Isaac
Years ago

36ers confirm interest in import CJ Massingale

Hardly a secret recently, but this is the first official confirmation that he's on the 36ers' radar:

Sixers coach Marty Clarke confirmed today Massingale was on a list of potential imports he had been considering, which also included Geelong Supercats' Kimmani Barrett before he went down injured.

Massingale, a 29 year-old 191cm shooting guard with Knox Raiders, has been a SEABL star for seven years and was named in the league's 30th anniversary team.
"He's not a 'lock' for the spot but he has a lot of positives,' Clarke said of Massingale, who he saw "close up" when he coached against him with the AIS.

"I've seen him destroy us a few times. We don't need a superstar scorer but it would be good to know he has that in him too.

"He had a 45-point game a week ago."
Full article

The 36ers have 13 points remaining. Massingale would be a 10. Word is that Vasiljevic (the 36ers' hopeful back-up big) is probably a 4, throwing a spanner in the works.

I wasn't expecting any imports to start the season, so a livewire gamble is A-OK by me. Hopefully the club can make it happen.

Edit: Hadn't heard of Kimmani Barrett much before. 26 PPG, 9 RPG for Geelong. About 51% from the field including 39% from 3P. Pretty decent output.

Massingale's numbers have been 25/6/4 at 47% FG and 37% 3P. Has hit 40 points twice this season.

Topic #29104 | Report this topic

Hurls  
Years ago

I thought it was amazing in that write up marty clarke said they didnt need a scorer??? I mean sorry but thats EXACTLY what they need what a moron!

Reply #376494 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I think they were gonna go all Aussie , but Darren Ng retired.

Reply #376499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel Dillon anyone?

Reply #376500 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hurls, he said they don't need a superstar scorer, and they don't. Five of the players averaged double figures last season and a few of them weren't at their best through injury, etc. Creek and Cadee could be expected to improve on last year's 5 PPG too.

If Massingale averages 8-12 PPG, that's fine.

That'd make a swag of guys capable of hitting 20 on their night.

Reply #376501 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Vasiljevic was a 4 point (down from 5 by appeal) back in 2011. In the same rating period, Mottram was a 6 (down from 9 by appeal). If Mottram has dropped to a 3, can't see why Vasiljevic couldn't too if we appealed the 4.

I'm sure this board would explode with joy if we sign Massingale. He's been the posterboy for 'give him a shot' ever since I've been posting here. Never seen him play, but by the sounds of it, he's a scorer who doesn't defend. Could work well in a line-up with Creek and Gibson who are more defensive options who can score a bit too.

Reply #376503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massingale, looks good to me surprised more teams dont look at SEABL/NZNBL imports, many would be as good if not better than some of the imports who have played NBL.

Even if he averages half of his SEABL he will average around 12 pts/3 assists/2 rebounds, which is basically as good as Warren last season, with decent shooting clip (hopefully 38% 3pt shooting in SEABL) and the ability to explode for 20 on any given night, also probably cheap as just looking for the chance to prove himself.

Look it in i say, doubt you will find too much better given we would likely have minimal cash available, same for Pero V, would be very happy if these 2 complete our roster.

This roster is looking very good to me, and glad they are going for an import, even if a cheaper SEABL one, as opposed to just going for a Dillon type, import has more potential, remember Redhage was a SEABL import back in the day and turned out to be MVP level after a couple of seasons, Massingale could end up being a bargain if he proves to be anything close to Redhage level.

Reply #376506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And surely the NBL will drop Pero V by one point, he hasnt played NBL for a few years and isnt likely to be signed anywhere else, pretty sure there is a rule in the points cap about dropping by 1 point to enable the player to get a job.

Reply #376507 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Alot of NZNBL imports were also imports in the NBL:

Jason Crowe, Nick Horvath (now naturalised), Justin Bailey, Larry Abney, Eric Devendorf, Galen Young, Darryl Hudson, Rashard Tucker, Kevin Braswell.

NBL teams need to start looking into the NZNBL for cheap, good quality imports. I truly believe its best for teams to load its roster with very good local players (Like the 36ers have done) and then go out and get relatively cheap imports who can still contribute.

I think ANBL teams should have really gone hard and done more homework on getting Jerry Smith.

Dude went on to play for the New Jersey Nets.

