TC
Years ago

Funny Paul Rees retires from NBL basketball?

Paul Rees has not been offered a new contract by the 36ers (Advertiser, 106). It has been great to have the Big Fella in Adelaide and I am sure he will be missed. In my humble opinion, there is nothing that beats Reesy knocking down a 3, it always brings the house down! Cheers to one of the most successful NBL players of all time!

Topic #2893 | Report this topic

thedoctor  
Years ago

We had better have another big lined up, or say goodbye to the season. What if Cooper goes down with an injury?

Reply #32865 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

(Mod: This post is not available.)

Reply #32867 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Congratulations on a stellar career Reesy. Going to miss - as Isaac put it - those slo-mo layups and knocking down a big three to really get the crowd going.

Reply #32869 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The most succesful centre in NBL history championship wise.

Sixers lost there way after Sapa was let go lets hope that the same does not happen without Reesy around the locker room.

Reply #32873 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Reesy- the best rebounder i ever did see who never jumped for the boards.

He will be missed and hopefully be kept in the club somehow like the afl clubs do.

Maybe walking around the stadium making sure the crowd is noisy....there you go Reesy the new Club Mascot!! Beats that bloody walking pie!

Reply #32874 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

thedoctor, is Truslove available to back up Cooper? If so, I think they'll sign him.

I thought they should've grabbed him before he went interstate too.

Reply #32877 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Not sure. I heard whispers a few weeks ago, then he went to China with NZ. Don't know whether this means he has signed again. I think he would be a good fit. He's a better player than when he was here last time.

At Canberra, he was getting good minutes and putting up decent numbers.

At NZ he was getting time until he got injured.

He will be a solid role player who will rebound well and hit screens. He has a reliable mid-range jump shot, and hits threes against Woodville in the ABL.

Let's hope the Sixers pick him up.

Reply #32881 | Report this post

Rock Lobster  
Years ago

Why doesn't reesy apply for the academy position. he has a great heart and has been to the top level. He would be great for the academy.

Reply #32886 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

We should have gone for Rampton.

I really hope Smyth has something up his sleeve because the quality on the free agents list is dwindling by the day.

Reply #32893 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

I agree ,hope the sixers announce a good big man signing soon.
Adelaide will have a bit more money to throw at Derek Moore now Rees is gone.

Reply #32989 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Word around seems to indicate that Rees and Ng will be replaced by development players and not someone like Derek Moore.

Reply #32994 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not sure that Hambour is back-up centre material. If he's a must in the roster, then something like this could be OK:

Maher/Hill
Farley/Nash
Holmes/Forman
Rychart/Hambour
Cooper/Truslove

Otherwise if there isn't someone of at least Truslove's calibre (couple of notches above development level) and Cooper gets injured, the team is in serious trouble. I wonder if getting Rees on a per-game contract would be feasible if that scenario eventuated?

Reply #33018 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

I'd be happy with that line-up Isaac.

Without question we need another big wide body who can split minutes with Cooper.

Pennisi or Moore would be ideal but both are probably too expensive or looking at Europe.

Truslove would be the next option.

Trying to be as optimistic as possible about being cheap with our final 2 roster positions, should Schenscher suddenly become available if he doesn't get a huge European deal immediately, we will not have to watch him join another NBL team because we have over paid someone like Moore.

Stranger things have happened like when Rogers suddenly became available and the 36ers couldn't sign both him and Brooks.

Reply #33035 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

It's a shame as reesy still has plenty to offer.

So the team manager role is being cut back to. what next no security on game nights, turn the lights over the crowd of and just run the court lights, hey why not turn all the lights off at half time that will save a few dollars too.

Reply #33138 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Pura Milk Sixers coaching staff have decided that veteran Paul Rees will not be part of the 2005/06 roster, due to there being only two positions available at present for next season.

At this stage, the coaches would like to keep these rookie spots for young development players who will be given the opportunity to try out for the team in a pre-season try-out session planned for June/July.

Fair to assume that the main contenders will be Hambour, Gerlach and Gower. For purposes of comparison, in 2003, the last two spots went to Oscar Forman (had played 27 games by that stage) and Matt Illman (had played 20 games by that stage). In 2002 they were Forman and Jacob Holmes, both from the AIS. In 2001, Mark Davis and Jason Williams. In 2000, Paul Bauer and Jason Williams.

Will they be competitive enough? If the club isn't insuring players, what will happen if someone from the main rotation is injured?

Reply #33256 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Hambour is playing well in the ABL,but im not sure how he would go playing pivot for the 36ers?
Cmon sixers sign a experienced big man or get Rees back again.
Sure people may mock Rees, but its a shame the big fella been dumped by the club.
Notice the club is goin to have a 2nd farwell dinner for Rees!

Reply #33313 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Come Back Please Big Fella

Reply #33914 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

im a great friend of paul, he was always my fav player and we will all miss him at adelaide. we hope now that adelaide dont go under because without reesy, anything could happen. i know the court sweeper jake and he may not come back if reesy isnt around. He is also a great fan of paul.

Reply #85884 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:33 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754