Apu
Years ago

Rookie umpires

When is BASA going to look after the referee situation...for 4 weeks in a row centrals women have had 2 first year officials why aren't the officials on a mentoring system where a senior and a junior umpire the games together at least then one umpire can control the game and maybe teach the junior official a little about the flow of an ABA game.

For the record the umpires did as well as they could but 1 experienced umpire would make all the difference to the flow of the game.

Topic #2919 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was very impressed with the referee's on the women's game

hadn't seen them before I thought they handle the game very well.

they did not impact on the game
and should be roundly congratulated on their effort.

Reply #33124 | Report this post

supporter  
Years ago

#33124 I would have to agree with you. I thought all 4 refs at the Dome last night did an extremely good job.

Reply #33126 | Report this post

Degenerate  
Years ago

I think that when you don't have the resources of experiuenced ref's you can't use them, it would seem you're alone on this one Apu

Reply #33127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

apu the other week against eastern at home Centrals had Matthew Peppecilli with a rookie you can not classify Matt as a first year ref so the rookie did have a mentor

the week before at home you had mike gibson and bruce northcote (white shoes) neither are first time refs

what is your point again?

Reply #33133 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Anon #33124........sounds promising anon, refs shouldn't have an impact on the game and should have the professionalism not to have an impact on the game. I also believe that any ref on any game of this level, should do the job they are paid for, not banter and joke around with players and coaches on one team..........it doesn't look good. Have a chat and a joke after the game not during, as was the case with the umpires that did the Mavs V Bearcats game last night.

Reply #33153 | Report this post

White Shoes  
Years ago

Actually it was Chris Clarke with me (certainly still not a rookie), not Mike Gibson.

Reply #33286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NOrthcote was wearing white shoes?? that would have looked good....
lol

Reply #33307 | Report this post

White Shoes  
Years ago

Yes, I looked and felt foolish. I'll be packing my bag more carefully in future. Hopefully my umpiring was of a higher calibre than my attire.
-Bruce.

Reply #33320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

come on bruce the white shoes were trend setting i can see it catch on.

after all who other than referee's try to buy totally black shoes

a move to white shoes would be a good one

Reply #33356 | Report this post

what the???  
Years ago

maybe he can wear his white shoes when he is away at nationals :)

Reply #33369 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754