physically standing up to the opposition.
Hes exactly what Marty has been lacking in the last 2 seasons and will be a standout for you.

Reply #371047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He isnt all Marty has been lacking in the last 2 years, if that were the case, there are a billion 'under skilled make it up with effort' guys out there. Petrie wont be the worst player out this season, but he is a 15minute guy, relieving minutes for your scoring defensive matchup nightmare studs. Imports will be key now, if they get a game breaker, then this team will be destined to do great things, and be deep. Interesting to see how Gibson goes too, havent been impressed from his consistency last few seasons, Adelaide fans will rip him if he doesnt play the right way night in night out.

Reply #371048 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They won't be able to afford stud imports on top of these two.

Statman, Mick is not an Adelaide fan - Townsville I think.

Reply #371049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would u guys put on the starting 5? Also how would they match up 2 the starting five's around the league? Intresting line up the adelaide blaze have got? U don't have 2 get big names 2 make the roster u need players 2 work 4 each other and for the team. Gibo should've gone 2 tigers or been a franchise player n build the team around him

Reply #371050 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

With only 13 points remaining, it would only be 1 import if any.

Reply #371051 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Re: Dillon. He has already committed to a new team.

Reply #371052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we have the money id go for a import guard (shooter/scorer) and a young big (opacic), even if the import is a SEABl/NZ import who comes off the bench.

Gives us 1 import spot as insurance, and a very deep/versatile team imo.

Reply #371054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh wow didnt realize the import situation or lack there of. That sucks, as a fan i love the imports, always added some flare. Im definitely not sold on these signings considering it has cut out the import options. Ive got my season tickets and im sure itll be better than its been,but this team had potential to recruit to become an instant contender, may push for 4th now. But wont cause any noise in Peth and NZ when it comes playoff time.

Reply #371055 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

No import options for this next season's coaches to screw up ?? - either in the choice or the coaching ??? ---- absolutely bonzer outcome I would think.

Means we may be able to save up for a better coach in the following season.

Well done to Leanne Grantham as the CEO, I wonder if we can count on her stepping in as a temporary coach in round 7 when we have not won a game - and then coaching the team to the GF ?

Nb : I recognize that I will need to admit the error of my ways if the Tassie twins actually do a passable job this season - there again I can see Weigh getting 38 mins a night again, and Radford telling Gibbo that in his view he's too much of a pussy to be any good in this league.

Reply #371057 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

natwhereyouat.....who has Dillon committed too? I'm guessing Townsville?

Reply #371058 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Tassie twins" - gold, very old

Reply #371060 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon #371055...I think we will do better than 4th if we can stay healthy and the coaches can coach properly.

Adding Gibbo and Petrie gives us a known commodity as opposed to shots in the dark at imports. Not to mention that they round out our roster nicely giving it a lot of versatility.

If we continue to see improvement in guys like Creek and DJ, even Cadee although he hasnt played for us previously and you add in some good seasoned campaigners like Schensch and Gibbo along with the savvy vet in Crossy and the hustling big in Petrie you have a pretty good line up with some depth. You will see an improvement from Weigh this season too, we know he has all of the tools to be a better than good player and not being relied upon to shoulder the bulk of the workload this season should only benefit himself and the team.

Gibbo gives you versatility in the back court, defense and potentially that go to shooter and Petrie gives you an answer to players like Vukona for example

I agree imports are exciting and dynamic but they can also be the opposite. You should be excited about this seasons Sixers team regardless of the lack of imports.....I think most Sixer fans would be?!

Reply #371062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very old so when the team sucks and recruits nobodies its the coaches fault but when they recruit someone you like its the CEO?

Reply #371063 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

So can anyone summarise exactly who has signed with the Sixers thus far? and what the team looks like?

Reply #371064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers players who are signed

Schenscher
Johnson
Weigh
Creek
Crosswell
Cadee

If you add in the Gibson and Petrie rumour our squad looks like

Schenscher/??
Johnson/Petrie
Weigh/Creek
Gibson/??
Cadee/Crosswell

We have 2 spots and 13 points remaining, so could potentially add a import and a 3 point college returnee i guess.

