People Power
Years ago

CBA may not recognise 36ers lease; boycott?

Let's all threaten to pull our deposits with the Commonwealth Bank if they don’t recognise the lease.

Banks at the moment need every deposit they can get with funding markets being so tight right now and pulling deposits, even from a few thousand customers hurts. It may even hurt enough that the potential loss on the arena will hurt them less than a loss of deposits.

Can someone today with time (I’m at work) start a petition (with real commonwealth customers which I am one for my business) threatening to pull deposits if the 36ers are priced out of the Arena. This is where people power can actually work.

36ers news release below:

The Adelaide 36ers and Basketball SA have met with the new owners of the Adelaide Arena, the Commonwealth Bank, and their agents Ferrier Hodgson, to determine the immediate future of their tenancy within the popular sporting venue.
As the existing lease is not recognised by the new owners, the Commonwealth Bank, the number one priority for basketball is to secure a lease that will see the sport at the Arena for the 2012-13 NBL season.
The tenants are working with the Commonwealth Bank and their agent to reach an agreement on venue operational costs as well as a lease. It is expected that an update on the lease situation will be known within the next couple of weeks.
Adelaide 36ers CEO Leeanne Grantham said she is hopeful of a resolution that will see the 36ers on court on October 7 for the NBL season kick-off.
"We are optimistic that the Commonwealth Bank, as the new owners, will recognise how critical it is to secure our lease as soon as possible, so that the 36ers can be on court for the 2012-13 season."
“We’re making it our number one priority to see that this issue is resolved as a matter of urgency.”
Basketball SA CEO Mark Hubbard said that it was vital for sport generally that the future of the Arena is secured.
“Clearly it’s imperative for us to secure the venue for the 2012-13 season not only for the Adelaide 36ers and Adelaide Lightning but for all basketball, and other sports such as netball, gymnastics and indoor soccer who have also used the venue.”
“It’s a unique, multi-purpose venue, that is seen as one of the best basketball venues in the country. And, we’re hopeful of soon having an agreement with the Bank that sees the Adelaide Arena remain open for business.”

Topic #28897 | Report this topic

Jason  
Years ago

I pulled my banking from CBA 3 years ago when I worked out what a crap bank they are. They don't care about their customers. The current advertising campaign is such an oxymoron.

Reply #372629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Credit Unions or Bendigo, dunno why people join banks that are purely for profit, of course they're going to to take your money.

Reply #372637 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

The CBA will come to some sutiable arrnagement - it is in there best interests both from a commercial as well as a community persepctive. I would not worry too much about that.

Reply #372640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a bit late now to be thinking about where else to play as well.
This situation was always going to occur. They should already have had plans in place long before now just in case.

Reply #372643 | Report this post

watch  
Years ago

Broadbeach entertainment centre is probably available.
Some of the team enjoy playing there. Gold Coast 36ers. Sounds ok.

Reply #372657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had to laugh, the advertising banner in the middle of this thread is for the commonwealth bank.

Reply #372666 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Most likely the 36ers are their best customer here.
They might think they've gotta gold mine
until they find out about all the restrictions.

Reply #372669 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

well the bank makes more out of home loans so every one change there home loans too. The cba will make a decision based on profit/business not the community.
If you beleive there adds they would offer to be a major sponser take naming rights and help sa sport... I don't think so.

Reply #372678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

introducing your adelaiade commonwealth bank 36ers!!! could work i guess?

Reply #372681 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seeing the cain't get the $5M for the place
take the 36ers best offer and some free sponsorship and free naming right.

Reply #372691 | Report this post

The Key  
Years ago

The Bank will make the best money decision. So if they can get a better lease signed from another organisation the 36'ers will have to go somewhere else. Eddie may not have sourced the best possible rates from the BASA because he was a fan. CBA dont care.

Reply #372709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if i win the powerball this week i'll by the stadium...re-name it "the powerhouse" the middle court shall be known as "brett maher court" and i'll creek shoot hoops anytime and play his beats as loud as he likes

Reply #372713 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pump rooms for all!

Reply #372716 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:10 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754