Anonymous
Years ago

NBL live streaming announced; $59/year early rego

THE NBL has signed a landmark deal that will see every game televised live across all digital platforms.

In what it claims is an Australian first, Basketball Australia will produce and distribute coverage of league games, plus men's and women's national team games in Australia, on NBL.TV

The long-term deal, effective from the start of the 2012-13 season in October, could eventually allow subscribers to view two games at once and on demand across smart phones, tablets, IPTV and PCs.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/basketball-boxes-clever-with-landmark-tv-deal-to-show-every-game/story-fndekpx4-1226459396997

Topic #29175 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

http://www.nbl.tv/

Interesting.

Reply #377285 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Huge.

Reply #377286 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Wait...

does this mean that every game they show will be live, or they are showing EVERY SINGLE GAME OF THE SEASON, ie. every game of every round, live...?

Reply #377288 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

YES BABY!!

Reply #377291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news! Depending on the price but the only bad thing about this is that NBL over the last couple of seasons typically hasn't been that great to watch. Go back to 48 minute games and i'm in!

Reply #377299 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Excellent news! Something we all believed was coming, but possibly better than expected.

Games need to be live and there also needs to be an ability to access archived games.

Loving the fact national team games are also part of the deal.

I'll be signing up for the early-bird $59 annual pass!

Reply #377300 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

^All matches live on smart-phone,

*All prices in Australian Dollars. Annual pass normally $79

Reply #377301 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Just saw that fine print too, LC.

So im guessing they wont show games live on PCs or tablets because then people can hook it up to their TV and watch it in comfort on a big screen?

Depending on how many games this will affect, it could be a sticking point.

Reply #377307 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

$59 is a bargain, seeing I was paying over $50 a month for foxtel just to watch the NBL 2 seasons ago

Reply #377308 | Report this post

The Howster  
Years ago

Full details of the new NBL broadcast deal can be found here:

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/2...roadcast-deal/

Also, you can now pre-register for NBL.TV at http://www.nbl.tv/earlyRegister

There is a $20 discount on the cost of an annual pass ($59 instead of the normal $79) if you pre-register by September 23rd.

Reply #377313 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Sign me up!

And it is just as easy to hook your PC up to your TV so don't see why tablets wouldn't be live also

Reply #377314 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

This is a great outcome sitting alongside the revised TEN deal.

Reply #377317 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

Excuse my ignorance, but does a site like that distinguish between say an android tablet and an android smartphone? In any case, my smartphone has a HDMI socket, so doesn't worry me!

Reply #377321 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It should.

Sites that are built by modern developers usually distinguish between a PC, tablet, and a smart phone so the content can be catered towards the particular device.

There are ways around it (having a third party browser that has an "identify browser as" option), but no way around it if it is app-powered.

Reply #377329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

will you be able to access the live games while traveling overseas or will it have IP restrictions?

Reply #377332 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

... but the only bad thing about this is that NBL over the last couple of seasons typically hasn't been that great to watch. Go back to 48 minute games and i'm in!
League hasn't been great to watch, so you want 8 extra minutes per game of that?

Registering now. Sounds like a good deal.

If you have an iPhone or iPad, grab an Apple TV for $99 or whatever they are now and use AirPlay. Easy process to dupe your phone/tablet screen to your TV.

Reply #377342 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBL on Twitter:

For those asking about NBL.TV, all @NBL games will be LIVE to mobile, with all Ten/ONE games simulcast to web

I've asked them about geo-restrictions.

FWIW, their promo site includes game footage shown on a laptop, so PCs might be fine. I've asked about that too.

Put together any more questions and we might be able to develop a quick FAQ to have them run through as well.

Reply #377344 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

I like this deal and going to sign up especially with the $20 early bird discount. Brilliant!

Reply #377346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.basketball.net.au/index.php?id=302&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2693&cHash=ff36427599

Reply #377347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is great! I wonder if it will include commentators?

Reply #377350 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

This is indeed excellent news. I will be subscribing for sure.

It would be great if they could either:

A)Somehow teleport this technology to 1992 so we all would have had it during the best days of the NBL

B)Add an archive where we can watch old games from the 1990's and early 2000’s. Especially games that were never broadcast on TV back then, though I suspect the complete lack of game footage would limit the success of this.

