Neo
Years ago

CABL Finals Referees

That time of year again for speculation to begin.

With the supposed removal of the stupid 50 NBL game rule, we should see some extra depth this year compared to previous years.

Im thinking the 8 would be:

Haines
Filmer
McDonald
Durant
Wieland
Dyson
Devlin
Troy

And please no sniping or crap. Just proper discussion.

Topic #28925 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haines not available for some if not all, Troy out injured again. Devlin barely back surely not fit enough for finals. McDonald and Filmer would be looking at SEABL finals.

Reply #373166 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

agree with the above Haines unavailable for most of the finals especially gf as he will be in London for paralympics

Filmer & Macdonald will have their hands up for SEABL appointments

Devlin would have to be doubtful fitness wise, Troy out for season.

Leaves Durant, Dyson,Just, Wieland and alot of untrieds

Frost (Mark)
Domekia
White
Gillings

Reply #373168 | Report this post

An don't forget work commitments.

Reply #373169 | Report this post

Neo  
Years ago

Horror run for Troy. I knew he done his ankle (at a basketballSA venue in a pothole in a walkway). What has he done now?

My prediction was way off then. Much thinner than previous years.

Reply #373176 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

if consider that some of these struggle with under 23 games i think standouts are Durant,Dyson and Wieland. Time for the next tire to get serious about week in week out performances regarsdless of level - going through motions at times not dislaying consistency and game astuteness that the more experience refs displayed onevery outings. Durant Wieland GF shoe in

Reply #373179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is the next tier after this group no longer referee.

Neither do the tier after that.

We have two whole 'generations' of referees that got to ABA level then walked away from the game.

What we have left is a few referees barely at ABL level and certainly not ABA Finals quality.

Import some referees from Victoria for finals.

Reply #373233 | Report this post

Bronco  
Years ago

There are plenty of Vic Referee's who might be looking for games after quitting or getting fed up. There are allot of officials in Victoria unhappy with the current SEABL commissioner and the games he plays playing favorites, overtly hard on others and looking after himself.

Reply #373292 | Report this post

Off the mark  
Years ago

Some of you are off the mark I think as I believe Phil and Andy have both officiated this season and both want to do finals
Phil as far as he can before heading to London

My understanding is they would have done this in previous years if allowed

Reply #373359 | Report this post

yar  
Years ago

Haines,Filmer,Durant,Wieland,Just,Dyson,Mcdonald (7)

Ireland or Bruce Northcote (8)

Reply #373364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#233 has hit the nail on the head. We have a huge gap between the nine names in the post above mine, and the rest. After that there is a whole crop of referees who have been refereeing ABL for some time now, when reality is they are not up to it. Most of these should still be learning their trade at junior level.

Reply #373371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#233 has hit the nail on the head. We have a huge gap between the nine names in the post above mine, and the rest. After that there is a whole crop of referees who have been refereeing ABL for some time now, when reality is they are not up to it. Most of these should still be learning their trade at junior level.

Reply #373372 | Report this post

MJ @ Super  
Years ago

Perhaps those ABA officials who do not get a final could make there way out to the finals and watch how the games are ref'd?

Of course, they wont be perfect but the best way they can learn is to sit and watch closely how the top 8 go about there business in the more intensive finals games.

Then, they should try to emulate the same kind of work ethic and standard when they do a youth league game instead of strutting there stuff like it's all about them

Reply #373374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ireland ???????

Reply #373379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is that because of the shortage of decent referees, there is a big difference between simply being an ABL ref and "being an ABL-standard ref".

This is the problem. Some of these guys have been pushed ahead way before they were ready. As a result, their arrogance continues. Some of these guys need a reality check.

If I was a div 2 player and all of the div 1 team left, I'd be a div 1 player. This does not automatically make me a better player, just means I'm playing out of my depth.

Reply #373380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If I was a div 2 player and all of the div 1 team left, I'd be a div 1 player. This does not automatically make me a better player, just means I'm playing out of my depth."

Actually in most cases your club would see that they don't have div 1 level players and not nominate a div 1 side.

Doesn't work that way for refs.

Reply #373382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually in most cases they would not do that at all. There are teams at the bottom of Div 1 in pretty much all age groups that should not be there. Unfortunately most clubs continue to nominate them because under BSA policy they have a right to play Div 1. This is why rubbish clubs cpntinue to argue against pro/rel.

Sorry, but you're off the mark there.

Reply #373398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Actually in most cases your club would see that they don't have div 1 level players and not nominate a div 1 side."

If only that was the case & maybe we wouldn't have 80 point blowouts in div 1. But that's another story.

Reply #373399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And then clubs drop their top side to div 2 and still get abused on here.

So clubs can't win either way.

Reply #373405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong. it's not the fault of the clubs. They are just working within the guidelines laid out by BSA. Introduce pro/rel and the problem is solved.

Look, this has been done to death here and is off topic in any case. It won't be fixed any time soon.

Reply #373411 | Report this post

Rubbish  
Years ago

Rubbish, there are plenty of good ABL Ref's coming through ready to take it to the next level.

Gillings,Neil Frost,JG,James Brown to name a few but remember they are young and need time to get to the top but mark my words - they will!!

Also, Devlin & Dan Troy did finals last year so the standard is improving

Would be a good idea to give these young guys a chance this year with Phil,Andy & Benny Mac

Reply #373419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rubbish answer this then. Do you honestly believe any of those 4 would be refereeing BigV games?

