Jack Toft
Years ago

Div 1 Country?

With all the discussion about country players at various Metro clubs and whether Norwood are now the Kadina Flames or the Norwood Yorkers, perhaps an improvement might be to expand the Div 1 competition to 12 teams and include the Magpie and Sharks teams during the winter season. Their home base to be say the Dome (neutral and central)

The benefits are obviously a couple of strong teams in the competition, they get the practice they need, country players have a recognised good pathway, and long term, SAC/Basketball Adelaide would have stronger links.

Thoughts?

Topic #29199 | Report this topic

Blue goon  
Years ago

...and would make some "regular" clubs teams (that have country players) even weaker.
There are not enough good players to cover 10 teams in D1, let alone 12.

Not to mention Eastern would become virtually non-existant.

Reply #377780 | Report this post

Nix 21  
Years ago

Not to mention what happens on a week where there is a country carnival over summer where that have to forfiet.

Nor what happens when a better country kid wants better coaching and 'decides' they want to move and the country team gets so bad no one wants to play, and they all move to metro teams.

Reply #377788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too hard to get kids from Mt Gambier, Broken Hill, Yorke Valley, Whyally etc to train on a regular weekly basis. I will not take my child away from Metro Coaching for what SAC currently offers.

Reply #377795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Problem is that is that country selections are normally political, based on the DNSP coach or country council member involved in the association. You'd get a disaster, with certain regions player's dominating selections and poisening the quality and professionalism of the district competition.

Let them play in district clubs where they are selected on merit.

Reply #377801 | Report this post

Town_of_Country  
Years ago

I completely agree that Norwood is becoming very country, because of the head coach of Norwoods program is still involved SA Country Basketball.

However this idea would be completely ruined within a season because it wouldn't be viable and many kids from Country areas would have the same problem that certain coaches will pick certain people, just like everywhere in Australia (@ anon above).

If kids want to play up in Adelaide from Country regions let them do so and keep showing up the Metropolitain kids.

Reply #377844 | Report this post

Years ago

would hurt eastern and i cant see a player coming from roxby on a friday afternoon.

Reply #377854 | Report this post

Bruce  
Years ago

I have no doubt you could get up a div I group of teams from country since their is already enough country kids playing metro ,I couldn't see too many parents driving 2 hrs or more to play div 2. It was interesting to see the centrals u14 div 1 girls go through to the gf tonight defeating the previously undefeated forrestville side. 4 of the centrals girls went to albury in January and some are in their 4th season at lions

Reply #377899 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:56 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754