Vart
Years ago

Patty Mills leading scorer for Olympic Games

After six games Patty finished with a 21.5ppg average. Second is Scola on 19.7ppg. The other guys in the top 5 are still playing, but would have to have very big games to knock him out of first spot.

Well done Patty!

1. Patrick Mills (AUS) 21.5
2. Luís Scola (ARG) 19.7
3. Manu Ginobili (ARG) 19.3
4. Pau Gasol (ESP) 18.8
5. Andrey Kirilenko (RUS) 18.3

Topic #29008 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

He did very well today and against GB, really got his shot going. Funnily enough he is much more at home against the might of the USA than the top euro and sth american teams.

He's only averaged 14p at 38% against those teams over his three tournaments, and in 2010 and 2012 that was 15p at 34%. But his two games against the USA have been really superb in a faster style game.

I guess the lesson for opponents is don't let him get opportunities in the open court, and the lesson for Boomers coaches to best utilize his talent for the team is play a style that gets him in the open court, but use him less in half court sets.

Reply #374735 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

He's playing for his points though & sometimes looks selfish. His clip wouldn't be that great either. He's gotta stop going up against 7 footers on the break! He seems to have a green light from coach so he's living the dream!!

Reply #374736 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

In the last four games Patty shot the three ball at 47% (16/34).

If he had of shot it like that from game one, we would have beaten Brazil, and pushed Spain to the limit, and still be playing.

Reply #374740 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's a huge IF and doesn't really hold water because he shot very poorly against Russia. He shot very well against the USA and the two minnows and poorly against Euros and Sth Americans, which is becoming a pattern.

Reply #374741 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

His 3/10 from three against Russia was ok. If one more goes down and he shoots 40% everyone says thats great!

I don't think its a huge if, as he shot the three between 35-50% everywhere he played this past year.

I personally think it took him a while to get going after being thrown into the two-guard spot permanentely right before the games commenced. He should have been playing that spot from the opening day of the first training camp.

Patty's Olympics was reminiscant of his short stint with Melbourne. It took him a while to adjust to being 'the man', but one he did he excelled.

Patty is a scorer, plain and simple. I don't think we should force him into being a point guard.

I for one congratulate him on a great tournament. Where would we have been without him?

He's only just turned 24, and he's going to get better and better.

Reply #374742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree Vart Patty had a great tournament.

Just think how fortunate we were to see a talent like him in the NBL last season.

Reply #374744 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I say it's a HUGE if Vart because Patty has shot the three ball at 21% against top Euro and Sth American teams in 2008, 2010 and 2012. This tournament was even worse at 17%.

To then say if he had shot at 47% against Brazil and Spain we would still be playing is wishful thinking rather than a realistic proposition based on what he has done so far.

Reply #374784 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I understand what you're saying paul. I don't think its 'wishful thinking' though. I'm realistic enough to understand what happened in the past can't be changed. Even with the stats you've provided, Patty shooting 1/9 on three's against Brazil goes against the trend. All I was trying to convey was that if he hit one or two more the result probably would have been a lot different. But he didn't, and we lost.

I 'hope' that we see a lot more of the 47% Patty in the future, against ALL nations!

Reply #374790 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Im with you Vart. if we shoot better against those two teams i feel confident the result may have been different. to shoot that bad and still be in the game to win it. Wow.

Reply #374794 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'm definitely with you on that one Vart! Less quantity will mean more quality.

Reply #374803 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Mills took 116 field goals for his 129 points. That's 19 shots a game, compared to others in the top 10 (Scola, Ginobili, P.Gasol, Kirilenko, Durant, Anthony, Barbosa and Parker) averaging under 13 shots per game. The exception being Deng with 17 shots per game.

Given that kind of volume shooting, he ended up with a respectable shooting percentage, although as paul pointed out, propped up by strong performances against the lower ranked nations (or the US with fast-paced offense). This tournament has shown that future Boomers teams should try to be more selective in the way Mills is used at the offensive end, which hopefully we can afford to do with more offensive options in future teams.

Reply #374872 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the Russia game showed this team has enough scoring when they play the right sort of game. To score 82 points against a tough Russian team (highest score against them) despite Andersen and Mills shooting 10/34 is quite an effort.

I think Brown may have finally got over his 'I dont have a very talented team' mentality the past few days. Up until then his offensive strategy was remarkably poor.

Reply #374883 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

when you are undermanned in the bigs dept in a tournament like this, more often then not...you have to roll the dice from the 3 line.
but trying to shoot layups against someone who is 8/10 inches taller ...ten times more athletic... just dont make sense to me !!

Reply #374917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think vart's first post is spot on! Concurr 100%!

Reply #374930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^
Edit 2nd post sorry!

Reply #374932 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

so what did he average for assits? like 1 or 2? he should be getting 5+ minimum with his ability to get into the paint!

Reply #375232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2.2 apg

London Olympics:

Mills-21.5ppg @ 43% (35% 3p), 4.5 rpg, 2.2apg, 2.5 topg

Ingles-15ppg @ 51% (31% 3p), 5 rpg, 4.2 apg, 2 topg

Andersen-12ppg @ 37% (40% 3p), 6 rpg, 1.2 spg

Newley-7.8ppg @ 46% (23% 3p), 4.8 rpg, 2 apg

Baynes-7.5ppg @ 66%, 3.3 rpg

Dellavedova-7.3 ppg @ 36% (38% 3p), 4.5 apg, 3.8 rpg, 2.2 topg

Nielsen-3.3 ppg @ 42% (50% FT), 3.5 rpg, 1.8 spg, 2 topg

Worthington-2.8 ppg @ 28% (22% 3p), 2.5 rpg

Maric-2.5 ppg @ 40%, 2.7 rpg

Barlow-1.8 ppg @ 33% (33% 3p), 2 rpg

Gibson-1 ppg @ 67% (100% 3p), 0.25 rpg

Crawford-2 ppg @ 40% (0% 3p), 1 rpg

Reply #375241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey 15 @ 51 - nice clip

Reply #375257 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:57 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754