Anonymous
Years ago

2016 Olympic Boomers team.

Ok everyone, ist safe to say this Boomers team wont be the one that medals. we SHOULD scrape into the top 8 but thats about as far as it is going to go. Thats by o means a disgrace but it isnt exactrly where we wanna be. What needs to be changedm, what players should make the team? I feel more confident talking about the team in the future then the current one.. so lets give it a go shall we?

OK.. who will be retained from the current boomers?

Matthew Dellevadova:
despite a pretty awful game against spainihe is definitely our best PG prospect right now and definitely has a pro future somewhere like Europe in a good league. I would expect he would be much better by 2016..

Patrick Mills:
atty Mills has a lot of potential, but someone needs to teach him to move the ball around, plus when and where to shoot! he is still only 23 though, must be remembered he is very young and with a few more nBA years under his belt should be that much better

Joe Ingles:
To me this inclusion is a No Brainer... would be one of the first people I would pick.

Brad Newley:
As above

So thats 4 locks. 3 other potential players would be Aleks Maric, Aaron Baynes and Mark Worthington.

Ok.. so say we have 4 players locked (or 7 if you like) whos the rest of your 2016 team to push for a better result???

Ok... 1, Andrew Bogut obviously... (assuming he will even play for us) that one inclusion already changes the complexion of the team.

2. Dante Exum?
was dominant in under 17s, will be 19 in the 2016 worlds.. is he a possible player or too young?

3. Ben Simmons, As above

4. Brock Motum?
Anthony Drmic? High greenwood? Ryan Broekoff?

Any others?

Topic #28905 | Report this topic

Des  
Years ago

Can we get some big units from the Congo to become Australian natives? Eg Serge Ibaka's twin brother

Can the AFL not take all our big young athletic talented sportsmen - we need some players, I hear the AFL get all the talent down south

Prerequisite for the team;
1 - have a few players who can shoot 75% from F/T line (we missed so many tonight)
2 - have a couple of 3 PT bombers on the floor (gaze should suit up for rest of Olympics, who cares that he's 50, he can shoot it!!)

Reply #372883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the fact that weve stayed in these games without a single 3 point threat is uncanny... theres alot of potnetial there we just need to shore up the glaring weaknesses

Reply #372884 | Report this post

Des  
Years ago

Obviously I'm having a laugh... So gutted with the game tonight, I know Spain are gun, but we just had no offense, tough to watch. Hopefully we can turn it around for China.

Ps Exum looks the goods

Reply #372888 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

I still believe AJ Ogilvy can play. dont know why he didnt enter the draft after his freshman year when he was picked to be a lottery pick. He has suffered from injury set backs in the past 2 years. I wouldnt rule him out just yet. I hope Dante Exum and Drmic can develop into really good players. maybe by 2016 Anatoly Bose will improve and would probably be a better pick then Barlow. Would be great if Ben Simmons had a 3 or 4 inch growth spurt and become a dominate athletic big man for us. i heard he was super impressive recently in the US.

Reply #372889 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Predictions prior to 2016

Daniel Joyce gets drafted no 2 (being realistic) by an NBA team. Dominates, becomes scoring champion 3 years in a row (again being realistic but he could go 4).decides to lend his services to the Green & Gold, whilst only ever going right.

Seriously though, other than the players already mentioned, at this early stage the college players of Motum, Drmic, Greenwood and HS ballers Dante Exum and Simmons would def. be apart of extended squad at least.With Motum and Exum looking the most promising.

Reply #372890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WIll Kevin Lisch be aussie then?

Can we start finding a way to coax imports who come here into naturalising???

seriously, its painful to watch our boys try so hard yet stick to the 8th spot.

Reply #372897 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

getting a coach that can coach a small handful of plays effectively on offense would be a start.

Reply #372900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Curtley you are a genius, it's won and for us lost in the half court.

Reply #372910 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I agree, Curtley - the Spanish seemed to know where to go each time, played as a team rather than as a bunch of individuals, had no trouble finding the easy scoring option, and scored.

Spain had good coaching of good players, playing as a team. We had an NBA coach trying to get us playing NBA ball, which doesn't suit many of the current team.

Hopefully next Olympics we have a better match between coach and players. Either get a Euro-style coach and play a Euro-style game, which seems to suit us better, or keep Brett Brown and pick more college kids to play an NBA style.

Reply #372911 | Report this post

Japorms  
Years ago

drive the fucking ball to the hoops, thats all i can say. See when they have done it late in the game last night.

Reply #372912 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

scrap the national team altogether and lobby for AFL to become a Olympic sport.

Seriously we should only pick players who can committ to a solid pre games lead up and are comitted to a nation team concept. If Dela is the only hope we have in the PG spot then we are in deep trouble. He is going to need to work much harder as a scoreing threat. Bogut will be in a wheelchair by 2016 knowing his luck so dont count on him at all. I think Brown is a good assist NBA coach but in the Olympics he is just crap, we need a coach with solid international expirience who can pull all these individuals together. A Euro training facility is also a must especially if we cant get everyone back home 3 months before the games and worlds.

