Go Boomers
Years ago

Boomers a chance to beat Spain?

We have got a lot we need to improve on, but from our results against Spain pre olympics (losing both games by only 6 points) Do we stand any chance and what must be done to ensure we can follow through

Topic #28891 | Report this topic

hoopie  
Years ago

Nup, no chance.

Once we're down by 20 points, Spain will ease off and we may end up going down by between 10 and 20. But we'll still go down.

Reply #372517 | Report this post

Franko  
Years ago

Yes i do believe we can, sick of everyone doubting the boomers. We can do this!!

Reply #372518 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

If we shut down the Gasols and Ibaka we win!
If we fail to shut them down we go down by 20.

If patty takes just as many bad shots as his good ones, we will narrowly lose once again.

Reply #372520 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Boomers don't have anybody that can shut down the Gasol's. I don't believe. Prove me wrong please.

Reply #372523 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

i think we can.

i dont think we will.

they have their best cattle and we dont. hopefully we push them hard and keep it tight. if its tight right until they end they might fold under pressure.

hopefully the guys go into it knowing they can beat them knowing that everyone thinks they wont. get fired up as underdogs play like there is no tomorrow.

Reply #372524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spain's bigs are just too good and really their guards are just too good.

I'd love to see us push them but would be content with a 15-20 point loss, anything more than that could be disastrous for us as we'll need to beat China & GB plus hope we can snatch the last game against Russia to really have any hope of advancing to the next round.

Can't see us beating Russia but if we've just come off of two good wins against China & GB the guys confidence might be up and we might be bable to jag it.

Reply #372525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they have their best cattle and we dont. hopefully we push them hard and keep it tight. if its tight right until they end they might fold under pressure.

No they don't. They're missing their starting PG (Ricky Rubio).

Reply #372528 | Report this post

david $tern  
Years ago

We can do it, have faith!

Reply #372529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blind faith, wont beat Spain, sadly we just dont have the fire power to compete with theirs. Spain will get better as the tournement goes on, and will give the US a decent run for it all come medal time.

Patriotism is great, but be completely honest about this Boomers group.

Reply #372530 | Report this post

D@B  
Years ago

Haha. Funny post title

Not a chance

Who is going to stop Gasol

oh and I also forgot about the other Gasol

oh and someguy called Ibaka

Our guards/singman probably can keep up but we will get murdered in the paint (at both ends)

Reply #372531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, forget Mills, this should be Andersen's team, guy can flat out play the game. With his touch, isolate him on the block every time, and play from there.

Reply #372532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because people are saying they don't think they can win, doesn't mean they don't want them to win.

If we struggled to guard the bigs of Brazil, what hope do we have guarding the bigs of Spain?

I hope we win and will be barracking hard for the Boomers, I just don't think we have the cattle. The margin will be determined by Mills shot selection and our ability to maintain possession.

Reply #372533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A simple way to look at it - if the 3 ball drops we can win

Reply #372537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And predict that mills will be completely shut down by spain - so someone else will need to step up and make some big shots

but I do like the boomers when they attack the hoop off pick n rolls

Reply #372538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boomers are due for a big one, after many years of waiting. I think we will upset, hopefully not Australia

Reply #372547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People are missinformed. we dont need to beat 3 teams to just advance.. we need to beat 2... but we need to beat 3 to advance comfurtably and miss the US... its gonna be harder then we expected. Can we beat Spain? well yes we can, as for thoies saying "whos gonna stop gasol" etc... who was gonna stop any opf the players from france? no one particular person does it..mits a group effort... It can be done, but Im skeptical as to whether it will.

Reply #372548 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

Spain will give us a lesson in how to play Basketball,Gasol will be ruler of the court on the night.I expect us to win all other games in the group though.With Bogut & Maric together we could play a lot better against Spain,not to mention Jawai in that threesome of big guys.

Reply #372549 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Why does everyone keep harping on 'if we had Bogut'?? We don't, and Jawai wasn't picked for the team (doubt he would have made a difference anyway) so basically question is can we beat Spain with the team that is playing right now??
Just hoping the reffing is better than yesterdays game!

Reply #372552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we should save our upset for the preliminary stages.