Reply #376510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

exactly, thats why you can get a good comparison as you know basically what those NBL experienced imports can do in the NBL, most of them were quite good, so you can judge a non NBL experienced against them based on NZ NBL form.

ie player x averaged 20 pts, 5 assists, the same as Braswell in the NZBL so they should be atleast around 13pts 3 assists in the NBL, possibly better.

Much safer bet than getting someone totally different imo and probably cheaper to, they are also close to Australia so you may be able to get a few of them to train with you for a week or 2 as a trial, even if you pay them a little bit as an incentive.

I hope the 36ers do sign Massingale or a NZ NBL import, would be awesome to give one of those guys a crack and i think there is a fair chance you can get a bargain.

Reply #376512 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Cj's names been floating around for long enough now. give the lad a shot...

Reply #376520 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

If we sign him, whether he performs well or not, there will be people saying 'I told you so'

Reply #376523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For obvious reasons.

Reply #376524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pero is now rated as a 3 point player. Seems the jigsaw puzzle is taking shape

Reply #376525 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The obvious reason being that everyone thinks they know best!

Reply #376529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't this CJ Massingale do a preseason with the Charlotte Bobcats last year?

Reply #376530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some doubt CJ ability to defend.I would argue that the role he is employed in at Knox is to score heavily and is the go to player most times.
At Knox they don't have the luxury of multiple options to score so after looking at his numbers over many years you would have to say that mission accomplished.
Not knowing what would be required of him in a 36 line up he is just too good not to be able to adapt
If selected,you can guarantee a new supporter base in Melbourne

Reply #376531 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

If BA kept their finger out of every pie in relation to imports and visiting tourists playing in local competitions the game would be better off.

Unfortunately in the past 24 months we have seen constant changes made by BA to disrupt clubs bringing in imports especially in CABL, SBL, WBL and DBL.

Reply #376532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Changes such as what FM?

Reply #376540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just ask BA to explain why it took so long for the Spectres import to be cleared. Ultimately it made him ineligible for the fianls, that's how bad they are.

Reply #376542 | Report this post

$$  
Years ago

The word around Pero will play for as little as $40,000 ...Bargain

Reply #376550 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

How is CJ a 10? Has played SEABL for 7 years, so clearly not up to the standards of what a 10 should be I would think. Never seen him play an know nothing about him, hit based on the fact he isn't getting NBL level gigs, should he really be rated a 10? This kind of proves how stupid this points system is

Reply #376552 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Will cop a heap of criticism over this but I fail to see why the Sixers would chase Pero? I think he's incredibly overrated at ABL level, has an absolutely disgraceful attitude, is not a good scorer nor 1 on 1 defender. Is also not the most intelligent player on the floor either. He's absolutely killed North's program and watching him play on the weekend I was not anymore impressed. For someone who should have been the go to guy on offense he was almost a non-factor really. Would so much rather a Vanderjagt or even a local import Brian Moultrie.

Reply #376553 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Interesting point with CJ being a 10. If he was naturalized next week (hypothetically), having only played SEABL for the last 7 years, would his rating be like a 3 or 4??

Reply #376555 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Come on AK-47 your arguement just fell down when you suggested Vanderjagt!
Pero 18 points and 11 boards, Vanderjagt 15 points and 7 rebounds. Ben Allen is averaging 17 and 12 in that league! ;)

Reply #376559 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

#The Brad - CABL isn't the same level as SEABL or QBL so Pero's numbers are vastly inflated compared to QBL/SEABL numbers.

When looking at the nu,bers across the ABA league it is better to take a snap shot of players when playing against other teams in the top 4 or 5 as opposed to a number of guys who's numbers are inflated playing against the lower teams whih have little to no talent!

Reply #376562 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Its not only about statistics in current SEABL/ABL leagues although Tiger Watcher is correct in sayingg SEABL is by far more competitive than ABL. As a locker room presence I think Vanderjagt brings more as a far as attitude and experience goes. Lets face it, this last position isn't going to be required to play heaps of minutes so a personality fit is just as important in my opinion.

Reply #376570 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How is CJ a 10?
"Restricted" players are automatically a ten in their first year.

Reply #376573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AK-47,

You have no idea - Do you even speak to the guy.

