Anonymous
Years ago

Crocs sign new Import - Curtis Withers

Crocs have been active on Twitter & Facebook saying there will be a LIVE web stream of the conference at 11am.

2nd import to be announced.

Topic #29102 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

It's Curtis Withers.

Draft Express Profile.

Reply #376426 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

If its him hes definately not a 4/5.

Reply #376431 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Withers played in the NBDL last season, split between two teams, Dakota and Sioux Falls. Whilst playing for Dakota he appeared in 32 games averaged 8ppg, 6.3rpg and 0.4bpg. Whilst playing for Sioux Falls Curtis averaged 14ppg, 6.8rpg abd 2.1apg.
From AndTheFoul.

Looks like he or Holmes may play the five as I don't know that Hinder or Allen would start. Not going to be a particularly big team in the front court. Surely Withers would be the C as Holmes is a bit undersized even as a PF.

Reply #376436 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Hm... Not sure I would play him at the 5.. 6'6" acording to Draft Express.

Reply #376439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting centre heights this year
Schenscher 216
Pledger 215
Burston 211
Crosswhite 210
Tragardh 209
Davidson 208
Knight 204
Withers 203

Perth and Townsville going small but tough.

Reply #376440 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Although it is noteworthy both Perth and Townsville have BIG backup centres, and tough rebounding PFs to sit next to the centres as well.

Reply #376442 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

This guy wasn't even on their shortlist so obviously their original talks fell through.

Reply #376445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perths backup centre is Trueman. They have no big guys. Townsville have two tall perimeter players. Could be a good fit with a banger but their starters have to play fast.

Reply #376446 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Fair call, I had the idea in my head Trueman was taller than he is.

Reply #376447 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Unless this guy plays well above his size, my high hopes for this season have just been dashed somewhat. Pretty weird to publicly narrow down the search to two guys and then announce the signing of a completely separate guy.

They had plenty of money to spend on these two imports so they better be HUGE on the court.

Reply #376449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fast can work you just have to do it well. Woolpert has built a team to try and beat Perth.

Reply #376450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

much more athletic team - more more physical team

BUT

much shorter at the C position.

Reply #376452 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I think the true x factor for the Crocs will be Ben Allen. He's been working with Pat Reidy during the off season, he was on the out & then Woolpert had a sudden change of heart.. I think it's do or die for his Croc career this year.

Reply #376453 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Mick I don't think there was much money at all...Much less money was NEEDED because of the departure of Schenscher and the downgrades of Cedar/Hinder/Allen's contracts, but I daresay that that big difference was not reinvested to the same level. Nevertheless, personally I like the versatility of the team, and agree that Allen could be a big hinge here. He is doing well in QBL (18pts, 13rbs). Similar output to M Cedar and Blanchfield, so hopefully that can translate to an increase in production in the NBL.

Reply #376455 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

The Kings will also struggle at the centre if Crosswhite is injured or gets into foul trouble.

Lazare and Garlepp are their next options and most centres would tower over them.

Reply #376458 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think youre right Ziah. I was assuming they would spend to a similar level and have a lot for imports, but it looks as if they are taking a sustainable position. Good on them if true.

The two imports they have gotten give them athleticism and strength which complements a team of shooters. Good balance, enough talent to compete for playoffs, but hard to see it being a championship calibre team.

Nat, I agree re Allen, if he can have a productive year and hit jumpers like he did in college he could partner Withers very well at the offensive end, same with Hinder if he can still be productive.

Reply #376459 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

I am pretty confident I am right. I am also gonna say we can be championship calibre, cos I'm biased and desperate to see it happen. Hinge it on Allen and the imports.

Reply #376460 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If the fans dont believe who does?!

I actually think Hinder could be a big x-factor. His 2011 season was very good, shooting around 45% from deep to give Schenscher room and playing tough defence.

If he could approach anything like that again the Crocs will be dangerous. Forte and Withers could be hard to guard if the key is open.

Reply #376464 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I remember Rosell Ellis being pretty tough but he struggled against the length of players like Schenscher. Interesting decision which will be interesting to watch....

Reply #376466 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Mick Cedar and Ben Allen need to start working hard on the court on game night. From all accounts they are monsters in the training gym, and as hard working as you could find away from the official games, but I've never seen either of them so much as run at full pace during an NBL game let alone dive on a loose ball.. I think they both know it now, so I'm expecting (or hoping) for a respectable campaign from both of them.

So many question marks with this team right now. Can't wait to see how it comes together on the court. Three guys playing for contracts/careers in M Cedar, Allen and Hinder. Two new imports without much of a pedigree as another unknown quantity. No one over 6"7' or so in the starting lineup, but at the same time, it's by no means small when you add in the length of Blanchfield and Forte. Ultimate small ball lineup, IMO.

PG: Forte 6"6'
SG: Crawford 6"3'
SF: Blanchfield 6"7'
PF: Holmes 6"7'
C: Withers 6"7 (ive seen him listed at 6"6' and 6"8' so I'm splitting the difference).