Reply #371066 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

An shooter/scorer would be nice to have I think. Farley like! :-)

Reply #371067 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It's a shame there's no veteran rule in the NBL.

It would be handy to have Ng in that team somewhere.

Reply #371068 | Report this post

for the fans  
Years ago

With a team like that, why not bring Farley in off the bench!
Would be an exciting,well priced import,great team guy and fan favourite....

Obviously he is not going to be a starting import on big $ anymore, but he can still ball

Reply #371072 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Ooops

Reply #371073 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@ Statman: I love Petrie, but I can just imagine Clarke consistantly taking him out of the game at the most inopportune moments.

Reply #371074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not convinced we need an import unless management think it is necessary to get bums on seats. I think a cheap big, perhaps a Pero type but i think any spare cash and points should be directed to the guard spots.

My other concern is if we are loading up on good locals and want a gun import is how are minutes managed for games. To me it might be a potential issue in managing the expectations of the new signings as well as the development of players such as Creek and Cadee.

Nevertheless this is not necessarily a bad position to be in!

Reply #371076 | Report this post

lukn4atitle  
Years ago

Its Farley unlikly he will be signed I hear !

Reply #371077 | Report this post

lukn4atitle  
Years ago

oops Unlikely correct spelling

Reply #371078 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

hi

(allegedly) Anonymous
10:31 19 Jul 12

AKA Mark's Mum

I actually think your son has truly lived up to his potential - his work developing Sam Harris in WA ans SA, and the unbelievable NBL season the sixers had after the preseason where he took the guys down to Tassie (http://www.theadvocate.com.au/news/local/sport/general/radford-to-return-to-coast-with-36ers/2271356.aspx) just speaks for itself. He has really showed his home state just how easy it is to make good here on the mainland.

Unfortunately due to rule 14 of the internet I cannot specifically refer to your post - but it was great to hear from you from all they down there in Tassie - aren't those new dial-up modems wonderful ?

Reply #371081 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great pick ups! No excuses this coming season for a semi final at least...

Reply #371087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IF this happens not quite sold the 36ers are a legit contender yet. Petrie is bascially a mini-DJ and I think we still need a back to the basket type if/when Schenscher goes down injured.

If we were able to get that and a gun shooter (Ng) for back up SG that would be a serious championship contender for mine.

Reply #371089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea exactly, very good pick ups, credit to the coaching staff but id say its playoffs or bust this season for the coaches.

Id like to see the 36ers give a SEABL/NZBL import a go, probably a sg/sf like a CJ Masssingale, Ismail Muhammmed, Josh Pace, or any others of a similar level who i cant think of right now, be a good opportunity to find a diamond in the rough and give one of these guys a go, at worst they come off the bench for around 10 mins per game and are as good as an average aussie, at best the prove themselves earn extra mins and become stars, not a whole lot to lose imo, given we have Gibson, Crosswell, Cadee who can pretty much hold down the guard spots alone if the import is a bust.

Reply #371090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't mind picking up an athletic player, whether that is an import or not.

Reply #371094 | Report this post

TigerBoy  
Years ago

Orbit, yeah they gave him a 'lifeline' but you obviously have no idea of the reason for his leavings. Youre probably the one that thinks Ubaka and Dorsey also just snubbed the club aswell. If you dont know, dont post.

Reply #371095 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Anon #371090....CJ Massingale is a combo pg/sg but I think now would be a good time to throw him a lifeline and see what he can do. Would be a cheap option and someone who is determined to prove himself at a higher level so will work hard and is also familiar wit the Aussie style of basketball.

Failing that I wouldnt mind seeing them give someone like Ben Richmond from the AIS a go as the back up SG.

Reply #371096 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

I'll be happier when I see confirmation from the Sixers organisation that they are signed.

Their signings will certainly put both Clarke and Radford's contributions under the spotlight. I think it reasonable to suggest their careers as NBL coaches depend on how quickly they can get the squad playing at their best.

That's some challenge when you consider the best teams in the league have generally been those who have kept their core personnel together over a couple of seasons and then added a "missing piece" to compete or win the Finals.

