BJF
Years ago

Gibson officially signs with 36ers

1 year deal plus option

Finals here we come

Topic #28855 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Formidable Olympic guard Adam Gibson has been signed by the Club for iiNet NBL season 2012/13 with an option for another season.
Great. We've needed an experienced, defensive guard with some winning credentials and now we have him.

Well done to the club. Wonder if the one year deal suggests some caution from the club (eyeing Cadee and import or Creek in the future) or the player (wants to keep options open to re-test the market later). Either way, he's here for now!

Doesn't guarantee success, but definitely brings some confidence to 36ers fans.

Reply #371855 | Report this post

No Deal!!  
Years ago

Fantastic news! We should have a very strong side this season. I'm really impressed with the club pouncing on Gibson & Petrie so quickly. Best offseason in a very long time.

Reply #371856 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Fantastic news!

Reply #371857 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I'd say the option is more for Gibbo in case he isnt happy here? Hopefully we have some success and the team bonds well and he hangs around for a bit longer than that...

Reply #371858 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

36ers very strong this year.

Breakers v 36ers will be an epic game to see.

IMO, those 2 are the frontrunners of the comp

Reply #371859 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Impressive signing.

Reply #371861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hats off to the 36ers owners for an excellent offseason in signings. Schenscher, Gibson, Petrie, Cadee. Huge offseason from wooden spoon to title contender.

Just need to lock in Ng and hopefully add a veteran back up centre like a Mottram/Vasiljevic type and it will be the perfect offseason.

Bloody damn close as it is.

Reply #371863 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I might be shot down by some, but it's a shame Helliwell retired. Would have been an ideal back up big in this team.

Reply #371865 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

as a non 36'ers fan. im happy for all the adelaide fans. my best mate and collegue here in brissie is from Adelaide and coaches jnr teams here and he cant stop telling me how excited he is. I think Adelaide can push Perth and NZ, however i still have Perth in particular in front. Where are the 36'ers playing this year. did i hear their arena has been repossesed

Reply #371866 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tornado, I thought so too, but did want to give the club the benefit of the doubt. Marty might have a confident plan involving Dellavedova, for example (we can dream!).

skip, I wondered about Helliwell as the no-fuss, locker-room back-up veteran big too. We barely even need someone to step on court outside of emergencies.

MACDUB, wouldn't have dared say it earlier in the off-season, but the 36ers could be starting to approach the strength of the Breakers now. Obviously hard to know for sure, but Schenscher isn't exactly worse than Pledger, Petrie finally gives us our own Vukona, and I'd rather Johnson over Hudson (Wilkinson was a different situation). As I've said before, just need the Bruton-type player in Adelaide now and I'd be more comfortable. Coaching and chemistry remain to be seen.

Reply #371870 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

great news for the Sixers. hopefully goodbye wooden spoon, hello playoffs

Reply #371871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha u guy's are funny! Title contenders! Hahaha what a joke haha u only got dj, petrie n gibbo now that can actually do somthin with the ball! Breakers v 36'ers epic? What u on mate? Would'nt mind cairns n perth to go under the radar this year! Why is perth always the favourite?

Reply #371873 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Well you would hope it's goodbye Wooden spoon, any bloke in the crowd could coach that team off the bottom of the ladder!
My guess is Gibbo just wanted a job somewhere and NZ is too far and Adelaide is reasonably close to Melbourne.
Unless we win a Championship i'm going to say goodbye Adam next season!

Reply #371874 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Great offseason for 36ers.

Question is can the coaches put it all together?

Everyone calling for their heads the last couple of seasons must now ask if they can turn it around even with alot more talent?

Pressure is now heavily on Marty to get this team to playoffs, anything less would be a massive massive fail.

Reply #371875 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

Great News And Great Signing!!!

Reply #371878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide Thunder will be in the finals this season

Reply #371879 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

Adelaide Blaze you mean

Reply #371881 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Two great additions to add to an already great offseason for the Sixers.

Who is going to be the "leader" of this team though? Will be interesting to see how the inexperienced coaching staff get this to work.

The opportunity cost of passing up these guys is magnified in a league as tiny as the NBL, a fact overlooked by most of the boneheaded clubs around the country. Not only do you not have Petrie or Gibson on your team, another club just got a whole lot better. Such an effect is not as strong in the NBA for example, where there are 30 teams and quality players not as scarce.

Disappointed my club didn't make a move on either one of them (Gibbo not so much...he's a bit of a tool). We'll see how it pans out.

