Jake
Years ago

NH: Reported that Primus has been sacked

Reported in the Tiser Matty Primus has either been sacked or stood down with an official annoucement to be made by the club tomorrow.

His position is untenable however I feel sorry for the guy. The president and board should be held accountable given the mistakes made over the last 5 years in a number of areas both with on field recruiting (re appointing Williams then having to pay him out, appointing Primus without giving him the support), player list management etc.

Even with the planned move to Adelaide Oval the Port brand is being seriously damaged and with thier current list I cannot see them turning it around anytime soon.

Topic #28968 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Primus told his he could coach out the season, he walked resigned immediately.

Reply #373910 | Report this post

Ric  
Years ago

In my opinion I don't think coaches should be the ones to blame. The best they can do is go out and tell their players what to do. The players should be the ones to blame for not doing their job and doing the right things in the field.

Reply #373913 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Coaches as this level need the support of the players. I look with interest the Geelong sitution when coach Mark Thompson was nearly ready to be sacked. He made a smart move when he brought,the players into his confidence and asked the players where they thought in what areas could the team improve and started listening to the players. We had the Neil Craig issue at the Crows and possibly Matthew Primus where the players lost the confidence in the game plan and possibly the lack of changes to it.

Reply #373917 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Look at what happened when the Crows got a new coach, sometimes a fresh coaching panel and new ideas help get teams back up top

Reply #373922 | Report this post

Years ago

a lot of the programme is down at present.

Reply #373944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The mattress has left the building

Reply #373948 | Report this post

Years ago

port are at a low ebb - they will rebound.

it is bigger than one person.

unfortunately in afl the culture seems to be always at the coach.

at the end of the day -

1 team will win the flag

1 team will finish bottom

8 will make finals and others will not.

every team bottoms out at some stage

Reply #373953 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

For anyone who thinks Port is at its lowest point I'll say this: it possibly isn't the best time to be travelling to Tassie to play Hawthorn, who are coming off a loss, with Franklin back.

PAFC 1870-2007.

Reply #373961 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

As an avid Norwood Redlegs fan I'm hoping he takes over as head coach there. Brings back another ex norwood boy, he's young and can hopefully continue on from Bassett who I'm 99% sure will get a gig in the AFL next year.

Port should definitely look at Bassett and Bassett should definitely look at Port. Young coach that has already turned around a proud SANFL club and made them into a dominant force. Bassett I would expect would welcome the chance to stay in Adelaide, he's coached the likes of Rodan, Renouf, Pfeiffer, Phillips, Jonas and Thomas, all who could be regulars in the side. Throw in good mates Rehn and Edwards beside him and I think he'd be sold!

Reply #373994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AK-47 I think you may know more than you realise whether you do or not ;)I got a feeling there will be a huge crow influence on POWER and perhaps even in the future the Port may disappear

Reply #374204 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:46 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754