Because they wouldn't and that's the point. They aren't as good as they/you think.

Reply #373434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the younger refs who get on here and talk themselves up do themselves a great disservice..
The thought that you are at the level to do finals is laughable.

Reply #373437 | Report this post

Off the mark  
Years ago

Ian D = good prospect

Reply #373443 | Report this post

Off the mark  
Years ago

I'm not a ref either but I think he is the only young ref I notice with solid skills

Reply #373444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rubbish, you are talking rubbish. You are proving the point that we are trying to make. Those guys are nowhere ready, and talking them up like that only makes the problem worse. Some of the refs that are already doing ABA are not ready, but they're still doing it.

Refereeing in SA is in a bad way, and as a result refs are officiating games that they shouldn't be doing. Please don't make it worse!

Reply #373450 | Report this post

Rubbish  
Years ago

Yes for sure, maybe not Big V first division men but yes certainly woman's

Reply #373460 | Report this post

No!  
Years ago

Who said Wieland and Durant are a shoe in for the final?
Nathan ??

Reply #373465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rubbish they're not even close, not even for women.

Just proving how over-rated you all are.

Reply #373467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The real issue is them being fast tracked.

Why have the people in front stopped? Was it work, availability or something within BSA that needs to be fixed?

Reply #373474 | Report this post

Rubbish, ARE YOU F%&KING ME????? Surely you are joking????

Those referee's are nowhere ready but as there is a current shortage they are being pushed ahead and because of this they think their shit doesn't stink and therefore have no respect for anyone not even senior referee's that try to help them. (JG perfect example)

5-7 years ago these kids wouldn't even be doing Summer time State League little own being a referee of ABL instead of the umpire.

Its not these kids fault they are being pushed into the spots but to get a big head over it and not being put in their place by the evaluators is disgusting and a joke.

Reply #373490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumour is M Gibson and N Bridgeman on the mens gf. Can this be confirmed....

Reply #373866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Ref I had for a district game couldn't even fill in the form with her first and last name, probably because she knows she's so biased one day it will come back to haunt her... Some great ump/refs out there trying their hardest to improve their trade, their profile, the image of their job.. Others out there are disgustingly lazy biased and GOD minded obsessed with "teaching lessons" and club hating...

BSA needs to pull rank and work harder to weed out the rot before the habits become ingrained..

Reply #373870 | Report this post

Jason Baile for the mens final

Reply #373998 | Report this post

Neo  
Years ago

The Verdict is in:

Forestville v North Men: Wieland/McDonald

West v Norwood Men: Filmer/Durant

North v Forestville Women: Devlin/Ireland

Centrals v Mavericks Women: Just/Domeika

Round Reserves: M.Frost/Smith

Surprising omission of Dyson? Ireland first finals game?

Reply #374750 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

Perhaps not available for Michelle.
I would imagine that Phil is also not able to do games before heading to the Olympics

Well done Nikki (First final I think)

Otherwise a good finals panel

Reply #374757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great panel, although let's all hope that one of those reserves is not required.

Reply #374785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As expected outside the National Panel crew SA refereeing is in serious trouble.

Reply #374791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really.... Ireland?
Poor girl has no communication skills, and i honestly wonder how she gets a game week in week out.
But than again, look at the reserves.....

Reply #374936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All fair points, but she's still a significant step up on her other half.

Reply #375098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So after all the complaing about the NBL 50 game rule, none of the Grand Final referees have refereed more than 50 games.

One is overseas and one is interstate doing SEABL Semi's over this State's Grand Final.

Reply #377422 | Report this post

not quite right  
Years ago

Anon, you are not quite right because this year those officials qualified to referee aba finals.

Phil would have done at least 1 final had he not been injured and Andrew did the first final before getting selected to Seabl which under the 50 game policy he could not do last year either

Also they both did plenty of games through the regular season so by allowing them do qualify for finals is good for the league all the way through the year

the previous rule was quite stupid actually

Reply #377554 | Report this post

the last game  
Years ago

For those wanting to know it's:

Mcdonald on the men with Durant
Wieland on the woman with Dyson

much better than last year IMO

Reply #377559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's Durant & Mcdonald on the men.

Reply #377562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what the ref of the year in the women doesnt get the gf

Reply #377567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No the ref of the year in the woman is far < than Mcdonald,Wieland & Dyson all of whom would not have been able to win the award because they ref men games throughout the year

The woman's teams get shafted by not having access to good officiating until the finals and then these officials have to adjust to umpiring woman's basketball for the first time all year

the person in charge should be sacked, replace him with the staff @ BSA who are already getting paid a wage to look after umpires

Reply #377574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shouldnt have been umpire of the year, couldnt ref a monkey fight

Reply #377578 | Report this post

MJ @ Super  
Years ago

but the coaches vote for him?

Reply #377580 | Report this post

Peepo  
Years ago

BAHAHAHA, if saw who was on the list then there was no-one else to choose from.

At least 4 women's coaches either didn't vote or choose referee's that weren't on the list of referee's to choose from which would have made their votes invalid.

Reply #377582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back Wayne!!

Reply #377595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I say BSA needs to regularly audit and review all umpires (without them knowing) so they can assess developmental areas and rate umpire experience by fact not fiction.

Reply #377603 | Report this post

laughable  
Years ago

Wayne "talk yourself up" Maidment
perhaps would have been a good way for him to finish at the top if he had won the award

Reply #377666 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:11 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754