Anonymous
Years ago

Scenarios for the Boomers

Ok, its getting down to the business end of the competion right now... and we are 1 win 2 losses thus far with 2 more games to play.

We have Great Britian and Russia yet to play..

right now the standings are as follows

Spain 3-0
Russia 3-0
Brazil 2-1
Australia 1-2
China 0-3
Great Britain 0-3

SPain is yet to play Russia and Brazil. Russia is yet to play Australia and Spain. Brazil is yet to play Spain and China.

Ok... assuming Spain takes both of thoes games, Russia will be 3 wins 1 loss, Brazil will be 2 wins 2 losses.. assuming Brazil beat china Brazil will finnish with 3 wins and 2 losses.. If Russia loses to Spain they will be 3 wins 1 loss.. if they lose to Australia they wil be 3-2..

There could be a threwway tie if Australia beats Russia and Great Britian between Brazil, Russia and Australia... however if we drop any of these games, we will more then likely come 4th... or worse!

So what things will come into play if its a 3 way tie for 2nd place? will it be decided on head to head? because if so, thats sticky because if we were to win to russia, we would have a win on russia, yet russia has the win on brazil... then it could be on points? and if thats so.. I think right now we are plus 4... as we lost the first 32 games by a combined 16 points and won last night by 20 giving us 4.. does anyone know the win/loss margins for SBrazil/Russia? I am pretty sure Russia smashed out 20 point wins against China and GB which is a worry if points come into it.

Then theres the crossover...

Right now the standings in group A are

USA
France
Argentina
Lithuania
Nigeria
Tunisia

If we were by some sort of points miracle to get 2nd, we would come up against Argentina, If we come 3rd somehow... France.. if we come 4th. the USA..

Argentina, is aging and there game agsinst tunisia showed that they dont relaly have it anymore... they can beat us, but I feel like we may have a little more depth and just the right fitness level to take them down. we have already beaten france all be it by 2 points, I feel that we could beat them on our game but thats a 50/50 shot.. and USA... well that'll be lights out for us then...

Whats your thoughts?

Topic #28940 | Report this topic

balla11  
Years ago

thanks for posting this has been on my mind most of the day

Reply #373400 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

The Boomers goal heading into the tournament was top-3 in our pool. To achieve that, we will most likely need to win the two remaining games against GB and Russia. In the event of a tie (eg. both Brazil and Australia finish 3-2) it comes down to points difference (or 'goal average by division' as FIBA like to call it).

Currently we are +4 and Brazil are +8.

Reply #373402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sorry wouldnt brazil be +7 due to the 1 point loss to russia? and wouldnt it be a 3 way tie if we beat russia and GB?... I hope if we do beat either of thoes teams we dont get complacent and just drill hard to get as big a win possible... I still think the China game shouldve beena 30 point margin frankly.. Ok so now we have to think about scorelines... Id expect Brazil to beat china by anywhere between 7 and 20 points... and Id expect them to lose to spain anything between 1 and 15 points... I'd expect us to beat GB by anything between 1 and 20 points and if we were to beat Russia it would be between 1 and 10.... so, between Brazil and Australia the points could go right down to the wire.. so we gotta hope spain schools them and that china at very least takes it right up to them and that we sneak these next 2 wins.

Reply #373403 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I think I read we need to beat Russia by more than 8 to get 2nd? (if there is a 3 way tie for 2nd)

Reply #373404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best case for me is we blowout GB and narrowly beat Russia and end up 2nd thanks to the blowout

I expect us to go 1-1 and come 4th but even then could see us losing to both Russia and GB especially after they only lost by 1 point to Spain

Reply #373406 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anon - Brazil are 216 For and 208 Against for a Difference of +8.

alexkrad - I'm not a maths expert by any stretch, but I'm not sure how that could be calculated at this point without knowing the scores of the next games. We're currently 36 points behind Russia, so Spain would have to whoop them pretty bad, as would we, to make that up.

Reply #373407 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

My understanding is that if there is a 3 way tie it works on the head to head between the tied teams only.

So if it is a tie between Brazil , Russia and Australia then the +/- is irrelevant for games v China, Spain and GB

currently Brazil 1-1 and is +3 ( +4 v Aus and -1 v Russia)
Russia is 1-0 and +1
Australia is 0-1 -4

We need to beat Russia by 8 to be the top of this group as it would end up

Australia 1-1 (+4)
Brazil 1-1 (+3)
Russia 1-1 (-7)

so we HAVE to beat Russia by 8 to finish 2nd
Beat Russia < 8 to finish 3rd
a loss to Russia means we finish 4th

All under the assumption we beat GB and that Spain beats Russia

IF Russia beats Spain it will come down to the last game of the Pool to decide final places.