If memory serves correct, this will be at least the fourth season in succession that the Sixers will start the season with a rebuilt team.

@Statman; would you agree that your description of Petrie's play is similar to that of Jacob Holmes, just for a more expensive fee?

Reply #371098 | Report this post

Muzz buzz  
Years ago

Starters

Cadee
Gibson
DJ
Schensch

only ? is the 3 spot but you would think Weigh / Creek get that slot

Bench could be

Crosswell
Creek
Weigh
Petrie
?

as has been said there is only 13 points left to go so we could go down the path of an import and a 3 point player

Iti is 3 and would be a reasonable cheap big off the bench / towel waiver

So my team is

Cadee
Gibson
Stud Import 2/3/4 ( Rose mold)
DJ
Schensch
Crosswell
Creek
Weigh
Petrie
Iti

I wouldn't mind seeing a Trey Gilder type either long with inside / outside game. The key for this guy is being able to to D up multiple positions

I also think the money it has taken to get Gibbo may necessitate no import at all at seasons start with a game changer big ticket brought in around January to close out the season.

Reply #371099 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

If Gibson is signed I'd start him at the 1 and sign an import 2. I personally have never been a fan of the "all-Aussie" team and feel that a high flying import in the Farley mould (not Farley of course but a younger guy who is Farley-esque) would be not only great for marketing, but it would make a perfect fit for the team.

Starting 5

Gibson
Import
Weigh (Creek as a slasher would fit better with the second unit)
DJ
Schensher

Bench

Cadee
Croswell
Petrie

Short one man to have a reasonable rotation. Not really sure that it will be a world beating team but I think they'll be competitive. If Marty Clarke tries to coach too much and not let them play on offense this team will struggle though.

Reply #371103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any news on development players?

Reply #371104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with Chewy on playing Gibson (If we do in fact get him) at the one and signing and import 2 guard.
Cadee can play back up point and Croswell is capable of playing the 2 (he did at times last year?)

Also, their is no question Weigh is our starting 3. Gets a lot of slack.

Reply #371107 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Crosswell never played the 2 last year.....he played the point while Warren played as the SG.

Also, there wouldnt be enough money for a stud import unless their is an injury to one of Gibbo, Shensch or DJ so you would be better off considering more of a budget import at this point.

I'd give Cadee the reigns at the point and see how he goes and use Gibbo (who can also carry the ball) in the SG role and then have them backed up by Crossy and a budget import ala Massingale.

Reply #371112 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

good signings, you've just got to get the Blaze and the Sixers to gel now. Who's getting the wooden spoon this year now that the Sixers will be challenging for a playoff spot (something really wrong if this squad doesn't)?

Reply #371113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont mind the Trey Gilder suggestion if cheap, was a long athletic player, could defend, shoot the 3 (was very streaky) and could be very handy off the bench and with his athleticism could provide some good highlights at times. Id either get that style of player or a guard who can score/shoot (Farley/Ere) mould, but i doubt we have heaps of cap space left so would have to be on the cheap side.

I dont mind the import coming off the bench and starting Cadee and Gibson, ultimatly i would weight the minutes and starting spots on form as the season goes on.

This would give us a depth chart of something like

C Schenscher (30)/Johnson (10)
PF Johnson (20)/Petrie (20)
SF Weigh (20)/Creek (20)
SG Gibson (20)/IMPORT (20)
PG Cadee (20)/Gibson (10)/Crosswell (10)

So we dont neccisarily need a Gilder type athletic versatile import, but to me it wouldnt be a bad idea as could create some match up problems and gives us versatility if an injury occurs during the season.

Reply #371115 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

I think Andrew Warren could be a good pick up, he is a shooter and I think he would be fairly cheap.

Reply #371116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep i also like the Andrew Warren suggestion, was also a half decent defender from memory, also young like the rest of the team, and is a NBL proven player which is another bonus imo.

Reply #371117 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

Tornado, why would you want to start Cadee and Gibson in the backcourt? Gibson is not a 2, he's a 1. On top of that, Cadee was given limited minutes at the Gold Coast and now suddenly you think he's good enough to start whilst taking arguably the best Australian 1 right now in the NBL (Gibson) out of position? Makes perfect sense....

