Anon12
Years ago

Why's Laura Hodges getting no Opals time?

After watching the Opals vs Brazil noted that Laura Hodges (Summerton) didn't see any minutes AGAIN.
Against Great Britain, only player not to see court time and did not appear in game against France.
Laura - quality player - particularly defence, who has had good stats while playing in Europe and yet can't even get on the court for the Opals.
Seemed to be moving OK in the warm-ups yet Coach Graf (of the white shoes) does not appear to favour Laura.
I wonder what Coach Buckle thinks of the situation given that Laura has been recruited by the Lightning?
And NO I am not a relative etc of Laura, just a Lightning fan who has always been impressed by Laura's work ethic as a basketballer.

Topic #28924 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

There are always going to be decent players that ride the pine at this level. A lot of competition at various positions.

Reply #373118 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

Interesting post on Fcebook by hubby re no court time. Been taken down now but pretty blunt message to Graf.

Reply #373124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's ridiculous she hasn't seen a minute of time. We could have used her against France.

Graffy is struggling and proving that she is not up to the international level.

Is it true that if (and I mean if) we medal, and Laura doesn't see any court time, she doesn't get a medal?

Reply #373126 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

I agree in why Laura has not played as many times could have as lets face it most players are struggling .
Their game against Brazil after some early good D and actually passing to Liz
properly early was terrible especially from team rated top 2 .
And until they can find someone that actually nail a jump shot or pp[en 3 then we will be lucky to make semis .
Backovic and Liz c in last game and lesser extent Richards could be happy with their game.
Yes Jackson is a star and got points when team going down sewer in last game .
But not dominating or really putting it to opposition and not too sure why but could have something to court systems that are ordinary at best from my view and agree Graf struggling and Maher killed her against G B .
Who watching Harrower hatch the ball reminds you of Clarke Sixer point guards. Boy it is frustrating .

Reply #373137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harrower is sad to watch she isn't half the player she used to be, we look so much better with O'Hea, Richards, Bat Girl on court

Reply #373145 | Report this post

Years ago

If not playing Laura should have taken another guard - Laura not alone mcleod not seeing court as well.

Reply #373149 | Report this post

Opal Fan  
Years ago

How on earth do you get 12 players mins in a 40 min game???? People are already complaining the rotations are too quick, so going deeper down the bench just makes the problem worse.
Realistically you only go 8 deep in a 40 min game if you're sticking with a lineup to get consistency... I think peoples expectations of court time are unrealistic.

Reply #373159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll tell you how, GET SCREEN OFF THE COURT!!

Reply #373163 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

Opal Fan did Mcleod win MVP at the Gf this year and can not be roated for brief minutes for Harrower.

Reply #373164 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I dont know much about womens basketball but I have been watching the Opals this last week and IMO Harrower looks very old on the court.

No offence to her she obviously has the experience and talent it takes to play at this level but her style looks like under 14s? Dribble up the court at an average pase, maybe fake, turn around - back down a player, pick up the dribble pass to someone at the top of the key, repeat.

The team looks alot fresher when someone else is running the point.

Also with my limited knowledge on womens basketball I find the coaching abit underwhelming. In the France game I am sure she took off whoever got a couple shots in a row in every single time. Have you heard of momentum?!

Reply #373172 | Report this post

Justsayin  
Years ago

I think she looks really good!

Reply #373175 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

All other teams seem to be much more aggressive in attack on ball and drive to basket and rebounding.
Playing safe getting us nowhere .
Learn from what seen Harrower ball handling handcuffing us .
Screen not up to it .
Apart from that half court shot how many has she missed and was set up as 3 point closing shot in 1st game.

Reply #373178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who is laura's husband???

Reply #373192 | Report this post

Macy G  
Years ago

I think simply, if you're going to take a player to 'ride to pine' at this event, probably more beneficial to take a player that can use the experience and will be better for it in 4 years time. Laura certainly doesn't need the experience so it seems a wasted selection. With that in mind, there's no logical reason to pick her (although we did see the same thing happen to Brett Maher!).

Reply #373201 | Report this post

Macy G  
Years ago

And following on from that, there's not a lot of logic to Graf's coaching so understandable. I did read a previous post from someone saying it's because there's 'no Penny Taylor' but from memory, they finsihed 5th at the last World Champs with Taylor / Jackson so I'm sure we can keep finding excuses for Graf, but if she fails at these Olympics, BA can't possibly continue with her.

