Jack Toft
Years ago

ABL Finals Week 3 - The Eagles/Flames Show

Probably should play this week on neutral ground, or at one home ground. But which one? Flip a coin time? Maybe with the rain the Wayville Aquatic Centre might be closed and they have to play both games at MARS.

Women:
Norwood - Eagles
Better book the physios for Monday, this will be a bonecrunching affair. Strap yourself in 'cos this is going to be an absolute clash of the titans as they go for domination, some say this is the faux grand final. Who would have thought that North was going to dent Norwood's dreams like a hammer into the bonnet of an ex! If the Eagles don’t win, all that fuss over scoresheets will be for nothing. If the Flames don’t win all that talent would be wasted.
I would like to think that Norwood would be rewarded for a fine season, but who would deny the Apple Munchers a choice for four straight in a row? Life is all about choosing between good and bad, and sometimes between nefarious and facinorous.
The Eagles have had it all over the Flames this season and there’s every reason that they will have a tilt at four in a row next week. Forestville and wins go together like Eduard Munch and a Scream. Early showers for Flames, not how they would want their season to end.

Men:
Eagles - Norwood
A great game at Pasadena last week that could have gone either way but Sturt really do know how to bag a winner, just like Barney Stinson. Eagles are now in Norwood’s sights and if they went home with a Sweedish backpacker last week, what will they go home with this week?
Forestville have had a great season but Norwood have iced two daggers into their heart this season, the second gave Sturt the minor premiership, and so if this is not motivation for Forestville, I don’t know what else would be.
Norwood are the kings of kool in tight squeezes with 11 of their games this season going to single points, them winning 7 times. The Feagles have gone 2 from 7 in single point games, but have cracked the ton and raised their bat to the crowd like Steve Waugh on 4 nights.
Everything suggests a Feagles win. They have the rebounding height, they have the three point arsenal, they have the rash, but Norwood are their boogie side this year and this one should be tighter than a fat kid in a rashie vest. That’s why Norwood will be having a crack at the Smurfs next week.

Topic #29123 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, feagles to win the womens and the flames men to go home with helga, the swedish backpackers' even more attractive cousin.

Reply #376735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking forward to Womens game should be a cracker. Hard to predict a winner expect the Flames to come out hard. Norwood would not want to lose this game given their stellar form all year. This would be a monumental CHOKE if they were to lose. Game on....

Reply #376800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't call it a choke. They were beaten by a North team who shot the lights out from 3 point range. With that said Brenton didn't change the gameplan to counter it. Then they don't match up well with Forestville and it has been evident over the last 4 years.

I also think the winner of this match will also win the title. I don't think North will be able to shot as well as they have the last 2 weeks after having a week off.

Reply #376825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flames in the men!

Reply #376875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah flames in the men, norwood sholuld have the confidence edge here and their experience should help pull them over the line.

Reply #376924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's about time Norwood invested in there juniors and not around the other way . Stop trying to buy a trophy on the women's side .
This hasn't achieved any thing yet , the previous ABL coaches had a policy of playing juniors that had grown up with club with perhaps 1 import .

Both programs have played finals and the later has been at the expense of juniors moving clubs.So the question for the club is which program is better ?

Reply #376994 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wow what a turn around in the men from their previous encounters. Eagles dominating the Flames at half time. The usual suspects, Tucker, Doyle, Sullivan on fire.

Reply #377031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, great job Norwood women!!!

Reply #377042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

apple eaters dont prosper yeah!

Reply #377053 | Report this post

Checkin  
Years ago

Think Simon should stay away. Same old same old, how many of Nwd top 5 girls are Nwd juniors. Whoops

Reply #377054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares they beat apple eaters

Reply #377056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a great Womens match. Both teams should be proud as neither really deserved to lose.

Reply #377057 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Think everyone outside Marden will be hoping North bring home the goodies next week.

Reply #377058 | Report this post

J-Smooth  
Years ago

The basketball gods are smiling today! Well done BJ to lead the Norwood Flames over the Apple Muchers...Poetic Justice has triumphed!

Reply #377064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well , let's just hope that the Norwood girls start well in the G/F or otherwise BJ will go silent and sit down. How's this let's use Foley as a decoy and by the time North wake up the game is over at Q/T

Reply #377070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the immortal words from the movie classic Good Will Hunting:

'How do you like them Apples'

Reply #377072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The mens was a great game too, just a bit one-sided!

Reply #377081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes eagles played awesome defense flames couldn't sink their shots. Not their usual game their starters looked tired except Matthews & off the bench Giovine & Dan webber put in some good minutes. Not enough though to bring home the win. For a change the refs were not too bad.

Reply #377085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yup norwood men couldnt hit a boat if they fell out of water and played probably the worst ive seen them play this season. The eagles were outstanding and deserved this win and i wouldnt be surprised if we see them skin the sabrs next week.