Few teams will be able to match up with that.

Reply #376470 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Predicting mass facial reconstructive surgeries for every other PG in the league trying to guard Forte

Reply #376479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mick, Holmes is 6'6".

Reply #376481 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

I dont expect much from the crocs on paper.... 5-8th place id expect.

Reply #376496 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

NZ, Perth, Cairns and Townsville in top four is already set, Hurls. Adelaide are in the mix too. No one else is close.

Reply #376545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

going to be a pretty close competition this year IMO

Sydney will be better
Adelaide are better
Perth may have slipped a bit
Melbourne should be better
Cairns, Townsville look to be either better or at least on par from last year
NZ look to be the clear favourite & Wollongong maybe the least favoured team???

sound about right?

Reply #376580 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Agree with anon above. Except I don't think Sydney or Melbourne will be any better. Expect them to be the two worst teams.

Reply #376590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns are a chance but can't see Townsville making the top four.

Reply #376605 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Townsville always surprise me so consider this my reverse-jinx, but they'll have to get very lucky with both imports to press the top teams, IMO. Look to have gambled on the PG and also on the big?

Reply #376621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like a 'financial constraints' gamble too.

Take out Gill/Mims for Forte/Withers and they've essentally swapped Schenscher for Hinder who's returning from injury enforced year off.

Reply #376625 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The only problem with the financial constraints in Townsville is playing under in recent seasons is that every year they go without winning it all is another year they drift further away from the local public's consciousness. Basketball used to be huge in Townsville, even long after the national "demise" of the sport, but now the average local would struggle to name a single player on the team.

They are struggling to get people through the gates at the moment. The people who do bother to show up barely even cheer.

Spend just a little more and it might be better financially in the long term. You add a 6"11' legit starting NBL center to this roster and it's a bona fide championship contender. With Withers its a playoff contender for now, with championship hopes resting on many (waaay too many for my liking) variables.

They narrowed their search down to two guys (none of whom were Withers), and obviously couldn't get either of them to put pen to paper. The whole offseason was spent teasing fans about this near-seven-foot monster the front office was about to bring over from the States. Instead we got a guy that looks to be undersized even for the power forward position starting as your center. It pisses people off if the gamble doesn't pay off. And pissed off people don't pay money for seats.

An extra twenty or forty grand and you might have the "back to the basket post monster" that the fans were promised, a title and sellouts for the next couple of seasons. It's still a gamble, but so is the "fiscally responsible" position of not ponying up the dough at all.

Instead of being right up there from the get go with Perth & NZ, your title hopes* are resting on whether or not Ben Allen can play pro ball -- and right now everything I've ever seen says he can't.

I know which gamble I'd rather take. But hey, it's not my decision. And I'm the rare pissed off guy who will pay for seats either way.

*Obviously it all changes and I eat my words if Withers and Forte are both absolute gems -- even playing out of position. But it's still a huuuuge gamble to be making with a squad that was one win away from the finals last season.

On another note: who was the last team to win it all in the NBL with a "small ball" roster?

Reply #376641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I feel for Crocs fans but NBL teams in general cant afford 7 foot imports anymore.

Reply #376649 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Of all the thousands of Americans playing as imports around the world only about 25 in total are seven footers, and Im not aware of any that play in any of the major leagues.

In the Euroleague last year I think there were three imports over 6'9 (and one of them was Jawai), but a lot of 6'8-6'9 Americans playing centre, so I dont think it's a case of being able to afford them.

As a generalisation, almost any US big man who can walk and chew gum gets into the NBA system, and those that cant either give up or go and play in some minor league where being tall is enough to be effective.

Reply #376670 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Absolutely. Which is why I was wary of Woolpert's claims from the outset. Always think the best route in NBL is to fill the C spot with a local guy.

But there's still a few guys bigger than 6"7' available as imports.

Who knows, they might make small ball work.

Reply #376690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone is wary of your claims!

Reply #376706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea, i always wondered why they didnt sign say Horvath or the best big guy they can get in NZNBL/SEABL to replace Schensch and then still bring in these imports. Legit import C's are almost impossible to find, you always end up with an undersized guy who is more of a PF, or a bigger guy with serious flaws to his game but still costs top dollar as a big guy.

As a rule id always sign a Aussie C, and have import 4/5 if need a big import.

I suppose the crocs could be hoping Allen will step up and start? big risk imo.

Reply #376710 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

The intent is to start Withers as the C, according to the coaching staff.

Not sure how the rotations will work. So much of this year is going to depend on how Woolpert works his rotations, but he should be up to the task.

You will know by the first game whether Ben Allen is ready for pro ball. If he comes out of the locker room with his hair all gelled up like his first two seasons, i think it will be a good indication that he still doesn't get it.

Here's hoping.

Reply #376716 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:31 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754