Anonymous
Years ago

Junior Age Grouping

Is it time for BSA to review the age grouping of Basketball? Has BSA ever done a survey on the reasons why junior players leave basketball to play other sports?

Was speaking to a 14 year olds parent today who's child (a div1 Player) was giving up basketball to play U16 football! The child had told his parents that he wasn't comfortable playing against 17 year olds and would rather play football against kids of his own age!

At what point does one think it's ridiculous having a 16 year old play under 23s, when they would have been under 18 for the entire season of under 18s???

Topic #29132 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

THe age groups are great. If he doesnt like he can play in a lower division. That way he doesnt have to play with the big, scarey boys.

Reply #376817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fourteen year olds do not play against seventeen year olds. Same old bs. from the ill informed.

Reply #376818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no but 17 yr olds do play against 22 year olds. they need to bring back U20 then into youth U23.

Reply #376819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

14 year old born in November or december sure does!!!

Reply #376820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You always play against kids either a year older and than a years younger the next, what's the issue? Once you hit youth league if you are good enough as a 17-18 year old you should be able to compete against the older kids a lot of kids just out of 18s or still in are doing more than find in youth league, players like spear, Thomas, Clark, daly, burns and johns to name a few. If you aren't good enough you play in a lower div 1st couple yl seasons against not so good and scary guys.
I don't see any problem.

Reply #376821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Few grammar errors but I'm half asleep and made a quick post before bed, apologies!

Reply #376822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

worst possible scenario

Player 1 is a first year born on December 31

Player 2 is a second year born on January 1

Season starts in October, Player 1 is 14, Player 2 is 16.

That's the biggest age gap possible.

At no stage does a player 14 play against someone who is 17.

Reply #376824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youth league is not juniors. If you are good enough at 17 like the above examples, you play. As for the other age groups, what's the problem? It's a two year age group, just like many other sport. Eg all players about to play u18 will be born in 96 or 97. Fourteen year olds do not and can not possibly play against seventeen year olds.

Reply #376830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you dont want to play against someone two years older... So when you get a chance to play ABA at 18 you dont want to play against 23 - 25 year olds???

Reply #376833 | Report this post

AJB  
Years ago

Dont argue about it just let him go. Opens up a div. 1 spot for a kid that wants to get somewhere in basketball. I have seen more kids wanting to play up an age group than complaining about the big boys.

Reply #376834 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

This is nearly as funny as those parents who are overheard every Easter or Melbourne trip saying "The Victorian kids are so big, but that's because they are a year older in their age groups"

The misinformation out there is incredible.

Reply #376838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So did you inform them that 14 year olds cannot possibly play against 17 year olds (who aren't eligible for U/18s next year), or aren't you smart enough to work it out either?

Reply #376845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Parents give me the shits

Reply #376846 | Report this post

Mantis  
Years ago

worst possible scenario

At no stage does a player 14 play against someone who is 17.
Your example is wrong - if Player 1 is 14yo in October 2012, they will be a 2nd-year U16 (born 1997), and 16yo Player 2 would be a 2nd-year in U18s (born 1995).

But you are right, a 14yo won't ever play against a 17yo, even when he turns 15. The largest possible age gap would be if Player A was born on 1/1/98 and Player B was born on 31/12/99. In October 2012 Player A will be a 14yo 2nd year in U16s and B will be a 13yo 1st year. Next Winter season, they will be 15 and 14. In Oct 2013 Player B will be a 14yo 2nd-year and Player A would have moved up to U18s as a 15yo first year. Player A will play against player who are 17yo, but he'll turn 16 before that can happen.

Reply #376847 | Report this post

AJB  
Years ago

Should have told them what Mantis just wrote. He would have been 15 by the time you finished.

Reply #376851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So sorry to ask you to reconfirm details, but is there ever an advantage depending on when you were born?

Are you better off being born end of December, or start of Jan or are some of the above posts indicating that when you are born is irrelevant and there is no advantage or disadvantage associated?

