LC
Years ago

London 2012: Boomers vs China

Boomers take on China in what is really a must-win game tonight at 8:15pm AEST (7:45pm Adelaide).

China lost to Spain by 16 and got done by Brazil by 19 and therefore are 0/2 just like the Boomers.

Yi is averaging a near double-double for the two games so far, with 23 & 9.

We improved on taking care of the ball against Spain, but still shot poorly. We need to get the ball through many hands on offence and nail some shots to restore some confidence.

Topic #28922 | Report this topic

Cozmo  
Years ago

This is Brad Newleys game expect a lot of dunks. Baynes will also take control as well, but please oh god...Let patty at least drop one 3 pointer tonight...

Reply #373110 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Defnitely a must win. Are 9 showing this or is it another live stream deal?

Reply #373115 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't think you can ever trust Ch 9 to show a full game. Might get bits and pieces. Get First Row bookmarked and ready, IMO.

Can't believe wily old Wang Zhizhi still gets around for China. Looks older than 35!

Reply #373117 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Surely we have to click by now. shots have to drop.

Reply #373122 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Saw an interview on Foxtel with Patty Mills last night.

Almost fell off my chair when he said they'd generally executed their offense fairly well in the two games so far, and that the Boomers were traditional slow starters.

WTF?!

Reply #373136 | Report this post

nichola  
Years ago

The team needs to regather confidence and get their offence back in check. I'd love to see the boost they'll get when Patty drops a 3!

Reply #373140 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Hoopie could not agree more .
Unlike Opals I never expected this team to do that well but apart from showing character they just not taking chances presented with poor offence and shooting. Mills shooting has been a joke and needs to penetrate and provide open shots for others.
We are not a small team so like to see Bigs get a bit more mongrel around ring

Reply #373141 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Their focus, or at least supposedly, was to not be slow starters any more and get some early win's in the tournament.

To hear Patty say they are still slow starters is a little disheartening.

It's Beijing all over again unfortunately.

Reply #373155 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Doubt it will be as good as Beijing, but anything can happen. Tonight they have to make sure they pile on the pressure and dont let China get into their sets or their preferred halfcourt D. We dont want to get bogged down and turn it into a shooting contest.

Reply #373165 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

It's not the NBA Brett Brown!

Like to see Goorg back in 4 years!!

Reply #373180 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's not like we haven't been getting shots - they're just not going in. If we'd hit just a couple more threes (not unreasonable to expect from Mills, Ingles and Newley), we'd be 1-1 after beating Brazil and at least forcing Pau Gasol to play a few more minutes.

Reply #373188 | Report this post

Fletch  
Years ago

Brown better play pc this game if the team is shooting as poorly as they have been. These are must win games. The others were expected losses. You gotta use the tools your given, can't go down wondering from here.

Reply #373193 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

We havent really been creating a lot of wide open shots.

Realistically we copped more of a break to be able to make the score respectable against Brazil with their better shooters missing some good looks than we robbed ourselves of victory by our poor shooters missing theirs.

Reply #373195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time and time again watching the current Boomers and Opals continually miss open shots at this level and also the Adelaide teams last year, it reminds me of the intro to the "Swish" shooting DVD's I used to use with my under 12's -

"Shooting, the most important skill in basketball and the skill that is least taught properly".

Good shooting was a significant factor in those past big wins by Greece and Argentina.

Reply #373205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, bring back Goorjian!!!!!!!!!

Reply #373215 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

A shooting slump for the whole team? Just need 1 to start hitting some shots...Just 1!!
Give us something to cheer about...as opposed to venting our frustrations out on Hoops.com and bagging the team!

Reply #373227 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah cos Goorjian teams always shot the ball well (rolls eyes).

Agree with anon 373205 though. Lets hope the AIS is putting a greater emphasis on shooting for our upcoming basketballers.

Reply #373228 | Report this post

MWP  
Years ago

I'm a huge fan of Patty Mills but as some stage Patty has to show us a better range of shot selection in London. When Patty gets the ball in offensive transition he is almost unstoppable with his quickness to get to the rim. Just need you Patty to play a bit more to your strenghts & put the 3 ball away for the moment. Would like to see Patty splitting the wing onball screen & creating some havoc within the key & creating easy close to basket scores for our big. Must win for us tonight Boomers!