Reply #371883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

great signing, gives us our 'Lisch' type player we have been chasing the last couple of years, and is one of only a couple of Boomers who will play NBL next season so great signing and great offseason by the coaches and management.

As said above this team should definatly be in the playoff hunt, so exciting times ahead i think!

Reply #371884 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

I know this Adelaide Blaze "thing" is gonna stick around with us all season, and i think it's stupid as this is what happens when a team folds, someone has to swoop up some of the players, it may as well be us ;-)

Reply #371885 | Report this post

Mr Black  
Years ago

True, but its not often that one team gets the best players. All hail the ADELAIDE BLAZE :)

Reply #371886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well the blaze came 3rd last season, so if we can get there top players and come 3rd then most fans will be happy no matter what you call us.

Reply #371890 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I dont think Gibson is quite in the Lisch class yet. Good signing though, def a top 20 player in the league.

Reply #371893 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I hope that its not a violation of internet rule 14 if I just correct the troll's somewhat challenged spelling and grammar skills.

so

Corrected ( up to Grade 5 primary level English ) quote

Ha ha ha you blokes are funny! Title contenders! Ha ha ha, what a joke ! Ha ha.

You still only have DJ, Petrie and Gibbo, as players who can actually do something with the ball!

Breakers v 36'ers epic?

What are you on mate?

I wouldn't (note almost correct apostrophe use - at least s/he tried) mind Cairns and Perth going under the radar this year!

Why is perth always the favourite?

Hope this helps

Reply #371896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should just sign goulding and be done with it

Reply #371898 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

^ Just better to ignore the trolls. they want to hijack the thread to be about them. best to ignore

Reply #371899 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Good work Adelaide Blaze!

Reply #371901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Approaching the strength of the Breakers, easy guys let them play a preseason game first. The coaches still have a lot to answer fro as far as their in game decision making goes. All this means is they have alot less excuses if things go pear shaped.

Reply #371902 | Report this post

ant  
Years ago

Have to be close to favourites now? No more excuses marty Clarke

Reply #371903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the Adelaide Arena troubles what's the rent like at the Gold Coast Convention Centre?

Gold Coast 36ers? ;)

Reply #371904 | Report this post

Beagle  
Years ago

Always hard to get too excited about the Sixers during the off season while the footy's still going, but this year I'll make an exception!

Reply #371906 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Re; Adelaide Arena issues

We won't be using Challenge Stadium this season, you guys can use it if you want? You played some of your best game last season in the jungle!

We will let you rename it the furnace to go with your new team name too!

Reply #371908 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

Why are these players coming to the bottom place Adelaide?

Johnson and Creek re-sign?
Schenscher comes home when still an option of a year to go in Townsville?
Promising youngster Cadee leaves the Gold Coast to live in Adelaide?
Petrie and Gibbo both choose Adelaide over the other clubs?

Wait I know..........must be Marty's fault!

GO SIXERS!

Reply #371911 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mick, the same thing happens when you sign Australians in place of imports. You're picking from a limited pool of players and essentially deprive other sides of those options. That can force them to gamble on imports.

Reply #371916 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

^ "by signing Schenscher you know you dont have to work out how to guard him 4 times a year"

exact same sentiment for all signings thus far.

36ers have gotten a whole lot better plus stopped other teams from improving.

potential is there to say 5 teams are now playing for 4th spot

Reply #371918 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Best news for 6ers fans in a long time...

Reply #371921 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Best news I've heard so far about the make up of the team. There is no excuse to under perform this season as we have the players to do it. A good coach would create miracles from this team. I still question what Clarke will be capable of achieving with this great line-up. This is going to be the real test of his worth as a coach.

Reply #371932 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

A big signing, one of best Aussie signings of the last decade for Adelaide. I'm hoping they start Cadee/Gibson/Weigh/Johnson/Schenscher. Some defensive worries there but they will be a nightmare to guard, especially if they are hitting from range. If they do get burned it's easily fixed by changing to Gibson/Creek/Weigh/Petrie/Schenscher. Also gives us a good, dependable bench with some reliable veterans (Crosswell,Petrie) and an athlete to change things up (Creek). Will still be hard to knock off Perth or NZ but this team must finish in the top 4. Marty's going "all in" with Aussies- let's hope it works.

I've written more on my blog

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/07/gibbo-arena-news-petrie-more.html

Reply #371945 | Report this post

BobbyO  
Years ago

As soon as the new Melbourne Team comes along (which should be next season) Adelaide will be saying goodbye to Gibbo.