Reply #371118 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Yes if pull off will be great team BUT will Marty stuff up the team that is the big question with his court control and bad subbing etc.
I personally be extremely disappointed if we did not have 1 import to create some excitement in team and extra scoring potential.
How many points is NG at if we wanted him to return.

Reply #371120 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Big Ads - Kind of agree with you there. Ive always been a big fan of Holmes and his no frills game but IMO Peach is a class above. Bigger body and can score with a lot more consistency from midrange.

A lot of people forget that before he tore his achilles 2 seasons ago he was fringe Boomers and really was at the top of his game. Sure the inhury slowed him somewhat but with a years rehab behind him and then lst season getting back into the groove this season should see him surprise a lot of people with what he will bring to the team.

Reply #371121 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

You need two ballhandlers on court, so whether you call Gibson or Cadee the 1 or 2 it looks like they will be starting together. If they could get Warren that would make one hell of a deep team, and you know Drew loves the AA rims!

Reply #371123 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

yeah i agree you would run with cadee and gibbo, both can handle the ball, crosswell for back up mins and add another guard. have to say i do really like this team if they do sign.

schensch gives us a big around the post, dj some super scoring punch, petrie for a good all rounder. who has players that can defend schensch in the paint and contain johnson on offense? in the past they just used to burn us the other way with dj but you add petrie and that takes that away from them.

we could go

schensch / young dev big

dj/ petrie

weigh/creek

gibson / and add ng

cadee/crosswell

or i guess go the import route.

i like the suggestion of going a very good 3 pt shooter import though. that team has 3 talls who can all score in the paint, teams will love to collapse on us if we look weak from 3pt range. weigh and creek mid-range players more than anything. add a dangerous 3 pt shooter and that will give some others some real space as they try to lock down inside and our 3pt threat.

Reply #371124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt Cadee will start...if he does it will not be for long. Id say they will get a cheap import - be it Massingale, Muhammed, Warren or someone like that.

Jazzmar Ferguson playing some great ball in the SEABL...but is a PG

Reply #371130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd like to see us go with the model Perth ran with on occasion. Leave the import option open until later in the season.

this serves 2 purposes.
1. i'd rather a high quality import for half a season, than an average one for the whole season that'll sit on the bench or get cut.
2. if someone happens to get injured long term (like ballinger and crosswell last year) we have an option to fill a spot that needs filling.

i think the squad they currently have, with even Ng off the bench as the other guard is good enough to make playoffs. the lateish season import could be enough to make them a championship team.

Reply #371137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jazz is a quality PG and is looking to stay in Australia after only 1 season of SEABL.

Reply #371149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee is starter leveland gibbo is a 2 guard for boomers.

They will start together.

Reply #371154 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Well for the first time in at least a decade the Sixers actually have a talent laden team. It is definitely Marty's make or break season coming up!

If true, I LOVE the fact we got Petrie as well as Gibson. If he returns to his pre-achilles form (which he should) Petrie will be a massive boost to the Sixers frontcourt.

On Gibbo, I agree with Tornado in that I think he is more of a two guard than a real point. Having said that, if the Sixers could somehow afford an import athletic two guard, I'd be all for Gibbo starting at the point - I just don't think the Sixers will be able to afford much with all the Aussie talent they've added.

This team still lacks good outside shooting and slashing ability and there will be some question marks about how effectively Big Red and DJ can co-exist on court.

But on the flip side we have two dominant post presences we can rely on for points and a backcourt that should be much improved defensively.

Those two things should ensure a much better season for the Sixers.

MARTY: Its top 3 or bust buddy!

Reply #371155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TigerBoy - Dillon, Ubaka and Dorsey all turned their backs on the Pans for more money, plain and simple.

I didn't say this at the time, but we certainly owe the Tigers a big thankyou for helping make us a much stronger team by not having them around anymore.

Goodbye and good riddance.