Reply #373231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PREDICT THE SCORE

Personally aus 77 china 69

Reply #373232 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Ok seem to be missing shots early on......Maybe still warming up??

Reply #373236 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Thankyou Mills!!

Reply #373237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can someone post score updates as nine is not showing this game

Reply #373238 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

China 15 Australia 8. 3:24 to go in first.

Reply #373239 | Report this post

kobe  
Years ago

game is here:

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/watch/133365/1/watch-olympic:-australia-vs-china.html

FREE!

Reply #373240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

finally hitting those 3s but china going off as well

Reply #373241 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

22-21 end of first. Some good points..we have started hitting from the outside! Bad points..our D is pretty ordinary.

Reply #373242 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Something you don't see very often. Got the translator there in the Chinese timeouts.

Reply #373243 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

Goorjian would be an upgrade over Brown... but for my money, I'd take Beveridge. Remember, the reason Goorjian wasn't renewed was because he supposedly wasn't good at preparing teams for tournaments. Beveridge has the runs on the boards in tournaments, has great respect of the current generation of Boomers & is respected internationally (eg. Nike Summit)

Reply #373244 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ingles starts 2nd quarter on fire...two consecutive and-one's...both going left!

Australia up 32-27.

Reply #373246 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Ingles looking good. Neilson struggling.

Reply #373247 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Andersen with a 3 and foul - going for a 4-point play!

Reply #373248 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

PPPAAATTTTTTYYY!!!

Reply #373249 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Anderson beasting!

Reply #373251 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Ingles just missed two straightforward layups...but on the second miss it was recovered and Mills hits a treble instead! Now up 42-30! Defensively we are doing a lot better now too...

We are getting everyone involved on offense and we look so much better doing so. Hence Andersen has hit shots, Ingles making good decisions, and Mills getting the ball into the hands of others and making the most of open looks...

Reply #373252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who said Andersen couldn't defend!

Reply #373253 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Australia went on a 16-3 run...

Andersen has 13 points so far...

Reply #373254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

andersen you champ

Reply #373255 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

On channel 9 now...

Reply #373256 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Hey Zues hits the court

Reply #373257 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

no barbers in Spain... gold

Reply #373258 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Lol Rasheed was thinking the same..Yetti!!

Reply #373259 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

no barbers in Spain... gold

Reply #373260 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Boomers up 49-33 at half time...

Really good defence in that 2nd quarter helped spark the offence.

Hitting shots from long range, and getting to the rim.

Andersen 15pts, Mills 12pts, Ingles 8pts.

Reply #373261 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Loving Drewey's special comments, agree with Young Gun - no barbers in Spain comment gold.

Reply #373263 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Drewy has been great, and I must say that Casey has been good in my books too...

Reply #373264 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Nice to see us playing with some confidence. Not hard to do against China though - they really aren't very good.

Very happy to see Mills trying to get the ball into our big guys this game instead of doing his best Kobe impersonation.

Also good to see Andersen backing himself and Ingles continuing to drive the basketball.

Lets hope these guys continue to play with the same confidence against the bigger names of Russia and GB.

Reply #373265 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Wish I was getting the Aussie commentary. I have visions of Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd right now! "Ooooh where do I get a waaaa-bbit"

Reply #373266 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Close out, stop jumping!!!

Reply #373267 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Quit jumping Patty!!

Reply #373268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nielsen looks a step too slow now

Reply #373269 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

A couple of soft turnovers early in offence saw China nail back to back trebles to see the margin cut back down to 10 points 51-41.

Shipeng for China 6/7 from downtown!

Reply #373271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's embarrassing to see some one hit an open three because players close out like amateurs sheesh

Reply #373272 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Shipeng ball is now on fire

Reply #373273 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Shipeng hits another to be 7/8 from downtown!

C9 back showing the basketball...

Reply #373274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Dellavedova rooming with Baynes?

Reply #373275 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

@Beantown - I see the point you are trying to make, but counting GB as a bigger name is a bit of a stretch for mine.
FIBA
China - 10
GB - 43

Granted, Luol Deng is pretty good.....even with only one wrist.

