Anonymous
Years ago

Warrandyte D1 men underperform

I'm an avid follower of the Big V and saw that warrandyte got done on the weekend.

To put it in perspective they had no less than 3 genuine SCM starters from 2011 (2 being starters from wav & Eltham)

Plus they bought in an import and recruited anyone they could spend $$ on!

This club also reappointed the coach during the year, which surely needs to be looked at as the squad was stacked an to not be winning or at least playing in the GF really isn't good enough.

President etc have alot to answer for after spending all the $$$ for no result....wonder how many of those ex SCM players will be back!

Topic #28978 | Report this topic

BB  
Years ago

They didn't have a proper point guard to actually run their team. For the second half of the season they had a 15 year old point guard starting. It was a great job by the 15 year old but surely for Div1 Men standard that's not good enough.

I just don't think there were enough shots to go around. They all wanted to drop 30 points themselves rather than actually win.

I wouldn't question the coaching too much. Arnie has a great reputation around the league and usually has a knack for exceeding expectations with teams eg. Bulleen the previous 3 or 4 seasons.

Reply #374063 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Championships at that level are all about ego's when people are trying to buy them. Spend the money on developing juniors topped up with some experience players and if your good enough so be it. Theres no prizemoney for coming first....

Reply #374072 | Report this post

MELBMAN  
Years ago

I understand the coach has been activly chasing players during the season after games from the team they played , dont think you are allowed to do this plus feel bad for some of the locals who wont get a look in next season.

Reply #374075 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Arnold does have a reputation for "putting" together/recruiting a good team but hard to get a look if your a junior with the mentality there program had this year

Reply #374081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mckinnon caused a massive upset against 1st place Werribee

Reply #374179 | Report this post

Abc123  
Years ago

No such thing as "locals" when it comes to BigV or SEABL in Melbourne - only exists really in country teams. With so many teams with so much money loyalty is almost non existent. I will say however that there are a few cases of loyalty and I LOVE to hear about players playing milestone games at the same club they played juniors with or at least with th same club they played all their seniors with.

I said early in season that if McKinnon make finals they will go close to winning it!! Last week was the first time for season they were inside top4, however, I don't see Geelong beating them in the prelim and then I reckon they have the game to knock off Camberwell/Mildura

Reply #374237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camberwell were very lucky on the weekend to hit the eventual game winner off a jump shot from 100 game player Julian Fields. They were down by 4 with 1 minute left but can away eventual winners against Whittlesea. A really great display.

McKinnon having a massive game against Werribee has created an unusual situation to then have a 3rd placed team playing against a 4th placed team to make the Grand Final series.

Mildura and Camberwell will no doubt be an absolute blockbuster. Anybody who says Division 1 is merely a 'good domestic comp' are so wrong when you look at some of the guys who make up these teams.

Reply #374267 | Report this post

MELBMAN  
Years ago

The winner of the Camberwell/Mildura game will win the championship,whoever wins that game will have the home court and had a look at the results during the season and Mildura have beat McKinnon once and smashed Geelong by 20+ points both times they have played as have Camberwell.
P.S Why are the finals on a Sunday? Not sure how far away Mildura is (I think its 6 or 7 hours away) but that would make it tough for them.

Reply #374274 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Definitely some well drilled teams in Div 1.

Reply #374275 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

ABC123, I think you are right about teams and their locals but this is a policy decision generally.

Some teams have strong local content rules. That is, they will play a certain number of outsides but there must be a strong ratio of locals as well.

Geelong has always impressed me in SEABL (men) with how many genuine local players suit for them, but they complement that with 2 imports and one or two other non locals. Their women's program is not as strong at this although they appear to have fair local representation.

Ballarat appear to have been very good in the past with their women - not sure how that stands now.

It would be an interesting exercise to look at Dandy, Knox, Kilsyth, nun and Frankston and see how many of their rosters were juniors with those clubs. My guess is Knox would score very poorly and maybe kilsyth as well.

Reply #374333 | Report this post

Bronco  
Years ago

The Local V Import/Non club junior debate means different things at different levels. Given the costs and marketability of success for SEABL based teams it makes sense to pick competitive teams, if that means 0, 1, 2 or 10 Juniors so be it, to a less of an extent the same for BigV champ. But the lower state divisons should not be allowed to have restricted players for starters, and focused on locally produced talent.

Reply #374368 | Report this post

TIGERSFAN  
Years ago

Not happy that one of our starting 5 Dragon D1M players have had pressure put on him by the coach to come to Warrandyte next season, I would have no problem with this after the season but during finals is just not on.

Reply #374710 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Which Dragon would that be?

Who is even in their starting 5? Kevin Anstey? Jordan Canovan?

Reply #374753 | Report this post

TIGERSFAN  
Years ago

It was Canovan from what im told.

Reply #374822 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Heard the same thing around the traps that the coach was putting pressure on Canovan and according to a few others has also activly chased a number of other players about 2013 mid season.

I guess it fills his squad with confidence and the junoirs at the club that he's really giving them a good pathway....

Reply #374849 | Report this post

TIGERSFAN  
Years ago

Young kid Josh Collins would be playing big mins on ANY other team and has played stuff all this season, NOT GOOD

Reply #374865 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Little whisper is a couple of clubs are keen to talk with him...one whom is a close neighbour in a high divsion.....

Reply #375934 | Report this post

TIGERSFAN  
Years ago

Hope he get a gig to good not to be playing

Reply #375973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anybody know if any teams are going to take the leap from D1 to SCM? There are a niumber of clubs that should really be looking at doing that.

Word has it that Camberwell are the best positioned to do this but dont want to do so?

McKinnon should also be looking at doing this but I do not know if thay are thinking about it or not.

Reply #376569 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

The key is they should win D1 before lookng to enter the SCM division.

Camberwell were good but they have now lost Anstey so thats a hard spot to fill....really i think the focus should be for the winners of D1 to step up.

Warrandyte were the big spruikers but clearly aren't ready for SCM for a few more years.

Mackinnon are an interesting one they could be ready but Timmons is only getting older and with big Axel retiring they have just lost thier second most important player...maybe 1 more season to allow those young guys to mature in D1 and they'll be ready if they can get a couple of good imports.

I think Mildura could step up to champ as they have size/imports and it would be fantastic for the league, however with Williams heading home it could cause a few issues as they'll rely on there imports to get it done...which as per hisotry tells us you need a good supporting cast of local are you'll be forever outside of the finals.

Reply #376598 | Report this post

TIGERSFAN  
Years ago

Seems that no team keeps the same group for more than a year, Both Ansteys are gone so camberwell wont be as good, Dench gone and marcus getting older so they wont be up to SCM , Geelong will loose their best players to the other Supercats,Mildura loose Williams and Clarke so will depend on their replacements so dought they would be good enough.
And Warrandyte - well they need to find a league that you can have more than 1 ball on the court so they can all shoot as many times as they want with their own ball. lol

Reply #376624 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL Arnie up to his old tricks.. Recruiting mid season in the post game..!!!

Reply #376627 | Report this post

warrior  
Years ago

Looking at their team this season they would have to win it all.

Reply #405939 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

They been a bit more low key of the "hype" and signings this season than last...mght have learnt thier lesson!

Reply #405948 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:18 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754