Reply #377353 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

The NBL and especially those involved in putting this together should well and truly be applauded.

Not everyone is the same, but I personally would have happily paid $59 just to be able to view all 36ers away games live. So to be able to get ALL games live or on demand is fantastic.

This season is just getting better and better and it hasn't even begun yet.

Reply #377356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If there are commentators on every game, where are they getting them from? Is there a breeding ground for basketball commentators?

Reply #377363 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I believe it will be broadcast quality ie multiple cameras and commentary, with cut up highlights also provided post game.

Reply #377367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So games can only be watched on mobile devices??

Reply #377370 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

It's definitely reasonably priced, which will hopefully entice as many subs as possible.

I do find it bizarre however that non ONE games would be only broadcast over the mobile app rather than over the web...but there are ways around that ;)

Reply #377373 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Ive just pre-registered. i think this is the time we see basketball become the sport it should. hopefully we can grow the TV audiences, grow the participation, grow the revenue, new Brisbane team and 2nd melbourne team, lift the cap and bring home some of our quality overseas players. Seeing some good steps forward now. No complaints from me.

Reply #377378 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Im not sure that's correct, as it's written differently elsewhere, andwhat I has heard was also different. Hopefully the league will clear that up soon.

Reply #377380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A monthly pass will also be available for $19.

Reply #377398 | Report this post

Phantom  
Years ago

Getting good press around the country

http://www.bandt.com.au/news/media/basketball-blazes-trail-with-digital-streaming-rig

Reply #377404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have a question...

If you were to only purchase through FIBA.TV for $99 a year, does that still include NBL under this new deal? It would be much better to go through FIBA as they show all fiba competition basketball and also leagues from around the country

Reply #377405 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

FIBA TV was (still is?) region locked.

Reply #377413 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

From the home page of nbl.tv

'On your computer, iPad or iPhone, you'll be able to access NBL.TV from home or on the go.'

So to answer questions above, it is available on computer not just mobiles and iPads.

Reply #377415 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

They just confirmed on Twitter that all matches will have commentry.

Reply #377419 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NBL_TV on Twitter:

Five cameras will be streaming from each venue and we'll have commentators covering every match.
You'll be able to watch NBLTV on PC, Mobile and Tablet. Channel Ten matches will be simulcast on your PC.
There won't be any set holdback period, we're aiming to have the video ready as quickly as possible.

Reply #377421 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

We know that "nbl.tv" is available on PCs as well as mobile. The confusion is over live games, because of the wording of the disclaimer:

"^All matches live on smart-phone and tablet"

this could mean either

"live matches also available on smart phone and tablet"

or

"Live games are only available on smart phone and tablet"

Reply #377423 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

hah, Isaac posts as I was typing. Cheers for the clarification.

Reply #377424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you get the pass all the games will be shown live right?

Reply #377425 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I doubt the 9.30pm Friday night ONE games will be live, I think they will be simulcast at 9.30.

Reply #377429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chance of this being 'BigPond Unmetered' lol?

Reply #377439 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

More likely that it would be 'iinet freezone'

I am hopeful but not confident on this.

Reply #377441 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I see it as all games live on the PC/laptop, Ipad, Smartphone, IPTV

Reply #377448 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

So has there been any clarification on geographical restrictions? currently living in the UK so sort of important before i jump in.

Reply #377450 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Australia Only.

Not even New Zealand gets it

Reply #377451 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

Balls to that!

Reply #377453 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

KK said on SEN pretty much anywhere in the world?

Reply #377454 | Report this post

Opt  
Years ago

Wonder if it will go unmetered to iinet and internode users

Reply #377456 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Sounds awesome.
Only issue I can possibly see is download charges. Especially on phone/tablet.
If it's unmetered, best thing this league's seen for a fair while. Even if not, still pretty exciting.

Reply #377459 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

New Zealand dont get it because of Sky TV deal I think.

Reply #377461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So its actually not true about "Every NBL game telecast" because 14 NZ home games won't be telecast on nbl.tv

Reply #377467 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think the SKY TV Games will be broadcast online

Reply #377470 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Fantastic initiative from the NBL to do this! I've signed up for the earlybird special already. Looking forward to the season.