Reply #371968 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

What makes you say that BobbyO? Gibbo had a chance to come to Melbourne a couple of seasons ago, but decided to remain on the Gold Coast.

Reply #371970 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Interesting People are still sticking the knives in after the fantastic job Marty has done to get this group together.I think only one comment about the coach having anything to do with this or any recruiting at all. Are you guys really that stupid to think these kids are coming here for the lifestyle your great city or to improve as players?
Im sure there will be no comment on this as when to truth is spoken all you clowns shut up!!
All the best Marty anyone that knows coaching knows your talent.
Marty you need to put a Ban on Staff and Players Reading Hoops Forum it is full of negative crap and lies.
Wanker Filter Request again Issac!
And People i know Marty Does not read this but some Staff Do, Hoops is not the voice of the 36ers supporters 36ers staff and the sooner you realise there is only about 20 people that blog on here that matter you will move forward.
Over and Out.

Reply #371971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoops, they have no where else to play. Id say the last 2 seasons Marty has coached is still leaving a very bitter taste in fans mouths, and the results go against any of the positive talk you have said about Marty at NBL level. Hopefully this roster is 'Marty proof', and not even he can stuff it up.

Reply #371973 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Last season , Schenscher scored freely on Simpson and Johnson , while Helliwell pestered him to frustration
and seemed the right match up. He'd be pretty handy to have back here .
We gotta bit Weighed down last season.
Nagy writes a U.S. scoring swingman might be next.

Reply #371974 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Anon, 36ers had the worst list and the coach showed some respect to the list first year, you had the most over paid player in the league and out injured most of Clarkes time at the 36ers, that also causes recruitment issues $$$$ wise.
These last two recruits had options, do you think you were the only club with offers on the table?
Compare the list Marty took on and the list today,and take into account you are still stuggling $$$ wise.
You want win the title but Gee your future looks bright.
And the titles that you have won came at a price remember and you are still paying that price.
Get a clue mate its not rocket surgery ;)
In this team I would probably have Ballinger and Holmes back, at a lower $$$ and off the bench am i correct?

Reply #371975 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hoops, probably not 20 people. 250,000+ unique visitors to the forum in the last 12 months. At least a couple thousand uniques check in each day.

Players and coaches shouldn't be reading Hoops. Staff probably should stay aware of it though.

Reply #371976 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Some players and coaches do, that's only human nature, the key is to take it with a grain of salt.

Reply #371981 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I think a lot of people would be very surprised to know who actually reads and occasionally posts on this site (and OZHoops)

Reply #371984 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

moving Ballinger and his large contract noose on was the best thing for the club to do and it is paying dividends with the names that have CHOSEN to play here.

Every single player that has signed or re-signed had options to go elsewhere, each and every one of them chose Marty to be their coach. Some even pushed for clauses that say if he is not the coach then the contract is up.

As soon as people realize that Marty has had a non competitive list for 2 seasons the better.

The haters will be able to remove their foots from their large keyboard powered mouths soon enough

Reply #371985 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's very true Statman, Ive had a few comment on stuff Ive posted!

Reply #371986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which players had that Marty is my coach or contract cut deal???

Reply #371989 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Gee Issac there must be a large amount of Anon posters, i see the same names all the time.
And you really think is healthy for 36ers Staff to read this rubbish? They should be concentrating on growing the club not reading and believing opinions of people who think they know but know very little, lets be honest how many times are they on the money with the information they pass on?

Reply #371994 | Report this post

All Ozzy squad  
Years ago

Muzz Buzz your loyalty to the coaching staff is admirable. Obviously most if not all players had choices as to where they wished to play. The coaching staff have been given great support by ownership as they have made massive changes to the roster at the start and during their tenure, these choices were theirs as is the current roster. This is a very good group of Australian players and comes at a signicant price as did last years roster. Many teams spent much less and performed much better. The Gold Coast going under has enabled the 36ers to recruit two very good quality Australians, as to whether they have the talent to replace imports who may well have come cheaper will be interesting to follow. As for Marty being described as a development coach, its time to put that to rest, there is only one of his original
squad still with the team being DJ and any keen basketball observer would have predicted a very bright future for him when he was at Melbourne.
This is clearly the best Australian group of players
since the Dragons and as with the Dragons will have come at a price. Hopefully success follows in both the short and long term.

