anon
Years ago

What is everyones opinion on this rule?

A player was fould while in the act of shooting within a few seconds of the three quater time break. The league in which it occurs the clock does not stop so time expired before the player took his free throws. Most players just walked off to their respective benches. I stood behind the shooter a step or two behind the three point line to watch (I was not saying anything mouthing off our otherwise just standing there) The ref demanded that I leave the court immediately and I was not permitted on the Court while the free throws were taken. I did not respond and stood there (again without saying anything)so I received a tech foul and was told that if did not leave I would be thrown out! I walked to the bench albeit slowly. I admit that I should have just gone to the bench in the first place even if the ref is wrong as they have the authority and the power of the whistle rules. I would just like some others thoughts on whether I was entitled to remain on the court while free throws were taken.

Topic #28907 | Report this topic

Naph  
Years ago

http://www.fiba.com/downloads/Rules/2012/OfficialBasketballRules2012.pdf

Art. 38 Technical foul

38.1 Rules of conduct

38.1.1 The proper conduct of the game demands the full and loyal cooperation of the players and team bench personnel with the officials, table officials and commission-ner, if present.

38.1.3 Any deliberate or repeated non-cooperation or non-compliance with the spirit and intent of this rule shall be considered as a technical foul.

As it happens, I think you were entitled to stand where you were standing. However, whether the ref is right or not, he can give you a technical for the deliberately violating 38.1.1

Reply #372927 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Thanks Naph

Thought I could stand there, never seen it before where everyone must be on the bench.

Acknowledge she was able to give me the tech for disobeying her instructions, I just find it difficulty to obey/comply with instructions that are wrong!
Just to clarify if I had of been mouthing off or attempting to put him off or something I realise that would be wrong but for once I didnt do anything or mouth off!

Reply #372979 | Report this post

T-Peezy  
Years ago

I would've stayed there as well cos even though the clock had expired, technically the play was still going so you have a right to be on the court. Is there a rule stating that teams must go to their bench at end of quarters? Don't think there is so why should you be made to go there??

Reply #372983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams must stay on the court until he has finished shooting his free throws anyway as the quarter has finished until he does shoot them

Reply #373108 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

thankyou for confirming my thoughts.

Reply #373153 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:04 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754