Anonymous
Years ago

Boomers/Opals... improved basketball popularity ?

Hey.. I have read an article stating that theres been increased interest in Basketball due to the deeds of boomers/opals at the olympics. http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8511866

has anyone noticed a spiked interest in Basketball around them?

Topic #28992 | Report this topic

benno  
Years ago

You can thank patty mills and slambage for that

Reply #374403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's actually big renewal of interest amongst youngsters in NBA fashion. This is often precursor to the sport growing. Now with our olympic teams doing well lets hope the sport can capitalise on this opportunity.

Reply #374406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's actually big renewal of interest amongst youngsters in NBA fashion. This is often precursor to the sport growing. Now with our olympic teams doing well lets hope the sport can capitalise on this opportunity.

Reply #374407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's just a bit of a bubble. Sad, but true.

The Opals will continue to do well - but they always do. If they're in a gold medal game, that will be fantastic. If they win it, they maybe couldn't have done it in a better year, given the Australian medal drought - so much more attention on them. That will be brilliant for womens basketball, particularly participation, but not going to bring on some second golden age in general for the sport in Australia, unfortunately.

On the mens side - I'm in London and that game winner was actually given a decent run as a highlight here - but we all know what's about to happen next. If they play tough/gritty/never-back-down (which they definitely will) and if they manage to keep it respectable (possible) and/or make a decent chase of it for some time, and thus have people staying tuned in for a long time (incl. Ch.9 themselves), hopefully it at least earns Australian basketball a lot more respect, if not that respect translating to a noticeable increase in popularity at any level. Again, because of the drought and because of their heroics leading in, there's more of a spotlight on them now than ever before. If they do as well as they did against the US in 2004 there will be far more attention paid to it than there was in 2004, where it was a bit of an also-ran event. In 2004 it was a bit like: "Here's something you don't see every day, but we'll be going back to something where Australia have a chance in a minute...", while in 2012 the build up is far more significant. I mean, there *is* a build up. That in itself is different. It's great timing for them.

Of course, if the men beat the US all bets are off and I'm surely destined to spend 12 of the following 18hrs in a London police station.

Reply #374409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nba articles are suprisingly well-read on australian newspaper websites.

Reply #374413 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Channel 9 seem to be pumping up the Boomers v USA game. They mentioned that game was the most watched event here in Oz for the Beijing games. Good chance they may show it all. Still pleased I have Fox though, just in case.

Reply #374452 | Report this post

Macy G  
Years ago

Basketball always enjoys a spike during the Olympics because of the 'Dream Team's' popularity. Will this transition into increased crowds at NBL / WNBL games - I think not!

Reply #374458 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Lets hope so. Bball deserves it. its a fantastic game for all fans from all different backgrounds.

Reply #374467 | Report this post

Bel  
Years ago

Am I wrong in thinking the Dream Team was the 1992 team only? Everyone keeps referring to this Olympic Team (which I thought was Team USA) as the Dream Team. Not trying to bust balls genuinely wondering.

Reply #374475 | Report this post

Jim Bert  
Years ago

People are mistaken in referring to this years incarnation as the Dream Team. As you said that title is reserved for the 1992 side. They are merely Team USA.

Reply #374504 | Report this post

Bel  
Years ago

Thanks Jim, good to know.

Reply #374507 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

I see heaps of people rocking NBA jerseys and snapbacks these days.

... but then you see some teenager wearing a Kobe jersey with a Celtics cap and you wonder how many of them actually have a clue about basketball.

Hopefully those of us who grew up in the boom times of the 90s will try their hardest to instill that love of hoops in their kids.

Reply #374525 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

If only the 90's type popularity was back again!!

Reply #374635 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:43 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754