Reply #371995 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

All Ozzy squad it's nothing to do with loyalty, it's fact no money, crap team, finished last and players still want to come here, please explain!!
Is this not the reason the owners employed Marty in the First place to have a chance at recruiting this kind of talent?
Get your head out of the sand!
The only thing missing is some wins all else is going well with the team.Now we can say if marty cant make the play off's he is gone, never happy some people.
Long term people, how many Future Boomers do you need to keep you happy?
Will you be happy when Marty leaves and two years later all these players go with him?

Reply #372005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

schens - petrie - solid vet
johnson - petrie
weigh - creek
import - gibson - ng
gibson - cadee

Reply #372006 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

We've finished last the past two years, and yet we've been able to acquire this amount of talent over the off-season. I along with many question some of the substitution patterns, and horrid defence which surely extended beyond the players fault BUT Johnson has been a success and despite our consistent losing and living in the bombshelter, the culture and stability of the club, players and coaches has been surprisingly strong (opposite of Melbourne really).

If we make top 4 this year, then arguably Marty will go a long way to stabalising his reputation here and getting an extension

Reply #372015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide have 4 players from last year and Melbourne have 6?

Reply #372018 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I'll tell you why people want to play there, Hoops, and it has nothing to do with Marty Clarke. It's because they were offered decent money and playing time, and primarily because Big Red wanted to play out his career in his hometown.

The same reason why players in Townsville before 2011/2012 season waited for the big fella to sign before committing: because he is big as hell and a great passer -- so if you play with him you get lots of open shots.

Reply #372027 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Mick, Really? Big call! Maybe they should of asked for a Big Red out Clause instead of a Coaches Clause then. Idiot!!

Reply #372032 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Peter Crawford and others openly stated it in the media.

As for Adelaide, if you think Gibson and Petrie have some sort of coach-out-clause in their contract you are an idiot.

Another fact you are overlooking - these guys didn't sign with the Sixers in a conventional free agency period, they signed after most teams had full rosters and limited cash.

Reply #372041 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

ah Mick
very wrong re PC

Players do want to be here but obviously need to be out of contract before they can make the move

Only Perth has a fully locked away roster

Reply #372044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth and Sydney are both full.

Reply #372046 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

No, very right. Before last season, PC openly stated in the media that Schenscher re-signing was the biggest sticking point. This isn't some backroom insider opinion it is a quote from PC himself in mainstream media.

Direct quote from Crawford himself, midway through past season:

"We were both out of contract at the end of last year and whether he was playing (this season) was important to me. Just having him in there, teams have to double team him, they have to help off guys,"

This season, however, he re-signed without Schensch comitting.

The Sixers have a proud history and a few nice young pieces to go with one of the best centres in the league, not to mention they play in what is probably the most basketball-centric city in the country. It's no surprise players want to head there now. Clarke leaving or being replaced certainly wouldn't change that.

And to re-iterate: the idea that Gibson or Peach have a coach-clause in their contract, as Hoops suggested, is complete nonsense.

Reply #372106 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

so 2 years ago he would only sign if Luke was a croc yet this season signed knowing he was most likely not likely to re-sign

must have missed your point

Reply #372110 | Report this post

Tassie  
Years ago

So Mick, you are saying a coaches clause was
Never asked for and the players are in adelaide for the smart supporters and big red not the coaching staff, please read this and take time to think how silly it sounds.

Reply #372113 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

@ Muzz Buzz: Crawford was an extra year into his second Crocs tenure and the idea of this being his last NBL stint was more set in stone, plus he got more money on the second contract. Again, I'm just going on what he has said. You're acting like this is my opinion or something.

@ Tassie: I understand that one or more of the younger Sixers players have coach-clauses in their contract. However, let me say this again, for the third time, in capital letters for clarity:

ADAM GIBSON AND ANTHONY PETRIE DO NOT HAVE MARTY CLARKE OR NOTHING CLAUSES IN THEIR SIXERS CONTRACTS.

Reply #372167 | Report this post

Tassie  
Years ago

Mick I don't think that was ever said the fact that there was even a conversation about it in the negotiation of a contract surly shows it is the back of their minds.I'm sure they also spoke about how smart you and the supporters are Mick and big red. JUST TO MAKE IT CLEAR THE PLAYERS BELIEVE IN THE COACH AND YOU DON'T NO ONE CARES! PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE SHIT ME YOU THINK THE COACH IS GETTING THE SACK SO YOU PREACH IT WAITING TO SAY I TOLD YOU SO. LOOK AT THE FACTS YOU HAD A CRAP TEAM THAT NEEDED REBUILDING AND IT HAS BEEN DONE,EVEN WITHOUT PETRIE GIBSON IT WOULD A GOOD TEAM TO BRING ON. GET A CLUE!

