bendog
Years ago

NBA knocking on Joe Ingles door?

Joe has been playing terrific ball as of late surely he will at least get a camp invite.

Topic #28906 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

Hes been the find of the tournament so far for the Aussies.

Reply #372923 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If he's contracted to Barcelona he wont be released even if he did get an invite. But shooting 5/14 against Spain isnt likely to have clubs stampeding to his door.

Reply #372924 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Nup - his form is too patchy, his concentration and involvement wanders a bit, his shot is too slow, and he doesn't have enough 1on1 variety. He's not even setting Barcelona on fire.

Imagine Jingles going 1on1 against someone quick like Patty from half-court. Jingles would be lucky to get any points, especially if there was something like a 15-second time limit.

He won't get a gig in the NBA.

Reply #372926 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

He was responsible for a third of our turnovers against Brazil also...

Reply #372931 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Until he shows some consistency, he will stay in Europe IMO.

Reply #372933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

only as a mascot

Reply #372934 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Joe Ingles looks like a snotty nosed kid.

Reply #372942 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

What's his one NBA level skill? He doesn't have one IMO. He basically needs to get a reliable jumpshot and then he has a chance to be a 9th or 10th man.

Reply #372943 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Beantown I think you hit it on the head...

Reply #372945 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

His 24 with a lot of potential

Reply #372949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he needs to get a right hand! His iso's are left, little bit more left, then left again

Reply #372951 | Report this post

The Medic  
Years ago

Thanks for posting Joe. How's London?

Reply #372954 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

To be real about Joe and the NBA, he simply hasnt got an NBA body or one dominant skill. That means his all-around skills have to be at star level, as unlike the FIBA game jack-of-all-trades arent all that common or useful in the NBA.

Looking at Joe's career, he's had some great moments but has never been a consistent top player in the NBL or ACB, and it's a big step from both those to the NBA. His next step is to become a consistently good club player.

Reply #372957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simple answer, NO!!!

Reply #372959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe is young and talente dthere are far worse players in the NBA if he was an American Kid he would get an NBA gig as a role player.
I am one who hates when people compare him with Tayshaun Prince but it is true both have a similar physique and game. There is no reason with some hard work 3-4 years down the track that Jingles can't make an NBA roster.

Reply #372960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He shows alot of potential but dissapears too much in games

Reply #372964 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I am one who hates when people compare him with Tayshaun Prince but it is true both have a similar physique and game.

What an odd thing to say.

Reply #372971 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

cant shoot consistently and honestly looks like an nbl player at best.they are shooting like sh-t

Reply #372972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What did he have like 6 turnovers against Brazil?

Please.

Reply #372974 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

As Paul mentioned above, Ingles doesn't have an NBA-type body, he doesn't have one particular skill that is outstanding, and his overall game is so inconsistent. This last point for mine is the main reason he'll struggle to be an NBA player. Even if he was lucky enough to get a roster spot, he would stuggle to hold a regular rotation spot because of his inconsistency. Even at international level I feel he is out of his depth. A lot of posters here have commented he has been our best player. He only played one good quarter against Brazil! His shooting is streaky, he's settling for the step-back on iso's way too much, and he turns the ball over a lot. I sincerely hope that a 20 year old Ben Simmons will take his starting small forward spot for the next Olympics, and Joe can come off the bench where he will provide more worth for the team, rather than expected to be one of our main players.

Reply #372976 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Well there u have it Bendog- jury's in!

Reply #372978 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

The reason Ingles doesn't have an NBA body is coz he's lazy as fuk when it comes to working out in the gym- his NBA combine bench showed that...

Reply #373038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's funny how trolls get all trolled out on this website. Basketball trolls are a unique breed.

Reply #373053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's about the 11-12 best player of Barca. No one gets on Barca's main 12 man roster without being able to play in the NBA in a rotation.

That being said, he's still the 11-12 best player of the that team.

Of course, Rubio was only about the 10-11 best player of that team also.