Reply #376856 | Report this post

AJB  
Years ago

There is definitly an advantage but the line has to be drawn somewhere. It will always be in any junior sport. Only alternative would be to play in single year age groups, then you would play the same group for ten years and die of boredom.

Reply #376860 | Report this post

Triton  
Years ago

Gotta Love ill informed people expectng BSA to change age group which is actually a FIBA rule for Junior World Championships when little Johnny is a bit scared of move up against kids 1 year older than him.

To explain again, a 14 year old cannot play a 17 year old.

Reply #376862 | Report this post

Hanging Round  
Years ago

Most football associations also have a 2 year 'gap' (U9, U11, U13 and so on) so I don't understand the point of this thread

Reply #376866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mantis if a player is 14 in October, turns 15 this December that makes him 16 in December 2013 meaning at the start of the summer season which begins in October he will be 14 and playing Under 18s

I'm not wrong

Reply #376878 | Report this post

Mad Season  
Years ago

Yes but all the players he's playing against will be 16, none will be 17. They will turn 17 after he turns 15. I'm not sure what is so difficult about this?

Reply #376879 | Report this post

Junjo  
Years ago

Can you not work this out anon?

Just because they are 14 at the start of the season doesnt mean that other players will be 17.

Anyone who has already turned 17 before dec 31st will be unable to play U18's as they will turn 18 the following season.

So anyone born dec 31st will only even play against someone who is 16, or at a maximum 2 years minus 1 day older than then.

And no matter where you draw a date from, it will ultimately effect someone.

PS Luke Schensher is a dec 31st born I think.

Reply #376880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to unwrap the cotton wool sooner or later and let them HTFU in 12 months time he will be the bigger one and the next little jonny will have the same thing.....

Reply #376885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go play footy and this happens

http://m.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/st-peters-college-and-prince-alfred-college-in-off-field-stoush-over-footy-game-violence/story-e6frea83-1226457337729

Reply #376900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Junjo I understand its hard to track but I never said they would Mantis claimed a 14 year old would still be in Under 16s. He's wrong. A 14 year could, as of the start of the Summer Season be playing under 18s.

As I've posted above and re posted below the worst case scenario is a 14 year old playing against a 16 year old.

"worst possible scenario

At no stage does a player 14 play against someone who is 17."

Reply #376902 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

alkl true , but I think you can be playing against someone who has an additional 2 years and 364 days of physical growth and mental maturity over you.

However that does not necessarily mean you cannot do well, Alison Lacey was born on 31 of December and did OK in the NCAA.

Phil Smyth had ( from memory) 3 years of playing in the u20 nationals for SA.

Reply #376959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1 year and 364 days actually.

Reply #376960 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Bugger - an Anon who correctly corrected me - Bugger SOOOO Embarrassing.

Reply #376997 | Report this post

Big V  
Years ago

Daughter playing Youth League Final today is 15. She starts. Lots of hard work! Understand though BIG difference in the Mens divsions! Size Size Size. They will play where their abilities take them and always be proud of them. Too many are quick to berate Kids and Coaches.

Reply #377014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for the top players moving to U23's is not so much of an issue if they stay div 1-2, but for the good but not outstanding playing U23 div 3-4 with the monsters that use strength and Umps are not as skilled it is very intimidating. I know a lot, and I mean a lot, of kids who just stop playing at this point. It would be interesting if the stats were taken of how many leave the sport at district level when U18's is finished and U23 starts.
My older lad is at the cross roads now, he's always been on the edge of the div1 squad and he's thinking of giving it away which would be a shame as he's just starting to fill out and hasn't given his body the chance to reach potential, but it's his choice not mine.
I personally feel they should have U20's and introduced the U23's as new div. It would help keep kids playing BBall at district level, which means membership and fees for clubs, which in turn should flow on to BASA and facilities. It also gives older teenagers an outlet other than repeating the mistakes dad made at his age.

Reply #378295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Under 20s was dropped due to lack of court space. That's all. Once again the lack of basketball facilities holds back the sport.

Reply #378314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol I wonder where it flows on from BSA? Are their books even open to public scrutiny?

Reply #378320 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:57 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754