Reply #377478 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a great idea paying $59 at the discounted rate to see iton your fone.
Who are they kidding.

Reply #377482 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

^what are you on about? did you not read that its live on phones, tables, and PC's.

Reply #377489 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

*tablets

Reply #377490 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, Sky and Ten games are simulcast on NBL.TV

Reply #377494 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Definitely hooking up the laptop to my tv via HDMI cable and getting this League Pass. Awesome!

Reply #377510 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Anyone know how many people they're expecting to sign up? LOVE the idea but if it's not profitable (or just breaking even) then will it be sustainable?

Assuming you get 5000 on average to a Sixers game there might be 3000 households attending, so assuming every household is tech savy and is comfortable enough watching things through the internet there might be 3000 subscriptions from Adelaide. If we assume roughly the same for the Australian teams in the league that makes it 18,000, then assume some extras for die hard fans from Brisbane and other other places without teams and maybe you're up to 25,000.

Assume 30% get the earlybird at $59 and the rest pay full tote odds at $79 that equates to a touch over $1.8m in revenue. Doesn't seem like enough to cover cameras, commentators, bandwidth and other costs for every match.

Is there corporate backing somewhere? Or are my numbers way off?

Reply #377513 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Billo I think your numbers are off for the total amount of people that want to get the subscription.

Of the 3000 house holds I think they will be lucky to get 10% of that. I would think more like 2-4% 60 to 120 subscriptions in SA.

Reply #377514 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

36ers averaged around 900 viewers at $5 per game when it was done a few years ago.

Reply #377515 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Also possible that there will be additional revenue via advertising on the NBL.tv website? and/or timeouts, half time etc?

Reply #377516 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

Go back to 48 minutes

Reply #377519 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

and jump balls

Reply #377520 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Billo, revenue will also come from advertising and selling rights to overseas broadcasters, betting agencies etc. It could also be set up as a product local broadcasters can buy if they wanted to screen their city's games.

Reply #377521 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

King James - I thought I was being pretty generous with the 3000 estimate but I'd suggest the uptake in SA will be way higher than the 60-120 you suggested. Think of all the district kids who will be badgering their parents to get it, and at $59 for a whole season it's cheaper than taking a family to just one game so it's a pretty thing to say yes to from a parental point of view. Then there's the uni guys who'll get mates round with a carton to watch the game as a cheap night in. On Hoops SA alone there's at least 60 regular posters who would likely all get it.

Billo, revenue will also come from advertising and selling rights to overseas broadcasters, betting agencies etc

It's a sad state of affairs when our league is being propped up by foreigners with gambling problems! Still though, it's good to know that there are other revenue streams and it won't rely 100% on subscriptions.

Reply #377524 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Is anyone worried about crowd attendances? This takes money from the team owners pocket, and puts it into the NBL, right? (assuming people choose this over attending).

Dont get me wrong, great idea. Just wonder about the long term sustainability of this and the teams.

Reply #377527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to the West Australian newspaper: "PERFORM Group will absorb production costs and keep a large percentage of the advertising revenue from it's broadcasts. BA will benefit from NBL.tv subscription fees which have been set at $79 for a full season or $19 for a single month".

Reply #377528 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

I do not think this will hurt ticket sales.

I would say 90%+ of people who get it will be season ticket holders/regular attendees anyway.

Reply #377530 | Report this post

tyrell  
Years ago

On another note (I will definitely be signing up anyway) but does this mean that ALL games will therefore be available on other livestreaming sites?

Reply #377533 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Agree with alexkrad

Casual fans that go to a few games a year wouldn't buy the league pass.

Reply #377537 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

tyrell - Only if someone live caps the games. Which may or may not happen. But we (AndTheFoul) won't be promoting any pirated live feeds any longer, just the official league pass.

Reply #377538 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nat, I know a couple of guys already who have registered for the league pass who rarely go to an NBL game, they just watch on TV.

Reply #377539 | Report this post

Years ago

i work shift work and miss a lot of 36er home games - count me in for this on line pass.

Reply #377557 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i have very limited tech skills but....i just bought a samsung smart 3D tv and have wireless connection....can i watch these games on my tv through the internet??