Reply #372555 | Report this post

anonyous  
Years ago

If players actually hit their 3s then we have a chance otherwise dont think so

Reply #372558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being realistic, we've got no hope. Would be great to see them win, but Spain is a class above the boomers. I think we should be more worried about beating GB and China to advance to the next round. There is no guranteee we'll beat either of those two. Andersen definately should be the go to big, marics is slow and pretty unskilled, baynes is an ok player but only good for limited minutes, and nielsen is just plain crap. Patty, ingles and andersen should be the go to players, everyone else needs to play there role.

Reply #372560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 wins won't guarantee we miss the US, it didn't in 2008.

Reply #372571 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Of course we are a chance! The only thing is, we need lots to go right for us to win...

Miracles in sport do happen after all :)

Reply #372572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL. I love how people like being pessimistic just for the purpose of being pessimistic. The same people would have said we have no chance in hell against france.... I really wonder why they even follow Australian Basketball.. it boggles the mind. Look on the flipside, I am not being optomistic just for the sake of it either... I think people speak of Spain and get scared but there not actually looking at there form at the moment. they barely held us off by 6 in 2 games recently... great britian somehow got within 4.. they had a hard time doing away with China... a 16 point win after a tight 3 quaters and allowing Chinas star to score 30 on them... there a 'good' team, but dont assume there unbeatable just because of where they were a few years ago! As for "ogh theyve got Mark Gasol now"... well.. look what happened with us and Maric? he came in to the game, was on a different page then everyone else and spent the rest of it on the bench.... there not super humans and there suseptable to the same downsides that we are... Its going to be a hard game, but not an impossible one by any stretch of the imagination. if we lose it, it will be a single figure deficit I am sure... If we win, it will probably be close also. we do have areas we can expl;oit them on, our wings are arrguably more athletic... we are a little down in the big man department, but thats where we need to look to take the momentum for ourselves and not let it turn into a game where Spain can pound the ball inside. People were predicting a 20 pooint loss to Brazil even, we got within 4.. and couldve actually won... so basicly wake up... see this team is going to scrap for its life every step of the way. we will beat GB and China and we just need to scalp 1 giant, its hard but its very possible...

Reply #372579 | Report this post

Step back  
Years ago

Exactly right anon #372579, well said

Reply #372582 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Maybe we are due for one Boomers player to carry the team on their shoulders to victory in an important major tournament game against a quality opponent. The last performance like that that I can recall was Gaze (quarters of... was it 1996? 2000? I wish there was a copy of that game floating around somewhere online).

If Mills catches fire, he has the potential to make it very interesting. If Mills continues to throw up rubbish with little return, we don't have a chance.

We may need to have several players that all have very good games, but don't write us off completely. Ingles and Andersen are in form, Mills is due for a breakout game, and we need some quality contributions from other role players. We just need a lot to go right, and Spain to play below themselves.

Reply #372586 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Anything can happen in these short major tournaments. If Spain have an off night, we have a chance. I agree that their form hasn't been great in their practice games. To me it appeared like they were not going hard, that they could lift several levels, but that doesn't mean that they will suddenly be in top form against us. Although maybe they will be. ;)

Reply #372587 | Report this post

watch  
Years ago

we could still top the pool yet. Boomers are actually playing well, with some structure, intensity and commitment. Anything could happen.

Reply #372609 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I'm not sure why everyone is harping on Mills taking 'bad' shots. He took a lot of shots, but I don't think he took many bad ones at all. Two or three at the most. The reality is that they just weren't dropping, and thats gonna happen because he is a streaky shooter. On the flip side, he could easily take another 24 shots tonight and make 15 of them.

The problem is that the others have to step up, so he doesn't feel he needs to take so many shots for us to have a chance. Based on the Brazil game, we need to start either Maric or Baynes so we can shift Andersen to the four spot and take advantage of some mismatches in the post. Ingles and Newley also need to be super agressive from the moment they get on court, trying to get to the rim at every opportunity.

Reply #372616 | Report this post

Sector7G  
Years ago

The Boomers ARE a chance to beat Spain.
And I'm a chance to win lotto this Sat night.

Odds are about the same.

Reply #372621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

very funny sector... but id say were as 40% chance of beating Spain... so U might wanna mke your lotto bet

Reply #372660 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

again, Mills has to take more shots because there are no much talent in the team. Not even Newley or Ingles are attempting much. So there has to be someone to take charge

Reply #372728 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:51 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754