Despite losing players North finished higher up than when coached the previous year by the coach of the year Tracey York (no criticism of Tracy)

Injuries have hit North hard at year end and only 9 suited up for the final and that was after getting special permission from BSA to suit up an U23 otherwise would have been eight

People have different views of how a team should play. Given the injuries this is an amazing result

Reply #376576 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Anonymous,

I'm sure if I spoke to the guy he'd tell me about how well he is running the squad, how great a leader he is and how much good he's doing. Speak to the players and I'm not so sure you'd get the same answer. Before you tell me I have no clue wait to see how many players stick around Pero's program.

Reply #376586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am part of his program and I am more than happy. Every club has players who are not happy with certain things but it is then down to the character of those individuals as to how they handle it. They either run away seeking an easier time or knuckle down and work and get better. I guess we will see the character of some players won't we

Reply #376632 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Players don't always move because they want an easier time... That's just a stupid comment... Because if that's the case, what's that say about people moving to Sturt, or Forrestville? Hmmmm

Reply #376650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricey,

I didn't say that or I was unclear. Yes people move for other reasons but as it relates to what AK-47 was saying then I think I am spot on

Reply #376653 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Actually, it's exactly what you typed lol...

Reply #376654 | Report this post

Idiot  
Years ago

I think if Pero gets the gig it will be with limited playing time, basically there to cover injuries. With the line up already i doubt he'll play much at all. Massingale seems with our current line-up fit in quite well as a sixth man back -up shooting gd or even slowly weened into the nbl system coming of the bench with no expectations and he will blossum.
I believe this line up is potent, we can mix n match, has good depth at all positions.
Johnson is the next chris anstey and with schenscher next to him, exciting times for the 36ers.
Potential line-up
Schenscher, johnson, pero
Johnson, Petrie, Weigh
Weigh, Creek,
Creek, Massingale , Crosswell
Gibson, Cadee, Crosswell

Maybe even Creek will play a back up sf role with all the decent guards we have.

Reply #376659 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I actually like the idea of Gibson starting at the 1 and Creek at the 2.

A depth chart looking like this would be good:

C/ Schencher(30)/Johnson(10)/back up big(0)
PF/ Johnson(20)/ Petrie(20)
SF/ Weigh (25)/ Creek(10)/Massingale(5)
SG/ Creek(10)/Gibson(10)/Massingale(10)/Cadee(10)
PG/ Gibson (20)/Cadee(10)/Crosswell(10)

We definitely have the depth to see minutes vary every night according to performance. Eg Creek playing 30 and Weigh just 20 because Creek is unguardable/shutting down offensive player or Johnson is far to quick for opposition centre so needs more time at the 5 etc

Reply #376743 | Report this post

AMAZIN  
Years ago

Is CJ a good 3 point shooter.

Reply #376777 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Massingale shot 37.4% in the current SEABL season. Has been in the 37-40% range in the last five years. Best mark in the SEABL was 44% 6-7 years ago.

For comparative purposes, 40% made fifth spot in the NBL last season (Corletto). 37.4% would've had Massingale around the mark of Darren Ng and CJ Bruton last season, and better than Lisch, Deleon, Mills, etc. Top 36ers last season were Johnson (37.8%) and Ng (37.5%).

So, yes, seems like a decent shooter.

Reply #376782 | Report this post

Local Lad  
Years ago

Have seen CJ play on a number of occasions - he has a knack for dropping threes with defenders in his face on a regular basis.

Will be a good recruit if the 36ers choose to go with him.

Reply #376784 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Percentages do tend to drop as players go up in standard, but he certianly isnt a bad shooter and is very dangerous when hot.

Reply #376785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Paul, but if the person he's guarding is scoring at the same clip or betterwhat's the point?
CJ is slowing down and the next level for him will be more physical, stronger, faster and harder.

Reply #376801 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No doubt if he cant defend his court time will be limited by that.

After all the years of talk - he's not good enough, yes he is, no he's not - I would just like to see him give it a crack. If he is in the process of being naturalised I think he has a few years in front of him. An Aussie who's done what he has in the SEABL would get signed pretty quickly.

Reply #376811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't an issue with D Ng

Reply #376813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ding always played at that level and despite his defensive weaknesses was a pure shooter. CJ isn't.
Why is it a good idea to hire a cheap import, and then if he doesnt perform sit him cos he isnt good enough.
Why not simply just say, it's time he deserved a shot and as an import he's cheap and that all the money we have left after splurging on the rest of the roster.

Reply #376892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should sign Renardo Sidney

Reply #377020 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:30 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754