* These rankings are laughable I'll grant you (China ranked higher than France and Russia) but my point being they are both what you would consider lightweights.

** This is my friend Mr Wang Zhizhi.......no offence.

Reply #373276 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

They link well together on offence thats for sure!

Ingles shooting poorly in this game from the field and the free throw line...

Reply #373277 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

PC!!!

Reply #373278 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

PC checks in!!!

Reply #373279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with trying out PC but why the hell is he putting him in now over yesterday in place of barlow when he wasnt doing jack shit for the last 7 minutes

Reply #373280 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

PC shoots immediately and his shot got deflected.

Boomers still leading 61-52 at 3 quarter time.

Reply #373282 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

I see the Boomers are running their strict NO CUTTING offensive sets again

Reply #373283 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

Nice elbows Ando.

Reply #373284 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Our best 2 big men in Baynes and Andersen are now both on 4 fouls...we look better with these guys on court...

Reply #373285 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Very small lineup!!! How come no Maric?

Reply #373286 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Channel 9 back showing the hoops...

Reply #373287 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I think the best hope of Barlow finding a barber in Spain is for him to be signed by Seville....

Reply #373288 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I think Brown has lost confidence in Maric...

Reply #373289 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Get that outta here!!!

Reply #373290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont think maric has been confident enough this olympics

Reply #373291 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Yeah injury still bothering Maric?
Come on Patty pass it!! Don't go amongst the trees!

Reply #373293 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Mills makes 3 poor decision in a row...rejected on a breakaway, missed a transition triple, and then rejected on another breakaway...

Reply #373294 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

C'mon Patty, blocked 3 times now pull it out.

Reply #373295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just when I say that Pat Mills is playing smart and good he goes and starts playing silly ball.

Reply #373296 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Gee Delly has great vision and a brilliant waiter...

Reply #373297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ugly second half lucky china have been playing even worse

Reply #373298 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Mills finally finds range again and Australia start 4th with a 9-0 run. Defensively we are killing it.

Reply #373299 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Really like Worthington's aggression tonight

Reply #373301 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

This is an average team we're playing guys the Spanish must have been having a snooze

Reply #373302 | Report this post

The Key  
Years ago

China , no fight. Little bit of blood and they go to water.
Keep that in mind for next time we play them.

Reply #373303 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Boomers back up by 20...

Good ball movement to find Mills for three, and then great D by Nielsen on Yi to spark a transition dunk by Newley via Ingles.

Reply #373304 | Report this post

Jim Bert  
Years ago

Even though it has been convincing it's not a performance that will have the Russians running scared. Considering how poor China were in the second half the Boomers should have won by a lot more. While we are clearly still a long way off the level that's required to challenge for a medal, we are starting to play to our strengths and there are some positive signs.

I still think Nielson gets way too much playing time, however this may be due to Anderson's foul trouble and BB's reluctance to go to Aleks Maric (is he injured?).

Patt Mills has absolutely no basketball IQ.

Reply #373305 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Yi just pulled a heart muscle for China after Wortho banked a jumper...

Reply #373306 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

LC the medical term for that is a Heartilage

Reply #373307 | Report this post

Jim Bert  
Years ago

Delly and Baynes are really starting to play well together. They have a good understanding of eachother's game.

Reply #373309 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Crawford with a tip in at the buzzer to score his first Olympic points...we win 81-61.

Mills had 20, Andersen 17, Ingles 13, Baynes 8, Delly & Wortho 7 each.

Ingles had 7 assists, Delly had 5 and Wortho 4.

Wortho had 8 rebounds, Ingles and Newley 7 each.

We shot 8/24 from downtown.

10 turnovers, 28 assists...

Full stats here: http://www.london2012.com/basketball/event/men/match=bkm400b07/doc=stats.html

Reply #373311 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well we got the win we badly needed so that's good, but I agree with all above that is was hardly clinical. Mills was embarrassing in the second half.

At the end of the day it doesnt matter how though, we got the win and now have to pull all stops out for GB to get ourselves through to where we belong.

Reply #373312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is there a morroccan athlete with the surname lamb ?

commentator...... and here comes the morraccan, lamb.

sorry i digress.....