Reply #372172 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

so Mick you are suggesting that because PC gets paid more this season he is all of a sudden OK with playing without Schensch?

Of course a team mate is going to pump up his colleague in the media. You expected him to slate him?

Teams that have the $ and the need for a guard such as Gibbo

New Zealand
Townsville
Melbourne
Cairns

Yet Gibbo chose Adelaide, who by your reckoning is only here because Adelaide offered him over and above what the other teams did.

You realise that the players talk to each other. Do you think Gibbo and Petrie signed without talking to Cadee as well? Do you think Crosswell had a hand in landing Schensch?

Reply #372180 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Cadee would have been a big factor in getting Peach and Gibbo.

Having been able to watch these 2 up close both on and off the court for the past 3 seasons I can confidently say the majority of Sixers supporters will have their expectations exceeded both on court and also off court with how these guys buy into the team and community they are in.

Reply #372191 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New Zealand and Townsville want imports, Melbourne wanted Gibson but baulked at his price.

Reply #372192 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I agree with you completely on that point Muzz. What I'm saying is that Clarke isn't the reason this team has all of a sudden attracted these players - it's the opportunity to play with a guy like Schensch or Crossy.

I didn't imply once that Gibbo chose Adelaide for the $$$. I said they were on the improve and had acquired some nice young pieces to go along with Schensch in a basketball-mad town with a proud history. The complete opposite of $$$.

My other point, to clarify, is that this isn't a conventional free-agent coup: while still a great achievment, it didn't require the same kind of negotiating moxy as if both were FAs at the end of a season. Almost every club would have had a run at either of these guys in a conventional free agency period.

As for your other point, what I was saying about PC is that he is another year closer to retiring, jumping ship now became even less ideal when he'd always wanted to finish his career in his hometown anyway, especially when more money is on the table. There was another article around the time of his re-signing that isn't online where he said that Schensch was the the thing that convinced him to sign (before 2011/12 season). Don't know his thought process but in terms of the way the negotiations panned out, it seems that PC was more concerned with getting recognised and compensated for a great personal year than the basketball situation this time around.

Also, Townsville were never in the market for Gibson. They have two roster spots to fill, both of whom will be imports whose skillsets Gibson would not satisfy.

Tassie - I'm not even going to continue this line of debate because you can barely speak English. Firstly, I'm not even a Sixers fan, for one, and secondly I'm not a "Clarke Hater". When Hoops implied that Petrie and Gibbo had a "Clarke clause" I had to call bullshit, because it ain't true. Jesus. Calm down, man...

Reply #372194 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ are waiting for Cedric Jackson to resign. Worst case scenario and he doesn't, they are comfortable with their Import recruiting. I personally would have been happy to have Gibson as a Breaker, the coaching staff had other plans. Jackson>Gibson

Reply #372196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns are getting an import centre.

Reply #372200 | Report this post

Tassie  
Years ago

No need to be like that Mick , haha!! If you no nothing shut up!!

Reply #372219 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

K-N-O-W.

Know.

Reply #372442 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mick, as nice as they are (I don't know Crosswell personally, so assuming on that count), I doubt that playing with Schensch and Crosswell would be big factors in a signing - these Blaze guys haven't really played with those two previously unless I'm forgetting something. Bigger factors would be opportunities, money, coach, stability, possibly strength of the team, location, etc. A player will avoid a team if there is a particular player or coach they actively dislike or look to team up with a friend. As someone (Statman) said, Gibson and Petrie might have more interest in playing alongside Cadee.

Reply #372448 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Schenscher / only 3 points left
Johnson / Petrie
US scoring swingman / Creek / way
Gibson / US scoring swingman
Cadee / Crosswell

( I seem to recall Ng sayen he'd retire earlier than most)

Reply #372491 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I like that team Camel with swingman scorer also like to see Ng play again if3 points enough to get him

Reply #372512 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ng is rated 5 for this season , was 6
but MAY retire .
Helliwell is rated 4 for this season , was 8
but seems to have retired.

Reply #372513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any update on the vacant positions

Reply #373035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NG is taking the season off to focus on life

Reply #373037 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754