Still concerned
Years ago

Adelaide Arena what now?

Ok the 36ers have secured a lease for this season.
Surely a lot of work has to now begin to secure the venue for the future.
Where do the 6ers play next season?
Can they build crowd numbers to make the jump to the Entertainment Centre?
Will they buy the Venue?
Will the Government buy the Venue?
Will the Government allow the venue to fall back in the hands of private operators and risk the same situation?

This lease is only a short term fix

Topic #29091 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

To my knowledge, there are still very strict restrictions in place, that say it must be a sporting venue, so any potential buyer would be silly to not want the Number 1 tenant to remain there.

Stranger things have happened though.

Botis view on what should happen.

Reply #376275 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

The recent 50mil Powerball winner is looking @ buying the arena.

Reply #376276 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

While in broad agreement with Boti's sentiments, he is wrong in blaming the government for restictions being placed on the stadium. It was a condition of development approval that it would be available only for sporting events. Administrators at the time were fully aware that they could not hire the stadium out for concerts and the like. If they were under the impression that the restrictions would be lifted after the stdium was commissioned they were indeed foolhardy and for that no one can blame the government.

All that being said, I agree that the purchase of the stadium and its operation placed in the hands of interested sporting bodies(not just basketball)would be the way to go.

Reply #376277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bake if that's true how do you explain the concerts held at the venue in the first year?

Reply #376278 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The club/etc are obviously working on all these things behind the scenes. The lease was just a first step.

Reply #376282 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Ya cain't make a profit on the place due to government restrictions , so a bitta government subsudy ain't absurd.
Many times I often went to Apollo for Jethro Tull Sanatana Chicago and others.
300 Violin Orchestra sounds pretty good at the arena.

Reply #376288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

boti to run for CEO please

Reply #376300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the stadium was first built there were no restrictions. There was a Tom jones concert, the Moscow circus for 2 weeks among other events. It wasn't until the government noticed they could lose money on the EC that they put up the restrictions. It was getting complaints politically about the EC being a white elephant. So the compensation for basa which boti mentioned. But that stopped when Eddie bought it so is now a restraint of trade and would take a very simple court appeal to have those restrictions removed.

Reply #376311 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"Basketball? You can go on the far queue". Depressing as the venue sitch is THAT gold nugget from Boti made me smile.

Reply #376321 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Can't be simple enough if Groves or CBA haven't done it.

Maybe the government will buy it and lease it freely to basketball in exchange for the restrictions remaining, somehow.

Reply #376323 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Anon the restraint of trade avenue sounds like a good one for the next owner to pursue if the govt has stopped its compo payments. Would be great to see the stadium become profitable whilst retaining basketball as its prime leaseholder, as we might finally start to see financial stability for the sport in this state.

Reply #376324 | Report this post

Bake  
Years ago

I am not certain of the sequence, my memory is not what it used to be,but I am pretty sure it was a condition of development approval. That along with resticting street parking and access from William Road were also hot issues at the time. The concerts in the first year may have had one off exemptions as carry over bookings from Apollo.

We have to fervently hope that the exemptions are not lifted as these make the purchase of the stadium particularly unattractive to a developer. The fact that the stadium was built on top of a rubbish dump will also be a factor. Any redevelopment will require a great deal of addtional remediation as the land is unsuitable for more intensive development.

Again this is not gospel only from the depths of my memory.

It always perplexed me that the local residents had so much say as the houses in William Street were part of the old MATS plan and were earmarked for demolition for a dual carriageway road at that time.

As for the restraint of trade argument, I don't think there would be much of a case. Zoning under the Development Act would preclude any change of use for the site. If Council can stop a Maccas next to a school it would ave no problems stopping a concert hall in a reidential/industrial zone

Reply #376348 | Report this post

N  
Years ago

Reply #376385 | Report this post

Jo  
Years ago

Do the lightning girls play there as well?

Reply #376386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JO...yes

Reply #376387 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:25 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754