Reply #373313 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

1 game at a time. Hopefully we can improve on tonight's performance when we play GB. Did anyone else see tape under Patty's knee brace? Wonder if he's hurting a bit, he seemed a bit slower tonight and was getting killed on d.

Reply #373314 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

@Jim Bert, I was thinking during the game Union Olimpia should sign Dellavedova, because while neither he nor Baynes are great players individually, when they team up on that pick and roll it's pretty darn effective.

Will be interesting to see how GB and Russia defend it now theyve had time to look at it.

Reply #373315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jim Bert: Thank you finally someone said it.
No BBALL IQ. Offensively he is nothing more but an undersized shooter. There's your answer for those asking why he doesn't play more in the NBA.

Reply #373317 | Report this post

Jim Bert  
Years ago

It's funny that everyone has been calling for Crawford to get minutes yet all three of his perimeter shots were completely off! Understandable after all that bench warming I suppose but still.

Reply #373318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Latrentis: He has been getting killed on D since the Brazil Game. Still having nightmares about Huertas.....

Reply #373319 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GB are much like China... they only have 2 impact players, but sometimes thats enough to cause the upset. It hurt me to watch some of the horrible offense that happened and some of the terrible shooting... there are social teams who execute beter on offense then the boomers do. I can definitely see why maric is out of favour, I am yet to see him do anything useful.. Mills.. wake up mate! do you WANT to get blocked again or something??? My heart smiled when he did get blocked, because i felt it might be a lewarning experience for young patty... but seems the boy doesnt learn THAt quick!

Reply #373320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wanted to see PC get playing time over Barlow in the game vs Spain after Barlow had been playing awful and we were already down 20 or something anyway, not so much when the game was still up for grabs before halftime today

Loved wortho's hustle yet again
Only thing really positive from the past few games has been the defense
Mills, ingles, newley & maric need to step it up for us to have a shot at avoiding USA in the 2nd round and getting past whoever we face

Reply #373321 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Jingles is now such a complete player. he is our key. he is our best player. really enjoy watching his game. good decisions most of the time, very good passer, streaky shooter, get ride the bump on the way to the hoop. very good Jingles. Dave Andersen played well although i think he missed a couple of easy put backs under the hoop. Wortho did well. outside shot fell away badly in the 3rd quarter and think we only scored 11 or 12 points. still my worry

Reply #373326 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Jingles is now such a complete player. he is our key. he is our best player. really enjoy watching his game. good decisions most of the time, very good passer, streaky shooter, get ride the bump on the way to the hoop. very good Jingles. Dave Andersen played well although i think he missed a couple of easy put backs under the hoop. Wortho did well. outside shot fell away badly in the 3rd quarter and think we only scored 11 or 12 points. still my worry

Reply #373327 | Report this post

Lance_Uppercut  
Years ago

Andersen seems to miss the easiest of shots close to the hoop but is capable of making very difficult turnaround jumpers and threes with some regularity

Reply #373329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've been a big supporter of dellevadoa. but I am beginning to hate his floaters... he just took far too many tonight and they werent dropping.

Reply #373330 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Delly was only 2/4 FG tonight so he didnt really take too many but I get your point, in previous games its been half his shots.

It is weird tho, he almost never took that shot at St Mary's till last season and even then he never shot it much.. its like he's too scared to go for a layup, he should start working on a pull up jumper or something

Reply #373334 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Delly was practicing floaters at the Boomers training camp in Perth. Its clearly no surprise to the coaching staff. I imagine he's been told he doesn't have enough quickness/elevation to get a shot off inside at the next level so he's working on alternatives.

Reply #373361 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Yes sircreate seems like AIS etc not coaching pull up jump shot which is one of easiest shots as too many of young players like Della and watching Creek all last season with no shot if cant crash through to ring.
Guess my views on coaching different to others as never ever want to see Goorg coaching Boomers .
Really think Brown doing a good job as got team back into games and really
on the international scene we are not that good a team really with only a real fringe NBA player as marquee player who playing very average and poor on court marshal.
How the hell did Nielsen get captain still the jerk he was in NBL

Reply #373363 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:22 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754