Reply #373203 | Report this post

Opal Fan  
Years ago

Kath has years ahead of her, Harrower and Richards are done after this Olympics and frankly are better options at this level at the moment.
Kath is 3rd in line in that "3 way" so yes, i can see why she isn't getting on, if there's an injury or blow out she will probably see mins then.

Reply #373204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Laura married Tim Hodges(played in the ABA) this time last year

Reply #373217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rosters need to be reduced to 10, simple as that. Why humiliate someone by not playing them. This hurts personally and we all know it so why do it.

Reply #373222 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Harrower plays good D and controls the floor. She may not be a scorer but is a starter for obvious reasons. I agree that Graf will need to be replaced after this year if we don' medal.
Opals have looked flat every game thus far. We can't expect 1 player to bail us out every game. Thought Batkovic played great against Brazil.
We definitely are missing a pure outside shooter and someone who can penetrate and score or dish off. Would be nice to have a female version of Patty Mills on the Opals!!

Reply #373225 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

Haven't seen all of their games but would make the following comments anyway:
- against France we seemed to come up against a team which was more athletic than us at EVERY position.
- Screen, for all the crticism she cops on here, is one of the few who can hold her head high. Sheis playing her role (defensive stopper) to perfection and regularly comes up with essential effort plays.
- Maybe it's the uniforms (which are awful) but hardly any of the players look fit - (GB looked MUCH fitter than us)
- They can't shoot unless they are wide open which tends not to happen a whole lot at this level (or Snelly is guarded by two players and in her own half!)

All of that leads me to believe we have been left behind because of our current generation of 'superstars'. The women's game has moved on enormously in the past five years and the singular abilities of Loz and Penny (not to ignore their supporting cast) have masked the degree to which we have been left behind. We are only now going to start to see by just how much.

I am not a hockey fan by any stretch but it is genuinely exciting watching the men's team - now there's a coach (Charlesworth) who is rotuinely ahead of where the world game is heading.

Reply #373250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Latrentis we have a player sitting at home that is more valuable to the opals then party mills is to the boomers. I seriously can't believe Erin phillips isn't in this side, because obvisously this training camp she missed isnt doing the girls too good.

Reply #373322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree - this team needs an Erin Phillips! My concern is that Federal funding for sport appears to be driven by international success. With the way our two teams are currently performing I worry that funding could be reduced in the coming years.

Reply #373346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Screen was TERRIBLE at guarding the on-ball screen in the French game!
She hustles but for not much output, and actually takes things off the table at international level. Carly Wilson can do everything she does defensively and is much better offensively. Tess Madgen whilst a different type of player would also be better for us.

Hodges it looks like is injury backup (or for blowout mins which we are not good enough to get by the looks) for the bigs. McLeod similary for the PGs (though I'd rather see her on than Harrower). Don't know why anyone is suprised, someone has to be the 11/12th players, it was always going to be McLeod at PG judging by the leadup mins spread, and was between Jarry/Bishop/Hodges for the bigs depth, looks like the coaches have gone with the first two.

Reply #373360 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Then what has Jarry done to take some minutes away from Hodge

Reply #373365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree #360 Screens hustle is just bluff. She throws her body around, but it often results in fouls. Defensive stopper? I'm not convinced she has the ability to stop anyone at an international level.

Reply #373373 | Report this post

Macy G  
Years ago

And what has Bishop done? Certainly doesn't look like she's up to international standard!

Reply #373389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking at French and USA we seem to need more athletic players Jarry is not that type of player. At WNBL she is a hard competitor at this level not quite the right player. Even Bishop is not the athletic 191 cm player that other teams have. The way forward may be a rethink as to the type of team balance they require to defend and score against such opposition.

Reply #373397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I play abit of basketball myself and play aba with a girl who was in the aussie squad and don't think that this is a great team we have. We definitely need a guard like Erin Phillips in there and instead of Abby Bishop, Maryanna Tolo or Cayla Francis. Also think that Laura should be seeing the court more and Graf needs to know when to put her players out there for different situations!

Reply #375055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How old is Kristy looking now??

Reply #375247 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:44 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754