Isaac
Years ago

Borrego: Eagles qualifying game vs T'birds dinner

Hate to drag out the Borrego eligibility thing again, but there is a slightly amusing scenario coming up this weekend. Borrego has suited for seven games and needs to attend an eighth to qualify for ABL finals.

Only thing is that tomorrow is the Thunderbirds gala dinner and Borrego's Netball SA contract requires that she attend all official functions.

Netball SA CEO says she is expecting to see Borrego at the event tomorrow night. Meanwhile, the Forestville coach has confirmed that Borrego will be playing at the same time.

Full article

Topic #28943 | Report this topic

Adelady  
Years ago

I think Borrego wll suit up and arrive late at the function.

Reply #373435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

game is at 6.30 she could warm up in track suit then split, she could play the opening minute go down with injury and leave.

Reply #373436 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bit of a farce regardless and I can't see how they would close the loophole. Require players to actually play minutes and you'd rule out harmless benchwarmers who are there biding their time innocently.

Reply #373438 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

There could be a difference between a bench warmer who comes in at finals as a backup as opposed to a bench warmer coming in as a starter for finals?

Reply #373449 | Report this post

Off the mark  
Years ago

To be honest, if she suits for the start of the game to qualify and then leaves for the dinner it will be a fitting end to the regular season considering she has done that all season.

All opposition teams should show up and pack out the venues to support the other team and to boo Sharon Simons & the Forestville club

My opinion is its not right !!!

Reply #373455 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

blantant cheating - by stealth how does this paint basketball to wider community -

Reply #373461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't you just hate it when you double-book yourself?!

Reply #373462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And she has not even suited up for all of those 7 games. This is very unfair, and nothing has been done about it. Shame on you BSA!!

Reply #373463 | Report this post

dko  
Years ago

How does the 'suited for seven games' reconcile with BSA game log for CB which only lists 3 games (out of 17) in the current season?

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=193615405&client=1-3656-44095-203177-16744572

Reply #373464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

benchwarmers should qualify by playing 40% of rounds in ABA or the next tier down or juniors. Same as the By-law for BSA Junior and Senior grades. That way they prove they're legit members of the club.

Problem is with the current mess that is BSA Competitions, what is considered the next tier down? Youth League or Division 2 or both?

Reply #373468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't believe a person who has played all season for the same club in Div 2 seniors or U23/1 and has not been on the bench for 8 games is not able to play ABL finals. What happens with injuries etc. Surely you are not rorting the system by bringing someone up from inside the club who has been playing all year. This is clearly different to bringing someone into the club who has not played enough games anywhere.

To think these loyal reserve players can't participate but we have someone like in this scenario is not just or fair. What a joke

Reply #373475 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Either one , I don't care , high water everywhere.
Three (3) games would be sufficient
like it used to be.

Reply #373495 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

One would assume that a game played at a lower div would qualify if called up.

If the official stats say 3 games, then it should only be three games.

The dinner starts at 6:30. the game at 6:30. She can't be in two places at once and there's an old saying "a man who chases two rabbits, goes hungry". The T'Birds would probably expect their players to meet and greet the punters so they would require them to be at the Wine Centre by 6pm?

My gut feeling is that she will turn up to Mars to be seen at the stadium, start warm up, and then during the warm up race to her car, do a Mr Bean and get changed in the car and arrive a little bit late to the Thunderbirds, 'cos really they will only be sitting down at 7 to 7:30 won't they.

So, poindexters, a delicious dilema if ever there is one and one which would have Matt Preston salivating at the thought of an Iron Chef cooking with the secret ingredient, apple.

Could Norwood refuse to have her listed on the scoresheet if she is not there at tip off, or half time? Should all players sign the scoresheet at half time as proof they played?
Will she get a doctor's note from Doctor Nick?
Alternatively, could the doors of the stadium be locked once the warm ups start?
Would someone be brave enough to double park Carla so she couldn't drive away? Is there a front gate that could be chained? Would anyone like $50 to buy a padlock to chain the front gate so no car could leave?
Is it too late to reschedule the game to Sunday?

Reply #373497 | Report this post

SHAME  
Years ago

No matter what happens, i'm sure she will end up playing finals
What a bloody disgrace and a complete Farce

As far as bench warmers who are doing their apprenticeship, thats a different scenario and they should be able to play, no questions asked

But trying to wrought the system to qualify a quality player that is disgusting

Maybe everyone who plays against them in finals should band together and forfeit and make BSA look stupid and if they are not brave enough to bring forrestville into line, they will be handed the championship on a platter and what a hollow victory that would be and BSA would be the laughing stock of all sports in Australia if not the world !!!!

It sure would give Boti something to write about :)

Reply #373500 | Report this post

Nba agent  
Years ago

She just needs to pick what sport she wants to play netball or basketball

Reply #373522 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

It would be great if she played a full game, then turned up the the T'birds thing late, but something tells me that the chances of that happening are about the same as Boti Nagy having a back wax.

This is a complete joke and should be treated as such. It's obvious that a massive effort will be made to get her on the scoresheet without any intention of her stepping onto court and there is no way she will play any minutes whatsoever tomorrow night, despite any spin. I would love to be proved wrong.

However, no doubt a token effort with be made with stadium attendance as if there is no physical presence in the stadium, then there is absolutely no justification for a scoresheet tick off. Any pathetic excuse for an injury or illness claim can be quickly dismissed as an attempt to corrupt natural justice if evidence of attendance at the t'bird's dinner is substantiated. After all, even if you have got a dose of the trots, one could easily put in an effort - just ask Dean Jones.