Reply #377087 | Report this post

Stats  
Years ago

looking at the stats Norwood shot it at 40% which is better than their season average of 37%....

Reply #377089 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Obviously disappointing for Norwood men, didn't play well at all but I think this had a lot to do with the way Forestville played. Disruptive defensively and executed brilliantly in both transition and half court sets offensively. Doyle was absolutely outstanding, game MVP in my opinion. Will be a cracker next week!

Reply #377091 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I am a bit sad the Lady Eagles didn't make it to the GF and make it back to back to back to back. Regular readers would know my running gag this season was "Forestville and wins go together like .....". I was kinda hoping they would do four in a row and have been saving one joke for the GF.

"Forestville and titles go together like Lance Armstong and the Tour de France"

It was a lot funnier at the start of the season......

Reply #377092 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

Anon 7087, did you mean couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat? One of my favorite posts ever, thank-you

Reply #377094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North lucky to get over Norwood last week and cant see the Norwood dream team dropping two in a row to North

As for Norwood men it is about time they wake and provide a true pathway for their juniors rather than keep bringing in other players. Best two players in the recent past were Moultrie (import) and Lycett (North. Nothing really coming through for them at the moment though I wouldn't be surprised to see them go out on a recruiting drive from other clubs, promising them the world, guaranteed minutes etc further turning their back on the junior program

Perhaps these juniors should wake up and see what opportunities are out there away from the Flames

Reply #377097 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Anonymous,

You're either an upset kid on the end of the bench, in which i'd be pretty disappointed in you or a clueless onlooker.

Every club has an import/sixer/ex-sixer here and there as well as players who played their juniors at other clubs. Forestville have Tucker and Mottram, Sturt have Ng, West have their import and Braithwaite, North have Pero, Bond, Mapunda and Brine. There's the 4 other finals teams without going too deeply.

I am in fact good friends with all the Juniors coming through as I played in that age group and by their own admission none are quite yet capable of playing competitive minutes. Unless you're names Daly, a first or second year out of 18's doesn't really warrant regular ABA minutes. Sturt again is the leading example and do a fantastic job of elevating the right guys into their ABA system and grooming them for success at this level.

Reply #377108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

every sturt mens aba player is a sturt junior and has played for only sturt, with the exception of Ng (woodville). They are the exception to the rule.

Reply #377109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certain members of the Norwood committee need to look at their role in the state of the mens program. One current and one past committee member are only there for the benefit of the kids! Brad is a great coach but his just like Rupert and wouldn't have an idea of the juniors coming through! Missed a massive opportunity to develop a promising point guard while Todd Matthew was around !! Maybe they should look after there own who inturn would develope their own!!

Reply #377111 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Anonymous,

I'd love to know the name of this promising point guard?

Reply #377115 | Report this post

JUBJUB  
Years ago

The point guard AK, is the one and same who has been threatening the club to leave and play for Sturt the past three seasons. This PG also has also been demanding a div 1 spot in the 23's. Too injured to play basketball but still played footy, behind coaches back. Norwood still need another "money", AK!

Reply #377121 | Report this post

phobos 89  
Years ago

Anon 377111 u r so clueless if u think a committee member can have that much influence on where their kids play. Actually u would know that if u even bothered to volunteer 1 minute of your time to the club. But no you sit back year after year and expect everybody else to to the work. Then you snipe and whinge and complain and threaten everyone to try and get your way. U are the epitome of the ugly parent. Could you do us all a favour? Please, please.. just SHUT UP AND LEAVE!!!!

Reply #377123 | Report this post

Stats  
Years ago

Hamish Burns is a Forestville Junior on Sturt's roster..

Reply #377129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hamish burns moved clubs quite some time ago!

Reply #377142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah so not a true sturt junior, however he acts like one now

Reply #377145 | Report this post

Stats  
Years ago

1 season ago..

Reply #377152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Almost 2 full years or 4 seasons actually. His development in that time has been remarkable. At his old club the senior coach wouldn't even know he existed.

Reply #377157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umm why are we discussing Juniors getting playing time for ABA? all due respect a kid under 18 Dv1 should be happy to get a run in Youth league lulz U23 @ Dv1-2 off the bench before they get a chance at ABA. Is fast tracking a player beneficial maybe only to the parents?? not the club not the ABA team not the kids. Progression and age groups are there for a reason if he stands out in youth league he will get looked at.

Reply #377158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure Norwood is made up of all Norwood juniors except moultrie and Lycett? So then why should forestville have tucker, mottram, Sullivan etc. what's the difference??

Reply #377169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah I dont see the relevance of mentioning juniors in here.

Sturt have
Ng (woodville)
Burns (F/Ville)
Donaldson (norwood)

Reply #377170 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:01 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754