Reply #371162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just don't get the love affair on this forum for CJ Massingale, the guy plays only 1 end of the floor (very selfishly) and couldn't guard his own shadow. Would be a bust at NBL level. Other than Redhage and Mike Kelly and to a very lesser extent Lowry and Gruber not many SEABL players have made the jump and delivered.

Reply #371168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee is starter leveland gibbo is a 2 guard for boomers.

They will start together.

Reply #371172 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Chewy 316, There are a number of reasons why I would start Cadee at the point and Gibbo at the 2.

1. Cadee came here for more opportunity and has the potential, so with the experience he will now have around him (Gibbo as backcourt help and Crossy as his mentor/backup) now is the time to give him his chance and let him develop/flourish under their guidance.
2. Gibbo is more of a combo guard and more than capable of playing the 2 spot. Gibbo played the 2 for the Blaze last year and currently runs as a 2 for the Boomers.
3. After these aquisitions the Sixers wont have the money to get a SG import that will be better than Gibbo in that position.
4. With a starting line up of Schensch, DJ, Weigh, Gibbo and Cadee, Cadee can focus on running the offense and not having to score.

I could go on but I think that is enough reasons why...

Reply #371181 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

This team still needs an import with experience absolutely no question in my mind. Its nearly there as far as a roster goes but not complete enough to cause any issues for more experienced playoff teams when it matters most. The idea of using an import spot half way through the season etc isnt going to work, the way Clarke coaches, its so rigid and robotic style, the import just wont find time to settle before a playoff birth. Has the club made any further comments or hints at who will fill the last spots?

Reply #371182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good riddance to a group of Taipan players that got you guys to game 3 of a title?? Sounds like sour grapes, cant be angry at professionals in any job type for wanting to earn more money.

Reply #371184 | Report this post

Muzz buzz  
Years ago

Cmon Nino

Who has a better centre in the league than Schensch
DJ was one of the best bigs in the league last season
Gibbo is a Boomer
Cadee has huge upside
Weigh will hopefully be injury free this season and perform to his capacity

V Perth

Schesnch > Knight
DJ > Wagstaff
Weigh < Redhage
Gibbo > Lisch due to not being an import
Cadee< Martin right now

Crosswell > Robbins
Creek =Bartlett
Petrie > Tovey
they also have hire and trueman v our non filled spots yet

V NZ

Schensch > Pledger
DJ>Hudson
Weigh < Abercrombie
Gibbo > Corletto
Cadee < import PG

Crosswell = CJ ( Croswell can still do more than just hit 3's)
Petrie < Vukona
Creek > Boucher

The way i see it is, on paper, we are as good if not better in our main 8 already plus the potential of an import to come

Cant see why you wouldnt be excited about that

Reply #371186 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Muzz buzz,

I don't disagree with any of those player assessments, but the key is how these guys all play TOGETHER. NZ and Perth have functioned superbly as a team for the past few seasons. This is what Adelaide needs to replicate.

Over to you Marty.

Reply #371189 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

+1 Muzz Buzz

Reply #371190 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think you are being a bit generous in those comparisons, I doubt Perth or NZ would make any direct positional trades with Adelaide if offered. But certainly it is a team with playoff potential, and if they can be at the same level as Perth and NZ they will be doing very well and a championship threat.

Reply #371191 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Im not saying im not excited, compared to the last few seasons rosters, this one will be good and ill support like usual no do doubt. But like Mutley said the key is how will they gel. the Perth's and Nz's of the league have played together for a long run now and they tick over like a well oiled machine. If we are going to throw something new for them to challenge, i believe that 6ers roster will still need a experienced style import. Not the average trying to make a name for myself, get the stats head to the D-League guy, but veteran been there done that style player.

Point is, this is a good team, and the recruiting is some of the best ive seen in years, BUT the team has been so poor that this recruiting thus far wont be enough to get over the hump. Happy to be wrong, but probably one more piece away.

Reply #371194 | Report this post

TigerBoy  
Years ago

Anonymous, it's not as plain and simple as that, you think you know the ins and outs of it but you don't. THATS plain and simple.