Reply #373410 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

If head-to-head results came into play, wouldn't France be ranked 2nd in their group right now ahead of Argentina who they beat? Both team have 2-1 records, both teams have 5 points, France beat Argentina, yet Argentina's points difference is +39 whilst France is -12, hence Argentina are 2nd and France are 3rd.

Reply #373416 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Excuse my ignorance people. I've just read the FIBA rules, now I understand how it all works. Points difference doesn't really matter until all games have been played, and there are at least three teams that finish with the same record.

So in my France and Argentina result above, if they finish with identical win-loss records (eg. USA are 5-0, and they both finish 3-2, and Lithuania finish 2-3) then France will finish 2nd and Argentina 3rd, due to the fact that France beat Argentina.

Reply #373425 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Only focus right now has to be beating Great Britain. Would one of Ingles or Newley match up on Deng? If so, and they do well, it could be a good way of getting some NBA attention or getting another Euro contract (in the case of Newley).

Reply #373429 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I'd be amazed if anyone gets an NBA contract after what we've seen so far. Competent enough for Euro ball but nowhere near NBA level.

Reply #373440 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Also to keep in mind is the Boomer's short turnaround for their final game against Russia:

(All these times are local UK time): They play GB at 8pm Saturday night, then have Russia 9am Monday morning! Russia plays Spain at 11.15am in their Saturday game.

The Boomers have been dealt a particularly tough schedule, so it goes without saying that ideally we would want to blow out GB so we can spread the playing minutes and rest our stars later in the game, to freshen up for the critical Russian game. If the respective form of Aus and GB is any indication though a blowout seems unlikely.

Reply #373445 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

in regards to one of Varts earlier posts, if Australia and Brazil end in a two way tie (3-2) then Brazil are automatically ranked ahead of AUS on head to head.

Reply #373447 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Games live on Foxtel 4am Sun morn & 7 pm Monday night (EST).

I agree hoopie, lucky Mills already signed b4 Olympics as his erratic play wouldn't warrant a Spurs contract. Also interesting is how wrapped in cotton wool he is by coach Brown. Should have been dragged in 4th last night for constant bad shot selection in trying to take on 7 footers! Brown did 0 & luckily he nailed some 3's. Looked stats hungry for mine..

Reply #373452 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I saw this interesting bit of news, which might influence what we have to win by

"the team that finishes third in Group B can avoid facing Team USA until the gold-medal match, while the second-place Group B team would have to face the U.S. one round earlier. The easiest way to avoid Team USA until the final possible moment is to "control your own destiny" and win Group B, but Russia and Brazil — the latter looking very shaky so far — would likely have to upend Spain to do that. If your overriding goal is to avoid Team USA as long as possible — and it should be, if you want a medal — the system has incentivized someone among the Spain/Brazil/Russia crew to dive for third place.
The incentives aren't totally clear-cut. Finishing third in Group B means playing the No. 2 finisher from Team USA’s group in the quarterfinals, while winning the No. 2 slot gets you No. 3 from Group A — an inferior team, in theory. And a team tanking for No. 3 could unintentionally end up at No. 4, a slot that means an immediate quarterfinal date against the Americans. But the first negative isn’t so negative, now that France has upset Argentina and thrown a monkey wrench into the Group A standings, and the second punishment would require an upset somewhere from Great Britain, China or Australia.

The general point: Keep an eye on Group B as the preliminary rounds go on."

Reply #373458 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Yep, thanks for the clarification HO. You're definitely correct on that one mate. Sorry for the confusion everyone!

Reply #373459 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

I honestly cannot see us beating either GB or Russia at thsi stage.

Reply #373486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jake, judging by some of the clinically insane descisions I have seen Patty Mills make. Its hard not to agree with you.. I think our best game was actuallyu against Brazil despite the loiss... if they play how they played in most of that game theyd be a shot.

Reply #373488 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

We can beat GB for sure, but we cant be undisciplined like we were against China.

I expect us to win this game reasonably well after a fight. Their lack of offensive sophistication will play right into our hands defensively, whereas the better teams can pick our d apart. Offensively I think we'll get enough cheap baskets from our pressure to make up for our half court struggles.

Reply #373491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Australias yet to actuallyt play well at the olympikcs, and were overdue for a good game

Reply #373513 | Report this post

Step back  
Years ago

I have a feeling we might be better off coming 3rd then 2nd if it means a crossover vs france. We have beaten them recently and just think we match up better with our erratic play hen against the tried and true experienced Argies. In any case we have to beat Russia first(and GB) and that in itslef will be very difficult and an epic achievement.

Reply #373579 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:28 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754