badassmofo
Years ago

Boomers next games

out of china, GB and russia....how many gamers of the 3 will we win....ill go on the record now and say 1 win from 3....this is the weakest boomers outfit in over 2 decades!!!

Topic #28909 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anderson, baynes and ingles are the only three player's out ove that team that are gd enough! Rest a selfish, espicaly mills n that wolf dude with the floaters thinking his playing u/10s! Why they pick gibbo n pc? Free holiday! Pc shot the lights out last season n still cant get a gig!

Reply #372953 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Things werent looking too good in 2008 after two games either but we won our last three to qualify for the QFs. This team doesnt look as organised or professional as in 2008, but things can turn around quickly with one good performance.

Id be very surprised if we dont spank China, our fullcourt pressure will really trouble their guards. GB on the other hand will be tough if we dont hit shots, because they are good defensively and incredible on the boards.

Reply #372958 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

It beggars belief that Matty Neilsen is playing and Julian Kazzouh and Nathan Jawai are not.

Reply #372961 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Agree Woody!

Reply #372963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree about nielsen, he is such a dud, doesn't do anything to help the team, just commits stupid fouls. Jawai should be playing and starting in this team, he's got the size and strength to match gasols, nene, splitter, mozgov, kaun. Our team looks so small against these guys.
We will definately be favourites to beat China, but not certain, and beating Great Britain will be easier said then done. No hope against Russia, who i think will push Spain all the way, and will be pretty competetive against the USA if they play.

Reply #372965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, i reckon this is the weakest boomers team we've seen in a while also. Although the level of competition has improved dramatically, i remember when Spain were easy beats and China were just plain terrible. Great Britain didn't even compete at Olympics or World Champs because they sucked. So it's a bit of both really, Boomers are not as strong and the competition is a lot stronger.

Reply #372966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The boomers desperately need to find there shooting touch to overcome China and GB, i know even if we beat those 2 and lose to russia, we'll play the USA, but it's always fun to watch the aussies play the dream team. At least we can say we lost to the champs.

Reply #372967 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

We have lost 2 from 2 games so far, but they were against teams that were expected to be in medal contention. Brazil are good, and yet if we shot better and/or turned it over less - we win that game.

Spain are ranked #2 in the world are have been slated by all punters and experts alike as the only team that could be able to challenge the USA for gold.

We had a tough start to the competition, but we still have a chance to win the games that everyone would have expected us to be able to win - against China and GB. Russia is a 50/50 chance.

We are still well in contention to finish top 4 of our group, and still a chance at 3rd spot.

Pre-Olympics I was hopeful of a top 2 spot within our group, but realistically 3rd or 4th were more likely. We arenlt there yet, but we are still well in contention. Way too early to write the Boomers off just yet. Having said that, we need to beat China.

IF we won our next 3 games to finish 3rd, how many people on this forum would change their tune?

As for Nielsen, I agree he has not done a whole lot offensively, but I would argue he has done well defensively. We do not need 5 star players on court, we need a team out there and everyone to play their role. Nielsen I believe is doing just that, but whether someone else could have done that role better is the question that could be asked.

Reply #372970 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Well said, LC - "We do not need 5 star players on court, we need a team out there".

The only team-work on offense I see out there is the Delly and Baynes tandem. For a bunch of guys who have played together a bit, the boomers have been disappointing. I don't see much sign of players making four or five passes to get someone free for the shot they want and will make.

Are there any stats anywhere on how many passes happened before someone jacked up a shot? I think we'd be pretty low.

Spain had the individual skills and the size to go 1 on 1 all the time, but still had 21 assists. We on the other hand are a team which needs to rely a lot more on working together to get people free for a good shot, and we only had 14. Against Brazil we also had 14.
That says to me that there's too much isolation play and not enough team-work, and that's not going to work against bigger or better or smarter teams.

Reply #372981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see Marty Clarke has taken the same winning ways from the '36ers to the Boomers team. He is noth9ing if not consistent.

Reply #372985 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Couldn't agree more with the Nielson out, Jawai Khazzouh in sentiment. Why even pick Barlow and with Crawford on the bench surely we went in a big or two short

We really need front court depth. These good front courts have smashed us and we honestly look like midgets out there. At least with a couple more bigs we could have conserved some fouls without looking that much worse.

Reply #372988 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

We arent 50/50 against Russia LC, they are at a similar level to Spain, it will take a great effort on our behalf to win that one.

Reply #372990 | Report this post

Jan  
Years ago

I agree with a lot of whats been said about our bigs
but our guards are too slow for this level and that this why Della is shooting long range runners and Gibson , Wothington and co fouls when they are on the court.
At least Martin would of been able to guard perimeter players?
Plus Martin would have given a better presence to run the team.

Reply #373013 | Report this post

NJS  
Years ago

Party Mills drives me mental. Even Andrew Gaze, the most optomistic of them all, was tiring of his 'shoot first second and third/ pass fourth when there's 2 seconds left on the shotclock' ways.
At no stage did he realise he was having a terrible shooting night and decide to start setting up his team mates.

Reply #373017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if Patty feels the weight of Australia is on his shoulders? promising signs but to inconsistent, not confident on how to score and to quick to foul cheaply giving +1's

Reply #373027 | Report this post

Harry Balls  
Years ago

I'm with LC too.

The draw makes us look bad because we're winless but all 3 teams we're yet to play are FIBA ranked below us (yes, China and Russia are IMMEDIATELY below us so it's not like we're huge favourites...and GB play well above their ranking but...wait a minute, who's side am I on here?)

Anyway, if we had Russia's draw we'd likely be unbeaten (as they are) but they're probably going to get their arses handed to them by Spain and Brazil in the next 2 games and will come into the final game against us on a 2 game skid.

Anyway, we CAN win all 3 games and finish 3rd in our Group. If we put a run of form like that togehter we CAN give 2nd place in Group A a hell of a fight in the crossover.

Reply #373028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We would need everything to go right for us to beat Russia but yes we should beat China & GB.

Reply #373029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A true sign of a good player is what they can do outside of their main strength, when that main strength isn't working. A PG that shoots 5-16 with 0, yes 0, once again 0 assists scares me just a little.....

Reply #373033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fiba rankings don't mean jack really, Russia are a superior team to Australia, they've got some seridus talent on that team. China and GB will be no pushover, they've got good enough players to worry the boomers. Would be great to beat all 3 teams and avoid the USA, but realistically our best outcome will probably be the dream team in the quaters.

Reply #373050 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Russia only lost one game at the Eurobasket last year, they are very well coached and one of the worlds best teams - I've tipped them for bronze. Ignore their ranking, it is low because they had a down patch from 03-06 but they will jump after this tourny.

Reply #373057 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:37 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754