Reply #371197 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Was chatting with a mate the other day trying to guess the top 4

NZ and Perth are locks we also thought that Sydney , Gong and Melbourne would be out of the top 4

Cairns are the mystery team every year and with Trigger should be in the mix. We resolved was Cairns and 36ers will be top 4 potentially dependent on the Crocs imports

Reply #371200 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I reckon both Perth and NZ will slide a bit this year....will still be top 4 but wont be as dominant as they have been the past couple of seasons.

Reply #371201 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Schenscher is not the best Centre in the league

Reply #371227 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

so who is then Mystro

Reply #371228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TigerBoy is the one trying to convince himself that they wanted to play for the Tigers/Stacker and weren't simply chasing the money. Just call it what is is 'Payday'.

I don't blame them for chasing more money, I just find it funny how it ended up for all three of them.

One ended up playing for less money on a bottom of the ladder team; another hasn't got a gig yet for this year after not being able to get out of his Tigers contract fast enough; and the only one currently contracted to an NBL team gets to call the basketcase Tigers home for the first few weeks of the new season before he is the first import sent packing. At least they all got paid well.

Reply #371230 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

I don't think Dorsey was offered a contract by the Taipans. He was told he was wanted but it was dependant on Dillon signing first. When this didn't happen he was told the Taipans would have to first see how the they went in filling some of the vacant spots left on the roster, before they could decide if Dorsey was still the right fit for them.

From memory, not long after that Dorsey signed with the Tigers. As it turned out, Fearne recruited Brad Hill (there were no decent SG options from what I remember) which meant the Taipans now required a SG import anyway and they then recruited Andrew Warren.

I don't think Fearne was pissed off with Dorsey as he understood he was placed in a difficult situation.

Reply #371244 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

BJF, it was Khazzouh. it's up for grabs this season but it won't be Schenscher, he's def not the worst either but lets not get carried away.

Reply #371256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was Wilkinson last year, then Tragardh and Khazzouh next up. Khazzouh was the best the year before. Next season it will be Matt Knight if he stays fit.

Reply #371259 | Report this post

Muzz buzz  
Years ago

Mysto , So you want to compare luke to players who aren't in the league. Douche

Centres who are in the league

Davidson
Burston
Tragardh
Knight
Cross white
Hinder
Pledger

Which one of those players is better than schensch at both ends of the floor and why?

Reply #371261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knight. Much more mobile on defence and can score both inside and out on offence. Both he and Luke havent shown their best all the time because of injury.

There are also import centres coming for Cairns and Melbourne and it will be interesting to see how Pledger goes this year. He certainly had a good battle with Schenscher in last year's playoffs. Crosswhite has also had pretty even battles with Luke the past two years.

The centre position is very even, as it was last year apart from Wilkinson who showed his class in the end.

Reply #371266 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Muzz Buzz, are you 12? do you want to play name calling games?
This is a forum and is based on opinion so every now and then you will need to pull your head out of your ass, STFU, take a deep breath and take someone else's into consideration.

Schensher is a 7ft pussycat with offense and a reasonably good passing game. I realize that this is an Adelaide Forum but you don't need to exaggerate every player signed as the "best" in the league lmao

I agree with anon about Knight/Pledger

Reply #371273 | Report this post

Muzz buzz  
Years ago

Go back and read what I wrote.
Did I say he is the best in the league
You brought up a guy who doesn't play in the NBL and claimed he isn't the best without offering who is in your opinion.
For the record Knight isn't a centre but plays that spot for Perth as it suits their style right now. When he played with jk in Sydney he was the 4. Just like he was when Perth won the title with luke.
No doubt he is more mobile because he is 6'9 not 7'2. Just like Magic was more mobile than Kareem
The fact that he has played in a final 4 game and in the nba which no one else on the list I offered has, suggests he may be a cut above. Which other player in that list has had a 30/20 game?

Reply #371274 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Muzz are you suggesting Knights played on that championship Perth team in 2010? I don't recall him joining the team until the following season, but nevertheless I believe your point is valid, Knights is a 4 man, however he also possess the capability to play the 5 spot if necessary.

Reply #371275 | Report this post

Muzz buzz  
Years ago

Bugga me you are right. Young/ redhage was the 4 in that team. My point still stands that knight is a 4 being made to play 5 ala Ballinger

Reply #371278 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

has this been made official yet?

