G-Funk-Era
Years ago

Woodville 118 vs Centrals 101

It was a great game 2 watch 2night down at the dome. Woodville got the run at the start and kept centrals there all night. back and forth action but the new big man import for Woodville showed his talent hitting 33 points and plenty of offensive boards to go with it. Camron Wilson & Andrew Puddifoot played a great offensive game with Mark Fuller helping the big men out on the defensive end.

Man of the match would have to be the import for Woodville great way to come out on ya first game.

I would take my hat of to him, if i was wearing one.

It should be another great game 2morrow with Eastern vs Woodville.

Topic #2916 | Report this topic

G-Funk-Era  
Years ago

Sorry guys dont have no stats for the game hope some1 can help us out with that.

Reply #33073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the new guy is matt elder and don't look at the stats they don't tell the whole story not sure what the stats caller is doing but elder was down for NO assists and he would have had 4 in the first half.

great game by pudds the best i've seen him play

Reply #33080 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I was the caller, and Elder had no assists, because his passes didnt count.

If a player looks to even improve position, or pass off the ball (even if they dont actually do it)...the assist is cancelled.

Direct quote from the statisticians manual :
"An assist is credited when a pass is made to a teammate who shoots and scores - provided the
shooter's immediate intention, upon receiving the ball, was to shoot and that intention was maintained
until the shot was taken. It does not prohibit an assist where the shooter takes time to balance or
makes a small play to score, provided the scorer always intended to shoot."

Other reasons are that we cant see everything, due to bodies being in the way, and if Matt had passed the ball down in the post at the western end (Warriors bench end), I normally have the coach, and a ref at the very least to try and see through.

Stats for the game are :

Elder 35 points (14/17 FG), 10 rebounds
Wilson 27 points, 6 rebs, 10 assists
Puddifoot 26 points, 13 rebounds

Centrals
Watson 23 points, 7 rebs, 5 assists
Wilkey 22 points
Reggie had 10, 11 and 8, almost pulling out the triple double.

Was a great game, Elder looks to be a find for Woodville.

Vandenbergh was back to his usual self, Watson was effective, Hammond was very quiet.

Birmingham was quieter than usual,but was covered by Wilson & Puddifoot.

Great game, great crowd, well done to the blue army for making the trip and giving the game a bit more atmosphere.

Reply #33081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hammond was quiet???? Great guy, but has he ever been anything other than quiet?? Hes a starter now, so whats he done then??

Reply #33084 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yogee -- well done with the clarification -- just learnt something new!

Reply #33088 | Report this post

FLY  
Years ago

Woodville won the women's too, by 18.

Reply #33092 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

well done yogee, but when you see steve nash with 19 assists and others the same sometimes do you reckon they go by that same definition. Because theres a huge difference in assists between NBA and NBL

Reply #33093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when Elder passes to a player who immediately shoots and gets the basket THAT is an assist

stand by what I said Elder had at least 4 assists in the first half

and no need to quote the stats hand book i actually do know what an assist is and how it is awarded

Reply #33097 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Rees would have led the game in assists almost, if the shots had dropped - he was finding guys everywhere.

Fuller on Watson was a great move, get him quiet for the first half where Woodville built the lead and kept it.

Elder was amazing, he doesn't miss!

A 6 man rotation of Elder, Rees, Birmingham, Puddifoot, Wilson, Fuller with Leroy off the bench is as good as it gets bar Sturt/Forestville. I take my hat off to Woodville - I along with many other peeps predicted them to not win a game - I stand corrected, they're top 5 for shizz.

Reply #33098 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Eating my words over here too, Libertine. Gaz and Mark were underrated going into this season. Only those who played reserves the last 2 years really know how good these two guys are (two straight grand finals says something).

Imagine if they re-signed the retired Scott Whitmore (still playing reserves) and Ben Todd!

Does anyone know how Scotty's going in the 2s?

Reply #33100 | Report this post

Woodville's zone worked a charm. the lead should of been about 30 odd but KB put on his bench players for the last 5 or so, and Centrals brought it back. I think woodville's unorthodox defenses (constantly switching between the 1-2-2 trap and 2-3 zone) is doing them a ton of favours.

Matt Elder seems like an excellent find, admittedly the opposition wasn't top notch (Centrals really only had Hammond to guard him) but to score 33 in his debut, with which I'd assume a reasonably high field goal percentage is excellent.

Reply #33105 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Problem is lowland, the team will become reliant on these defenses to win game rather than individual team talent. Once they have been scouted they wont be as strong in the 2nd half of the season.

Reply #33109 | Report this post

They aren't reliant on only that. Woodville are scoring a lot of points lately (two games in a row 118 points) and now with another offensive weapon to their arsenal I can see them easily making the finals

Reply #33113 | Report this post

Scott Whitmore  
Years ago

I'm going all right thanks Moses.

I started my first game last week and look forward to many more.

Reply #33115 | Report this post

Stinge  
Years ago

a box score for this game?

Reply #33120 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Stinge, I'd like to see a boxscore to prove it's true too ..... and no, I'm not talking about the ABL.

Reply #33132 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

Anonymous(#33109). stop being a hater man. this is a versitile line up with a great main 7 and good young players to back them up (e.g. zaneo when he comes back, swish pascoe). this is a playoff team and everyone no's it!! and to add to the, to only lose to f/ville by 4 (no newley i realise, but still a very good team) and 12 to a full strength sturt without rees puts them in good sted for the rest of the season.

Reply #33160 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

put a lid on it take luck.woodville has to now organise thier deep 9 man rotation.it will be tough to please everyone.

Reply #33162 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

its called wats best for te TEAM cheezy. YA NO. And the players int this year team seem to be good TEAM ppl. i cant c anyone there that wont want wats best for the TEAM. and if there is they wont be on the team i would say.

Reply #33188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can someone tell me how peter steel and that duncan guy are in the team

Reply #33263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are they

Reply #33279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 GUYS THAT PLAY FOR WOODVILLE, PETER STEEL STRUGGLED IN UNDER 20'S AND NOW HE IS PLAYING ABL ITS JUST WOEFUL

Reply #33293 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:12 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754