Jacob
Years ago

world team vs USA - OPINIONS ?

Not sure whether this has already been looked at in other threads other not ?
- have fiba ever looked at something like this ?
- could be a huge spectacle for the game of basketball .
- how would you set it up - ie. Have it at the end of Olympics whereby only players at the Olympics could play - or as a separate event eg. Add into allstar weekend ??

- and what's your international team ?? After some thinking i came up with this.

Bogut/marc gasol/Tim Duncan (if he qualifies)
Dirk/pau/Ersan illyosova.
Kirelenko/ deng
Manu ginobli/ alexy shved /navarro
Tony parker /Steve nash / ricky Rubio

Others : bargani, galianari , Marco belinelli , patty mills,

I got international's winning ! Tell me what you think and if I've missed anyone

Topic #29050 | Report this topic

Jacob  
Years ago

Scola !

Reply #375500 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

lol I dont think Bogut would be starting... He would maybe be 3rd center

Reply #375501 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

I think your forgetting a healthy bogut is the best centre in the nba behind dwight and Bynum. Defensively would get the nod . but marc gasol would be his only competition.

Reply #375503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well said Jacob think it would be great for the sport, great viewing

they would have to find a good date in the off season of all the leagues around the world, every two years maybe?

Reply #375506 | Report this post

Great idea Jacob, possibly the best idea ive heard in a long while.

Get angry.

Reply #375507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Duncan has already played for USA.

Reply #375510 | Report this post

Bron  
Years ago

USA by 15 are better in every position except maybe pf would be a great idea to bring into All star game

Reply #375513 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

I think putting it into all star weekend would be pretty sick. Or maybe even at end of pre season NBA or post finals. OBVIOUSLY needs to work for all leagues around world.

Even if you just had it for nba based players still would be great. And bron i think defensively international's would be better and sneak a win .

Reply #375520 | Report this post

Bron  
Years ago

You may be right Jacob I was just thinking that people are underestimating the Americans because they allowed some teams like australia and Lithuania to be competitive against them. I believe that against an opposition that the Americans know will really challenge them, they would bring their A game and prove how dominant they actually are.

Reply #375521 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Depends on the rules. NBA rules and they win. FIBA rules and it's tougher to call

Reply #375537 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I would have Penney in there before Shved if FIBA rules were in place.

Reply #375538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anstey was asking something like who would win?!? today on Twitter I reckon..

Reply #375540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBA and USA Basketball would never agree to it, because the NBA/USA team would lose every single game. And that would ruin their current marketing, where the whole world seems to wrongly believe that the NBA is some kind of magical super league.

Reply #375555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How would it ruin marketing? If anything, they could say "It took the rest of the world banding together to beat us." Not something to be ashamed of.

Reply #375557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depending on which team USA would hit the floor, if it was the London Olympic team USA team then it would no doubt be a battle, I would still give the edge to team USA slightly. Although if we are talking a full strength USA team, with the likes of Howard, Wade, Rose, Bosh, that USA team would get them by 15+. That being said just wondering why people haven't given Nic Batum any love on their world team
Predictions? Certainly has the athleticism to match the USA and also has a perimeter shot and can defend when he actually wants too!

Reply #375558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spliter, Huertas, varejao,

Would be awesome, can't imagine it happening while stern is in charge, unless his billionaire friends get the exclusive telecast and other exclusive rights to use the word 'basketball' in its marketing, thereby prohibiting the word 'basketball' from any unlisecensed or unauthorised 'advertising' including any or all mention of the word 'basketball' in any person to person communique(school competition, casual conversation etc), be it in any related or unrelated context, notwithstanding clauses elsewhere to the contrary,shall be deemed in violation of this exclusive international agreement and be liable for significant damages, for trademark/ and tortious contract infringement.

Reply #375561 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I'd love to see it but it won't happen - the NBA & the owners won't go near anything where there's a sniff that the US might lose their super-hero image.

Reply #375564 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

With the World Cup changing years from 2018 to 2019, it will be back-to-back with the Olympics, so there is potentially a gap in the year prior (2017) in this case for something like this to occur.

Imagine a best of seven series, 2-3-2 format, going something like New York, Paris, Madrid, London, Los Angeles. That would be awesome!

Another idea that has been floated is a FIBA Zone competition, where there are teams put together from their respective five FIBA zones. It would work similar to an Olympic pool, where each team plays each other once, and the top four go through to a medal round. So the whole thing wouldn't go much more than a week.

If nothing else, it would be a good excuse for us Aussies to finally recruit Kirk Penney!

America would be tough, as it would be the USA guys, plus the likes of Ginobili, Nash, Scola and Barbosa.

Reply #375576 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I don't mind the idea of the FIBA zone thing, but you have to split up North and South America IMO. Would make for a better tournament.

Reply #375581 | Report this post

Des  
Years ago

If it happened in the next one to two years you'd give the rest of the world some chance of getting a win... but Team USA would have to be favourites. They are so deep, Europe's and rest of worlds best (who are all better for playing in NBA) are now ageing eg Gasol, Parker, Ginobili, Kirelenko etc

As some have said, if you take the USA team from these games, take out the 3 least important guys say Hadden, Iguodala and the rookie from Kentucky perhaps one or two more ... add some of the great players who didn't show like Howmard, Wade, Rose, Bynum, Aldridge, Griffin to name a few ... it would really make these guys unstoppable. Rest of world doesn't have the depth at each position, the athleticism or skill. Sorry to all the europe lovers, the talent is still a way off... But its great for Basketball that they get closer all the time, come along way in 20 years or so

Interesting to see what the next gen of europe/ rest of world players will bring... I see the next worlds being competitive, but if USA send best or near best in Rio, can the world come up with some competition? Spain and Argentina would have to look different, perhaps Brazil would be top contender in home games? Agree that their frontcourt is very impressive and you've got love Heurtas,

Reply #375636 | Report this post

jacob  
Years ago

Sorry I did forget to mention the Brazilian boys who were ultra competitive. Nicolas batum has a lot to work on but definately fits into that 3 spot with kirelenko and deng !

People talking about which USA team turns up - the same argument is for the internationals - if you take just the internationals from the olympics then yeah maybe US still win, but add bogut nash and dirk etc. you have a ball game .

VART that 2-3-2 format you have mentioned would be an absolute eye catcher. As we all know a series of games helps better determine who the better team actually is. having this every 2ns or so year wouldnt hurt I wouldnt think surely. The US team would sure as hell love to do it - all you hear about is how much they love the opportunity to play with each other, chris paul saying the other day it was the funnest time of his life !

And the europeans would love to show the americans who the real powerhouses of the basketball world are !

Im sure as hell that the NBA could see this as a markteting option, as said before " Its taking the world to beat us!"

David stern should stop trying to make the world champs into a world "cup" per say ! (a whole nother topic)!

And bring something like this to the world - something unique that not many other sports would have. the world cup would just be another steam roll for the US . Where as something like this would create some real interest. A world cup ? basketball doesnt have a big enough following for that !

Reply #375695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another idea that has been floated is a FIBA Zone competition, where there are teams put together from their respective five FIBA zones. It would work similar to an Olympic pool, where each team plays each other once, and the top four go through to a medal round. So the whole thing wouldn't go much more than a week.

-------------------------------------------
The NBA killed that. All the other leagues agreed to it, including the Euroleague, and the NBA killed it. Even when FIBA offered the NBA $10 million per tournament.

The NBA is never going to allow anything like a US/NBA versus Europe/Euroleague or world/international competition. NEVER. Because they know that the NBA's image would be completely destroyed just after a couple of games.

Reply #375730 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:31 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754