Reply #373493 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

I don't think anybody is suggesting Jingles will be an all-star his first season, but he definitely has what it takes to get on the roster of an NBA team.Having Barcelona FC on your resume will certainly help, but he has been the MVP of the Boomers so far (even after Mills great shot against Russia). I'd imagine there would be a number of teams interested in a 6'8-6'9" SG/SF with Joe's skills has at least as a prospect.Granted their are many scouting reports that put great emphasis on strength and explosiveness and how close a player measure up to Team USA players, but those same scouts overlook many talented players like Manu, John Starks, Monta Ellis, Jeremy Lin, Carlos Boozer, Dennis Rodman, Ben Wallace, Udonis Haslem.....who all went 2nd round or were undrafted.

Reply #374212 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Put it this way, after watching tonight's game who would you take, Alexey Shved or Ingles? The difference is Shved has done it consistently at club level, Ingles has done nothing.

If he can have a big year at Barcelona people will look at him. I dont think Shved will succeed in the NBA (or De Colo) but they are getting a chance, and Ingles can too if he can produce consistently.

Reply #374216 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Agree Paul, Shved is a quality player. Ingles will need a great year a Barcelona, but unlike some suggest i do think he is in with a real chance of a NBA call up provided he plays well with FCB regal. From what i've seen of De Colo, he is talented but inconsistent, but so is Rudy Fernandez and he hung around for 4 seasons in the NBA.

Reply #374244 | Report this post

Leroy30  
Years ago

I have actually seen Ingles "play" in Barcelona, most recently against Tev Aviv. Sadly he hasnt changed since his move there.

He didnt get a lot of court time and i got the impression he is an "intangibles" guy on that team.

He still contains below NBA level speed, which for a SG/SF is problematic especially on D and he wont be able to penetrate the paint with great success. He has a slow release jump shot (which he is making more consistently mind you) but in the NBA that doesnt bode well.

Ingles does have good court sense and could be more versatile if he worked on his physical ability (speed and strength).

However he has not added any muscle to his rail thin frame which says something about his work ethic.

His ball handling is not at NBA standard still.

With all this in mind, what position do you think he can play?

Its unfortunate, because he does have decent length and at times plays bigger than his frame suggests, but he is cannon fodder in the NBA. You will see when we play the US next.

I have also seen a lot of Alexey Shved and i had thought that his game does translate very well to the NBA. He has improved in leaps and bounds in the last season for CSKA.

Good instincts, not too dissimilar to Rubio, but not as good of a feel for the game as Rubio....yet.

He has been trusted more and more at the end of games and has produced when asked to come up with a big play.

I was worried about his ball handling, but it is very much a confidence issue with Shved. He has a good medium range game and is very athletic, often finds himself on the end of ally´s from a high screen play they run for him.

He wont be a big factor in his first year, but learning with Rubio and having Kirilenko on the side will help him progress at Minnesota. It was a low risk signing for the Wolves and it went some way to making sure Kirilenko signed there also.

Another Russian that you might see soon is Andrey Verontsevich, also of CSKA. Very raw and rather mechanical in terms of post moves, but very athletic and has decent size at power forward - about 6´10 but only 230/240 pounds. I heard the Thunder has interviewed him recently if thats anything to go by - before they signed Thabeet i guess.

Thats my two cents guys!

Reply #374247 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah Vorontsevich is a nice player with a very nice touch on his jumper. Inconsistent (perhaps soft?) but talented.

The thing I see with Shved is he doesnt have NBA PG handles, Im not sure he can guard SGs in the NBA, and I know he cant guard PGs as he really struggles defending on-balls.

We have seen in the past two games when Spain and Aus have gone at him Blatt has fixed him to the bench, and Blatt really likes him.

I think he is behind Ingles in terms of developing his body and defence, but he does have a brilliant feel for the offensive game. Agree he is a small risk worth taking for the T-Wolves though. Hopefully someone will think the same of Joe after he gets more opportunities for Barce.

Reply #374261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/durant-leandro-barbosa-joe-ingles-chamberlain-oguchi-podium-025417401--oly.html

Article on the tournaments best players

Reply #374876 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:43 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754