I think it is safe to assume that a token physical presences at MARS can be assumed tomorrow night and so bearing in mind that the best resistance is passive resistance, may I suggest that if an attempt is made by Forestville to deny natural justice in this matter that every attempt is made to make her take the court and not attend the other function, or at least delay her exit so an embarrassing entrance to a gala dinner is guaranteed.

Reply #373538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get a life Jack you think too much she will play the first half and you will have nothing to whine about. All the who ah about her if the eagles had a gun guard they were trying to qualify then you would have something to worry about. They already have the best tall it is the back court they r weak in

Reply #373550 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

550, WTF are you on about? At least be lucid in your ravings.

Reply #373557 | Report this post

SHAME  
Years ago

I think it is good she wants to play both basketball and netball and she should, BUT if she can't qualify correctly then she shouldn't play finals!!!!
I would be interested to know of these other 7 games she has ment to have played in, how many were ridgey didge games and how many were a hoax ?

Maybe she could turn up to the game late from the Gala dinner and claim she is too inebreated to play, that would make for an interesting excuse

Reply #373558 | Report this post

History  
Years ago

Just look back over the competition history...

Catalini qualified in late 90's without playing enough games as did Brogan in the womens in early 90's...

Appears many have short memorys...

Reply #373564 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Are you people for real. Grow up and worry about your own back yards

Reply #373566 | Report this post

SHAME  
Years ago

Short memorys, weren't born or too may drinks!
Care factor zero, that was then and this is now, don't live in the past live for the present and even more shame on basketball if people have got away with this in the past for not doing anything to fix it!

Reply #373567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I say good luck to Borrego and Forestville.But if i were a Thunderbird i would be questioning her commitment to us, her teammates and S.A. Netball as her employers.What is more important to her ,fulfilling her obligations as a Thunderbird or having a bit of fun on the side.I personally would not like her putting herself above the TEAM,particularly when they have just failed in the finals.

Reply #373590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all this for a non event cabl title? Wow, a couple of hundred people tops care about the outcome and less about the scruples because basketball and deception go hand in hand. Playground stuff in a playground game.

Reply #373593 | Report this post

SHAME  
Years ago

BSA should fine themselves and the Eagles for bringing the game into DISREPUTE

Reply #373605 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

This id RD.18 and she played the last 3 games , this is her fourth , and she started benchwarming RD.6
Not quite sure how ya can change the rule so the best Basketballer at state league level cain't play.

Reply #373608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if Carla logs minutes this game its only the FOURTH time during the season that she would have actually PLAYED.

3 Games, 20 - 38 FG @ 52.6%, 5 - 7 FT @ 71.4%, 11.3 REB, 1.0 ASS, 15.0ppg.

The bylaw should be

1. that to qualify a player they must play (actually log court time) in at least 40% of the games that are scheduled for the season.

2. If they have not logged court time in at least 40% of games played, they must be ready, suited to play, and named on the scoresheet in at least 60%?? (Maybe more like 75%) of games played for the season.

This acts in two ways. Firstly - it stops more Carla situations from occuring. Secondly - it forces teams to stick with generally the same rotation of bench players if they want them to qualify.

Reply #373612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or even, how about this:

To qualify you must play (using the same existing by-law) your first game prior to Round 5?

Just throwing around ideas

Reply #373613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best basketballer at state level??? Hardly!!

Reply #373794 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The solution is actually very simple. I think people are most offended by players being listed on the scoresheet when they are not even in the state and there is no way they are going to play.

The 8 game rule should be applied as thus:

1. Any player who plays a junior game, or a game in a lower senior division qualifies as a game. (That way a team can still play the juniors or seniors who have improved through the season - after all, if they were that good during the minor round, surely the club should have played them)
2. Any player who plays minutes automatically qualifies.
3. Any player who was on the bench and willing to play, but who did not play due to coaches decision, signs the scoresheet to prove attendance at the game. That game counts. (After all, most of the time it would be a junior)
4. Any player with WNBL experience or higher, must take the court in all qualifying games.

Reply #373797 | Report this post

Phadreus  
Years ago

How would that stop Borego qualifying?

Only need 1 and 2?

Reply #373815 | Report this post

fan  
Years ago

Players already sign in as they enter the stadium don't they?

Reply #373820 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Phadreus,
Anyone who has played on court minutes in 8 rounds for their club at ABL level or below qualifies.

Point 2. Should be. "A game in which a player plays minutes automatically counts as a game." (as is the case now)

Reply #373851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is all a joke. She has not played or even suited up for the 8 games. I find the whole thing offensive.

Reply #373976 | Report this post

Facts  
Years ago

She has suited for 8 games which is why she has qualified..

Reply #374313 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Thank you for that "Facts". You would also note that she has game time minutes recorded against her on 4 of those 8 games.

Reply #374322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Facts... Thanks Sharon

Reply #374334 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Looking 'round Australia at State League levels ,
seems I put on here on 07July11 that she was first in FG%=59% . Second in scoring 23.0points. 4th in rebounds - 10.4 . From there , I think she improved ,playing in SA Finals for Forestville.
Most likely had some WNBL offers , but she wouldn't comment on that.
This season, it seems T-Birds beat Lightning out there.

Reply #374335 | Report this post

Phadreus  
Years ago

Jack,

Under point 3) a player (see Borego) could turn up without the intention of playing and sign the soresheet and qualify.

You dont need a junior to qualify this way as the qualify through enior div 2, U23 or U18 games.

If a WNBL player plays U23 and qualifies, then they should be eligible.

Reply #374343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She has not been there for those 8 games. Rediculous!!

Reply #374345 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

At least they are in uniform and on the bench and not in New Zealand.

Reply #374348 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:20 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754