Anonymous
Years ago

Barca To Loan Joe Ingles - Foreign Player Rules

It seems that Barca will loan out Joe Ingles because they have too many foreign players under the rules of the Spanish League.

They supposedly decided that Ingles would be the foreign player that would have to sit out Spanish League games, so he could only play in the Euroleague games.

Supposedly Ingles didn't like that and now he is being shopped around to go out on loan.

Spanish Euroleague club Malaga is said to want him, and Greek Euroleague club Olympiacos is also said to be interested in him.

Between those two, he should pick Malaga. Olympiacos already has Stratos Perperoglou and Kostas Papanikoloau at the small forward position, do I don't see much playing time being available there.

Conversely, he should get more playing time with Malaga than he did with Barca.

Topic #28993 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

If true I think that's really good news. Joe has shown in London he is ready to play at a high level, and if he can do that he will get the chance to develop the consistency he has been lacking.

And I agree, I would take Spanish money over Greek money! But only just. Shame a German team isnt interested!!

Reply #374428 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Great news if it all pans out!

Reply #374439 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I thought he had an English passport so he wasn't a foreign player?

Unless a foreign player is defined as non-Spanish?

Reply #374442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Non-Spanish = foreign player.

Also, Paul, Olympiacos pays bigger salaries than Malaga does. If you figure the tax differences, actually bigger than Barca does also.

Besides that, there is no such thing as Greek money anymore. Greece uses the Euro, just like Spain does.

Reply #374444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah a German team? WTF are you trolling or what? Biggest German budgets are like 1/3 of Olympiacos budget.

Reply #374445 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think he's referencing the stability of teams and local financial position rather than an actual, separate currency...

Reply #374451 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Correct. It was a joke about the financial stability of those countries, not a serious commentary on what club he should go to.

BTW - Non-Spanish European = Bosman player, while a non-European = foreign player. There are restricitions on both in the Spanish league but only on foreign players in the Euroleague.

Reply #374453 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

so Jawai coming in means Joe is moved out?

Reply #374454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trade to miami heat!

Reply #374485 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Article here and a more detailed article is linked within it (in Spanish though):

http://www.eurohoops.net/2012/08/dunks/8248

Reply #374491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are no restrictions on foreign players in the Euroleague. Euroleague is just like the NBA, you could have an entire roster of foreign players if you wanted.

But the European national domestic leagues have restrictions on the number of foreign players that you can have. Ingles counts as an English player, so he counts as a foreign player, under the bosman rules.

So, since he is Australian, and has an English passport - he can be counted as either non-bosman (Australian), or as bosman (European) by his team.

So that gives his team roster flexibility. However, he still will be counted as a foreign player in every league in Europe, except for the English League and the British League.

Reply #374580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I went to that link to read the article and now they are saying Barca changed their minds, because Ingles is playing well at the Olympics.

http://www.eurohoops.net/2012/08/dunks/8248

So I guess they will send out someone else like probably Chuck Eidson instead.

Reply #374582 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:59 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754