Anonymous
Years ago

End of season coaching changes

Well its the end of the minor rounds and now its time for action by a lot of clubs, both in mens and womens.
Sturt appointed a new woman's coach who was made out to be the best thing since sliced bread, but with no wnbl players they are almost as bad as Woodville and their youth league squad plus a couple.
South and Woodville showed minor improvement, minor being the word.
In the mens there was centrals doing nothing, southern improving just, south going back to how they started, looking at pulling the pin like a former coach.
And if norwood dont win the gf in the womens what do you do with one of the most under achieving coaches as cabl level?
What moves should be made by clubs? And what coaches are moving clubs?
Should centrals keep whitmore, south vikki..... Maybe trade them to other clubs and see how bad they can do there.
Thoughts??

Topic #28967 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Tigers advertised applications for ABL mens and womens coaching roles on here, but doesn't look like there's anything on the BSA site? expect some changes there possibly, I'm not sure what the ABL level coaching pool is like to be honest.

Reply #373898 | Report this post

lonely lion  
Years ago

and if many could do better - always the coach - maybe just not the cattle about - underperforming based on what - whenplaying fields are level which never be - clubs are tracking forward in almost all cases - some are doing it tough as west and sturt regenerate but its improvement.
tigers had great start ran out of legs for sure with young group and men ralled late

Reply #373899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about a positive spin for once. Thoughts on coaches of the year?

Reply #373901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Women's coach of the year would have to be mavs coach

Reply #373902 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

Just a question are woodville too lazy to get a new coach or just not that interested in an improved women's program?

Reply #373904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville are on the hunt

Reply #373907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt Woodville women will get a new coach or any offers because the J&P specs must list that you have to be club secretary, 23, 18 and 16 coach as well.

Reply #373909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine if people offered to coach those teams instead of bitching on hoops about it....
If nobody wants to do it would you rather the girls not have a coach... Or go to magic

Reply #373912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville will have a new womens coach by end of this week

Reply #373915 | Report this post

disgruntled  
Years ago

i find it amazing its always the coach thats accountable - regardless of looking at the facts that maybe squads dont have the depth aka power -if the top coaches reversed with the 5 bottom teams - i seriously doubt if team position wouyld change by more than one wspot beacuse its the cattle thats the key to success - give the talent geelong norwood eagles have to poor south or woodville GWS football or basketball and be rapid growth - i telling you its the cattle thats the key.
sacking primus simple weak option - look at the players first

Reply #373918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville to have a new coach by the end of this week but not the one they want

Reply #373926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Willie Phil Smyth or Scott Whitmore my prediction for Woodville women

Reply #373952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tess Magen for coach of the year. Or if we want to be serious, I would say Barry Mansfield.

Reply #373978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I tell you now, Vicki has done a wonderful job considering the circumstances she was put under. As have some of the other coaches of teams that did not make the 5. You people have no idea. You shouldn't pass judgement unless you actually know the truth.

Reply #373980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Above post here here

Reply #374009 | Report this post

red21  
Years ago

Barry for coach of the year? Hahaha.

Vicki Valk has done a fantastic job.

Reply #374089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was talking about Vicki Kelson for South.. But yes, Coach Valk too has done well. Tough season for a number of clubs for different reasons.

Reply #374094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disgruntled's post although in the wrong section is still very relevant for this post :P

Reply #374206 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

What circumstances was Kelson put under? Aside from alienating her entire team from last year, loosing the 5 best players she had not contributing to our junior program. It looks all kelsons wounds were self inflicted. However with the group she had she did well. She is a good coach who just needs some people skills otherwise she will be looking for a new batch of players every year.

Reply #374236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You clearly have no idea above. As for her people skills, that is one of her best strengths. So many judgemental people who have no idea of the reality of certain situations.

Reply #374239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sometimes I click on here, most of the time because I am bored. All I see is either people bagging coaches or players. I am a parent, and yes I am from South, and have been for anumber of years now. I don't know Vicki personally but I have often seen her at our junior games. I must say she is one of the most personable ABL coaches I have ever come across. And the girls adore her. She seems to have time for everyone. I am no expert but both the junior and senior programs at South were terrible well before Vicki came onboard, and I think whoever is having a go should maybe instead of pointing your uneducated finger, lend a hand instead of sitting in your corner observing.

Reply #374246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am a junior parent and I admit, I do not know Vicki personally but I have seen her at a number of junior games and she seems like one of the most personable coaches I have ever seen. And the young kids seem to love her. I am no expert, but I do know that both Souths junior and senior programs have been in a whole lot of trouble well before Vicki came onboard last year as head coach. Like I said, I am no expert, but those who observe seem to be the best judges of all, but know little about what is really going on behind the scenes. It sounds like you are from South, and if you are such an expert, why don't you do something productive about the clubs situation, instead of having your uneducated opinion.

Reply #374251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just noticed my first post registered. Anyway, I hope both the Souths men and womens side can move forward next season. I believe they are in good hands and wish them all the best.

Reply #374252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So, who will be coaching Southern women next season?

Reply #374276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darren Smith to Coach Southern as he had plenty to say this year.

Reply #374277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Darren Smith?

Reply #374279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A nobody who thinks he is somebody!!

Reply #374285 | Report this post

The Medic  
Years ago

So Darren Smith posts on here under an incredible amount of names?

Reply #374289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are coaches still technically under contract....
How can they apply for another coaching position if this is the case?

Loyalty or just in it for cash.....

Reply #374295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cash???? You are kidding right??

Reply #374310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darren Smith is the guy who tells Southern Coaches who they can and can't play.

Just ask Willie.

Reply #374315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't believe that. I think Willie just made a lot of bad decisions.

Reply #374328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He might not tell Willie but he try's to tell everyone else how to coach!!

Reply #374330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he Willies assistant? What role does he play at Southern?

Reply #374344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Junior President

Reply #374367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not for much longer.

AGM is on the horizon!

Reply #374370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be held in secret this year, although if you're not willing to put your hand up and do it you can't complain

Reply #374443 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

Can't be held in secret.

Reply #374577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anything can happen!!

Reply #374616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no changes at woodville

Reply #375092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah a certain coach whom was to bring a bunch of feral women from a nothern district team missed out at Woodville

Reply #375108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville won't have a team if there has been no change

Reply #375111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who leaving know it all

Reply #375112 | Report this post

Surprised  
Years ago

Disappointing from the perspective that no change means a continuation of a poor program that doesn't deliver a quality game or much hope for the coming year.

If Woodville is to rise above joke level it needs to realise that it may have to spend money on its junior girls program, secure quality junior coaches and face the unpleasant truth that having a senior women's coach who lacks the skills to improve the group will not attract families and players to the club.

The loss of many of their better juniors saw them recruit other clubs second and third tier seniors glad to get court game but without juniors of quality in the wings because their numbers are so thin they seem the worst placed club in the league.

I don't know who if any players are leaving or in fact if any are, but it's clear that if any of their players with any ability want to develop their game and improve then they are left with only one option, find another club.

Reply #375143 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:49 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754