Reply #371281 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

Don't know about Petrie, but I understand Gibbo and club just need to come to an agreement on one last matter (but an important one nevertheless).

Reply #371283 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

How many minutes he's guaranteed to play?

Reply #371286 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Saw one game , last season , he didn't score.
Still , if ya play 30 odd minutes , you'll getta a few.
Law of averages.
Weigh .

Reply #371290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with anon about Knight/Pledger

Pledger's not in Schenscher's category but Knight is. With the departure of Khazzouh I'd have Schenscher as the #1 centre in the league.

Reply #371297 | Report this post

Hook Shot  
Years ago

Back on topic girls!

Reply #371323 | Report this post

Tassie  
Years ago

Gibbo and Petrie both want a coaches clause .

Reply #371325 | Report this post

Pauline  
Years ago

Please explain

Reply #371335 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

It may mean , if we change coaches , they leave us .

Reply #371337 | Report this post

Tassie  
Years ago

They just want the option so they are not stuck with some dud.

Reply #371338 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

I don't want to get to excited considering these two haven't even signed yet!
Stranger things have happened!!!!

Reply #371445 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Well , if Adam Gibson wants a change a coach clause in his contract , the 36ers should apply ;
Wheaton's law .

Reply #371447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does he want a change a coach clause or an option if the club changes the coach? If that gets him to sign long term why not go or it? If youre changing coach you want someone your better players respect anyway.

Reply #371451 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Yeah, I dont see why a coach clause would be a problem. It's been done before and isnt an uncommon request.

Reply #371453 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

If we make finals , you'd wanna keep everbody.
If we don't , you'd change Clarke Radford Weigh Crosswell and Gibson Petrie may wanna leave.

Reply #371459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Signings were mentioned on channel 10 news tonight...announcement to confirm it all by the end of the week. Said they'll run with all Aussie line up

Reply #371519 | Report this post

Shano  
Years ago

Sounds good but an all Aussie line up has never won it all.. I like the excitement and x factor a good import brings, it's a solid lineup but not one with an excitement machine. Unless you count weigh.I

Reply #371551 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Shano, do you know the ratio of all-Aussie lineups to those with at least one import?

The Pigs making the grand-final was mentioned as a fairly successful all-Aussie team on Twitter.

Reply #371613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Issac, What year did the Razorbacks field an all-aussie team that made the GF?

I remember in either '02 or '05 Phil Handy was one of their imports at least.

Reply #371622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry '02 and '04.

Just checked Phil Handy was on the '02 GF team against the 36ers but they did indeed have an all-aussie team when they lost to the Kings in the '04 GF.

Sam MacKinnon, Simon Dwight, John Rillie, Russell Hinder, Steven Markovic, Scott McGregor, Aaron Trahair, Jon Croft, David Pennisi, Brad Williams.

Development players: Matthew Conacher, Goran Veg, Robert McKinlay.

Reply #371624 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yep, that's the one. What we're missing from that team is Rillie. A lot of the roster can hit from outside at some moderate percentage, but you wouldn't be trusting anyone to go on a big streak of threes like Rillie, Phill Jones, Ng, Bruton, Lisch etc could do.

I don't think all-Aussie teams have even been that common, thus the wonderings whether we should even expect an array of all-Aussie championship teams in the history books.

Certainly the trend is towards less reliance on imports and broader point guard options,which we'll definitely have this year. Reason to have some confidence, but obviously anything could happen.

Reply #371630 | Report this post

Shano  
Years ago

Good point. I guess I just like the mystery of an import. The Darnell,KB or Willie factor. Not the mccurdy English or Tyndale type.

Reply #371640 | Report this post

mungo  
Years ago

id go: schencher 20, college returnee 5/ johnson 30, petrie 25/ weigh 20, creek 15/ gibson 30, import 20/ cadee 20, croswell 15. import could be warren who was at cairns last season 3pnt specialist and cheap? i like my spread of minutes also with a few guys playing a few positions. who will be our 11th man? should have a local outside wing type player with length.

Reply #371675 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:03 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754