Reply #372913 | Report this post

G......T  
Years ago

corey maynard

Reply #372915 | Report this post

T-Peezy  
Years ago

Hopefully Brown doesn't re-apply for the job cos he's been disgraceful as coach! I'd love to see Lemanis given a shot and then worry about the team from there. No good having a gun team if the coach doesn't use the players effectively or is too scared to mix it up a bit and play some bench players looking for a spark when you start to get down by 10+
A good coach is willing to take a chance and see what might/could happen

Reply #372916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley has done nothing to warrant future selection. IMO.

Great athlete, yes, not a consistent enough shooter and gets lost in the half court which is what International Basketball is.

If its open and loose he's great, otherwise he's too one dimensional.

Reply #372917 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

What about Kyrie Irving? (unless he wants to play for team USA) i dont see why we cant have him in 2016?

Reply #372930 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think we will have a very good balance of players come 2016 should we qualify of course, some of whom should be reaching the prime of their careers.

It is worth noting that I think Australia will benefit from the new FIBA qualification system once it commences...

The below is a summary that Paul put together some time ago about the FIBA changes to their Olympic and World Champ schedule...

- The new Basketball World Cup (to replace the World Championships) will be expanded to field 32 teams
- Qualification to be home and away series (similar to FIFA)
- Calender to run Olympics 2016, zone championship 2017, women's world champs 2018, men's world cup 2019
- Likely to mean that qualification to the Olympics will be primarily through the World Cup

Importantly under the new system of competition, there can be up to 1,600 games played by up to 130 national federations over a period of 18 to 24 months. This is double the number of national teams that are currently involved in the qualifying process for FIBA's leading international tournaments. And for us, this means seeing the Boomers and Opals play regular home and away games every year - something we only get to see against NZ when qualifying for WC's and Olympics.

In addition, as the strength of international teams is based in Europe, often some fo the best teams miss out on the WC's and Olympics due to lack of places. Under the proposed changes, FIBA Basketball World Cup will consist of 32 teams, thereby allowing for good representation for every continent. For example, you could have 12-14 European teams that qualify for FIBA's flagship event. To me this ensures the best of the best which is what the World cup should be about.

Reply #372937 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

LC, will BA be able to afford all those games and all that travel?

Reply #372939 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

With the extra games and possible travel, there will be more expenses. I'm not sure how FIBA is contributing to this either...but I guess with more meaningful Boomers games on home soil, this increases brand awareness, marketability and possibly sponsorship and a media deal of some kind. Whether this brings in significant dollars or not it is too early to tell.

But the major positive is meaningful Australian games frequently - something we have never really had before unlike to the European and South American teams. This can only be good for developing the Boomers squad of players and helping develop a style that better suits our players and talent.

Reply #372944 | Report this post

workhorse  
Years ago

I think next Olympics we need to try and go young and get some International Experience into the 19-25 y/o

Guards:
*Patrick Mills (27)
*Matthew Dellavedova (25)
*Adam Gibson (29)
*Dante Exum (21)
*Hugh Greenwood (24?)

Forwards:
*Joe Ingles (28)
*Mark Worthington (33)
*Brad Newley (31)
*Ben Simmons (20)

Centres:
*Andrew Bogut (31)
*Thon Maker (19)
*Aron Baynes (29)

Starting 5:
*PG = Patrick Mills
*SG = Matthew Dellavedova
*SF = Joe Ingles
*PF = Aron Baynes
*C = Andrew Bogut

Reply #373002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whos thon maker?

Reply #373006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh I just saw some videos of this Thon maker kid,. Holy fuck!!! looks like the 2016 olympic team could be the blackest team weve ever had! Imagine Mills, Exum, Simmons, jawai, Maker? then even an outside chance of Majok? Not being racist. i think it would turn some heads as Australias traditionally been a very white team and people are use to dealing with a group of white stiffs from us.

We definitely NEED to rope Maker in now, he needs to be in an U/17 national team or an U/19 national team. Gotta claim there rights to him and get him to want to be a part of the program NOW before other distractions come in

Reply #373012 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I like you're theory Workhorse. I would add Drmic, Broekoff and Motum into the mix as well. All three are versatile players who can, importantly, shoot the basketball!

Reply #373129 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Not Gibson, not Wortho, and probably not Newley.

Don't forget, we're talking about a Newley four years older and a lot slower

Reply #373132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

boomers 2016
starters:
mills (28)
Dellavedova (26)
Ingles (29)
Baynes (30)
Bogut (31)

gibson (30)
exum (21)
newley (31)
simmons (20)
motum (26)
nevill (30)
oglivy or maker

looks a young team but still plenty experience with mills, delly, ingles, newley, bogut

Reply #384743 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:52 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754