Reply #377560 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

About to go buy an apple TV to mirror my ipad to my tv. Will this be the best option short of plugging my computer into the tv? I have a desktop not a laptop so keen on exploring other options. Anyone already doing this for NBA league pass? Is this quality good?

Reply #377561 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

You can plug your computer to your TV (most TVs these days) through your HDMI cable.

Reply #377568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only if your computer has an HDMI port which mine doesnt (the TV does though).

Reply #377572 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

nat- i did hear you could plug in but my tv is in the kids rumpus room about 20 mts away from computer,
thats why i was wondering if it can be done through wireless connection??

Reply #377573 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Only problem with that is I would need a 20 meter hdmi cable!

Reply #377576 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I'm curious to know whether this is part of the FIBA pass since I've already paid for that. The point about paying the $100-ish for the full FIBA package, if the NBL is a part of it, is worth exploring too.

Also, have we got clarification on the geo-restrictions? For those outside Australia, an Australian proxy is an option, but tends to be a bit slow from my experience.

Reply #377581 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

alexkrad- are you one of my kids??

just joking !!

Reply #377583 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A whole lot of us bball fans are about to get crash courses in technology!

Reply #377585 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

At FIBA.tv, the US$108 annual pass says that it provides "full access to watch LIVE basketball from the following Federations: Euroleague, FIBA, ACB (Spain), CBA (China), NBL (Australia), PBA (Philippines), VTB (Eastern & Northern Europe)". https://secure.fibatv.com/buy

My recollection, though, was that it said that months ago, so I'm not sure if this new deal changes anything. There's also a likelihood that FIBA.tv subscriptions won't include the phone/tablet access.

Also worth noting that the monthly fee is US$16, less than the NBL.tv's monthly fee.

Not sure to what degree FIBA.tv tends to geo-restrict access.

Further exploration of the FIBA.tv site suggests that it is also operated by Perform. So it looks like NBL will be available through that, but the question is whether they geo-restrict access.

Reply #377589 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Simply great news. That Kristina Keneally's more than a pretty face.

Reply #377593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not so much to do with Keneally. Flanagan is the driver of this.

Reply #377597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would have been organised a long time before Keneally was in the picture (sorry).

Reply #377613 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"About to go buy an apple TV to mirror my ipad to my tv. Will this be the best option short of plugging my computer into the tv? I have a desktop not a laptop so keen on exploring other options. Anyone already doing this for NBA league pass? Is this quality good?"

Alexkrad, unless you have plenty of cash to waste, I'd just use your regular monitor (vga) cable. Most TVs would have a socket for that these days and the quality will be fine. You can buy quite long ones if needed too.

I have been watching NBA league pass this way for sometime and it looks great, so I doubt you'd have any problem with the NBL either.

Reply #377618 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I hope this doesn't decrease crowds and I hope clubs get a share in some of the revenue.

Reply #377619 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

This new deal also allows fan sites (such as AndTheFoul) to have embedded NBL videos/highlights at no cost to the site, or any time wasted on recording/editing/uploading.

Which was a pain in the arse last year. But now we can have instant highlights to go with our other new features for the new season.

Reply #377681 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Beantown - Problem with running a cable is my study is basically on the opposite corner of the house to my TV. Wireless is the way to go.

When I used to have a laptop I would plug that into my tv to watch downloaded yv shows and movies. So I am aware my TV is capable of doing it that way.

I bit the bullet and bought an apple TV anyway and tried it out last night. Streams music and video from my computer no drama and mirrored my ipad screen running NBA.tv app highlights no problems either.

Reply #377688 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

rjd, I think NZ is the only restriction and the NBL are still looking at that (presumably an issue with Sky). Should be fine everywhere else. As AndTheFoul suggested, families of imports could watch their games from the States.

Reply #377714 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I signed up to the early bird special back in August but haven't heard anything from the NBL TV organisers yet.

Anyone know when we'll be asked to pay for our subscription?

Reply #380385 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

They told me this coming week we should get an email

Reply #380389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They said last week they everyone will be notified, this week, now gone!!!
very poor communications to say at the least. Lets hope the technology works better than their PR.

Reply #380403 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Thanks Skip

Reply #380412 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:22 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754