tyrell
Years ago

Setting a screen: face towards or away from defender?

After watching many games at the olympics I have noticed a trend by players to set their screens with the back to the defender they are setting the screen on. We here teach to screen facing the defender, but seems to be the otherway in some countries.

Thoughts?

Topic #28939 | Report this topic

Tornado  
Years ago

Probably feel they are less prone to an offensive foul as they arent looking at the player?

Reply #373381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And is actually against the rules. But a lot of what is allowed at Olympic games is actually against the rules according to FIBA

Reply #373383 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

I remember Greg Vanderjagt screening like that a few times when he played for GC.

Reply #373387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People do it so they can roll to the basket faster. So once they make contact with the screen they can just sprint to the basket, rather than turning and sprinting (rolling) like you do when you screen the normal way...again whether it is legal or not is another issue!!

Reply #373395 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I'm depressed by how much is allowed that is clearly against the FIBA rules that we try to coach into our players.

Most screens I see I would call illegal. The permitted number of steps is obviously 3 not 2. I think I'd better stop there and go take a lie-down.

Reply #373396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are allowed to screen an opponent with your back. There is nothing illegal about that, unless it breaks the existing screening rules

Reply #373401 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I saw too many bodies moving sideways, feet not planted, backsides outside the cylinder, leaning over to cause contact, ...

Really p..ses me off, because the kids I coach will start doing it and will get pinged for it !!

Reply #373420 | Report this post

athlete  
Years ago

Since when is setting a screen with your back to the defender illegal?

33.7 Screening: Legal and illegal
Screening is an attempt to delay or prevent an opponent without the ball from
reaching a desired position on the playing court.
Legal screening is when the player who is screening an opponent:
Was stationary (inside his cylinder) when contact occurs.
Had both feet on the floor when contact occurs.
Illegal screening is when the player who is screening an opponent:
Was moving when contact occurred.
Did not give sufficient distance in setting a screen outside the field of vision of a
stationary opponent when contact occurred.
Did not respect the elements of time and distance of an opponent in motion
when contact occurred. If the screen is set within the field of vision of a stationary opponent (front or
lateral), the screener may establish the screen as close to him as he desires,
provided there is no contact.
If the screen is set outside the field of vision of a stationary opponent, the screener
must permit the opponent to take one (1) normal step towards the screen without
making contact.
If the opponent is in motion, the elements of time and distance shall apply. The
screener must leave enough space so that the player who is being screened is able
to avoid the screen by stopping or changing direction.
The distance required is never less than one (1) and never more than two (2) normal
steps.
A player who is legally screened is responsible for any contact with the player who
has set the screen.

Learn the rules first!

Reply #373442 | Report this post

Opt  
Years ago

Baynes is only doing it when he's going to for a monster alley oop dunk. It's easier to read than my 2 year old sons book about spot.

Reply #373508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Problem is interpretation some refs just chose to ping people for what they interpret as illegal, like calling a reaching foul, no rule it's either a hold or push, some leagues make stupid interpretations and instruct ump/refs to desired outcome. Doesn't help when you play interstate and they rule differently. Heard 3 in the key has been interpreted here in SA??

Reply #373560 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Ass Screens Baby!!! Use to do it all the time. Ask the DR. Use to be a beneficiary of them

Reply #373586 | Report this post

3 seconds  
Years ago

The 3 second rule does involve interpretation from the officials, because first of all the offense has to be in the key for more than 3 seconds while the ball is in the front court

Secondly it requires a disadvantage so if the ball is up the top during the offense and not a threat to be thrown inside then it wont get called quickly

Thirdly if the player has been in the key for 3 seconds and the ball is passed to them then they are entitled to get a shot up without being called for 3 seconds.

This is why sometimes the ball is thrown in to the big fella and everyone yells for 3 seconds when it's thrown in but the ref's seem to ignore the call.

Can this be verified please by an active ref?

Reply #374026 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Problem is interpretation some refs just chose to ping people for what they interpret as illegal, like calling a reaching foul, no rule it's either a hold or push

---------------------------------------------------

It can actually come under 33.11 Contacting an opponent with the hand(s)and/or arm(s)

Reply #374032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 3 second rule is pretty black and white.

Any player who remains in the restricted area for longer than 3 second. An exception is made for a player who is attempting to shoot the ball, or move out of the restricted area.

The only interpretation is based on advantage/disadvantage or now coined 'offensive threat'.

Reply #374037 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Don't forget the rules come with another book on how to apply them. This being the most important part:

Make sure you know where the ball is when you call three (3) seconds and make sure you have counted three (3) seconds after you have seen the offensive player in the restricted area.

The better referees I have come across would never call three seconds without telling the player to move out of the key in the first place. Preventive officiating trumps the requirement to make a call any day in my book.

Reply #374200 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:29 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754